Need Advice on DIY Home Cinema

Samboy2012

Novice Member
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and new to setting up a home cinema as well. Looking for advice from the more experienced ones on a new home cinema setup.

Here are the room dimension and the config,

It's a 5.1.2 atmos setup for a small room,

Room size - 3.5m x 4.2m
Receiver - Marantz SR5015
Projector - Optoma UHD35+
CC - Infinity by Harman Reference RC263
FR, FL - Polk Audio rti a7
RR, RL - JBL Studio 210
Surround - Pair of KEF ci130er
Sub - Polk Audio HTS10

Now the questions I have,
1. Is it okay to mix and match speakers from different brand? Or, should I stick to just one brand (heard something abiut timbre but is that noticeable?)
2. What do you think of the above config?
3. Can you recommend a better config? My budget is around AU$8k for everything (I got the cabling done already incl. Hdmi)

Appreciate your response and thank you in advance!

- Sammy

gibbsy

It's pretty important that you have the front three from the same manufacturer and model range. It will preserve timbre across the front soundstage. They are the speakers that are going to bear the brunt off audio from any source. Surrounds, again preferable to have from the same manufacturer but is certainly not a rule written in stone.

If you go for different manufacturers in the front three, which will be the centre no doubt, then that's your choice and you may just get away with it or be able to live them. Not some thing that I would personally do.

Placements of surrounds, along with the fronts, is very important in a 5.1.2 set up. None of the base speakers should be placed any higher than a seated head height. The surrounds may be placed a little higher but not by much, usually to give a good line of sight to the MLP. There has to be a good separation between the base level and the Atmos domain for it to sound as intended.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and new to setting up a home cinema as well. Looking for advice from the more experienced ones on a new home cinema setup.

Here are the room dimension and the config,

It's a 5.1.2 atmos setup for a small room,

Room size - 3.5m x 4.2m
Receiver - Marantz SR5015
Projector - Optoma UHD35+
CC - Infinity by Harman Reference RC263
FR, FL - Polk Audio rti a7
RR, RL - JBL Studio 210
Surround - Pair of KEF ci130er
Sub - Polk Audio HTS10

Now the questions I have,
1. Is it okay to mix and match speakers from different brand? Or, should I stick to just one brand (heard something abiut timbre but is that noticeable?)
2. What do you think of the above config?
3. Can you recommend a better config? My budget is around AU$8k for everything (I got the cabling done already incl. Hdmi)

Appreciate your response and thank you in advance!

- Sammy

Ideally you would swap the Polk RTI speakers to Infinity floorstanders from same range as you have the very good center channel from the Reference range. I`m not sure can you find these anymore:

Do you like what you hear now after you have run Audussey setup? Or does it sound bit mixed? I´m trying to figure out what you feel is missing or wrong with the system.

If i would change something i would start from subwoofer(s). That Polk sub would leave me cold. It´s decent from the budget subs, but also very small with high port tuning so you are missing lot of deep bass effects with blockbuster movies and if you buy quality product the bass quality should be on another level aswell. If you have kind of dedicated room with few placement options i would buy two right away because of the benefits of dual subwoofers. I will post you short article why 99,9% hometheater hobbyist buys multiple subwoofers.

I see you have two local dealers in Brisbane after some googling. They both have the new models on offer. I will also link SVS home page so you can get all the information you need. If you aren`t familiar with the brand it`s one of the most known subwoofer manufacturer who actually makes great speakers too for Home Theater, very popular in US (Ultra range). Products come with long warranty and great 24/7/365 support with daily chat on their site aswell. Long story short. Adding two quality subwoofers in your ~15sqm room would surely make a hell of change from the uber cheap Polk sub! This 1000 Pro range is their lowest but offers great bang for buck.

Tell me what you think of this, do you feel they are too large, would the smaller SB2000 Pro (x2) work better size/space wise or do you feel you want to put the money in to new speakers directly.

Samboy2012

Novice Member
It's pretty important that you have the front three from the same manufacturer and model range. It will preserve timbre across the front soundstage. They are the speakers that are going to bear the brunt off audio from any source. Surrounds, again preferable to have from the same manufacturer but is certainly not a rule written in stone.

If you go for different manufacturers in the front three, which will be the centre no doubt, then that's your choice and you may just get away with it or be able to live them. Not some thing that I would personally do.

Placements of surrounds, along with the fronts, is very important in a 5.1.2 set up. None of the base speakers should be placed any higher than a seated head height. The surrounds may be placed a little higher but not by much, usually to give a good line of sight to the MLP. There has to be a good separation between the base level and the Atmos domain for it to sound as intended.
Thanks heaps mate...I just bought the CC and the projector so far. Will be pairing it up with the floor standers as advised. For placements, I'm following the guidelines by Dolby Atmos and will be placing speakers just the way they should. Appreciate the support mate!

Samboy2012

Novice Member
Ideally you would swap the Polk RTI speakers to Infinity floorstanders from same range as you have the very good center channel from the Reference range. I`m not sure can you find these anymore:

Do you like what you hear now after you have run Audussey setup? Or does it sound bit mixed? I´m trying to figure out what you feel is missing or wrong with the system.

If i would change something i would start from subwoofer(s). That Polk sub would leave me cold. It´s decent from the budget subs, but also very small with high port tuning so you are missing lot of deep bass effects with blockbuster movies and if you buy quality product the bass quality should be on another level aswell. If you have kind of dedicated room with few placement options i would buy two right away because of the benefits of dual subwoofers. I will post you short article why 99,9% hometheater hobbyist buys multiple subwoofers.

I see you have two local dealers in Brisbane after some googling. They both have the new models on offer. I will also link SVS home page so you can get all the information you need. If you aren`t familiar with the brand it`s one of the most known subwoofer manufacturer who actually makes great speakers too for Home Theater, very popular in US (Ultra range). Products come with long warranty and great 24/7/365 support with daily chat on their site aswell. Long story short. Adding two quality subwoofers in your ~15sqm room would surely make a hell of change from the uber cheap Polk sub! This 1000 Pro range is their lowest but offers great bang for buck.

Tell me what you think of this, do you feel they are too large, would the smaller SB2000 Pro (x2) work better size/space wise or do you feel you want to put the money in to new speakers directly.
Thanks heaps mate...this is a 'Sound' advice and I love it. Found a dealer who has a pair of reference floor standers...gonna grab that. Also ordering the sub as advised. Will setup everything and are my experience soon! Thanks again!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks heaps mate...this is a 'Sound' advice and I love it. Found a dealer who has a pair of reference floor standers...gonna grab that. Also ordering the sub as advised. Will setup everything and are my experience soon! Thanks again!

Sadly the SR5015 has the lower version of Audussey, SR6015 would have got the better one but you already bought the receiver. It sees them (dual subs) as one so you need to place the subs equidistant from listener so example front corners. Contact SVS if you have any issue setting up them, they are controlled with phone app.

Good call on the towers. Check the model though, 253 has lot smaller drivers and is physically smaller than what you have now so you may be underwhelmed. 263 model is more similar what you have now. Those Infinity speakers should be really good as made in Harman facilities. They make today one of the best speakers (Revel, JBL etc) and i just checked some objective data for your 3-way center channel and it looks very good for the price!

PS. If you order the SVS woofers call both dealers and ask can they give you discount if you buy two. -10% could be possible.

Samboy2012

Novice Member
Ahhh...haven't bought the receiver yet and glad you said this...will be going for SR6015. Should be worth it for that extra few bucks.

For those towers, I checked with the dealer and he has them...the only catch is, they are manufactured in July 2014 but brand new still. Not sure if the components would have degraded by now...what do you reckon? You think I should still go for it?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Ahhh...haven't bought the receiver yet and glad you said this...will be going for SR6015. Should be worth it for that extra few bucks.

For those towers, I checked with the dealer and he has them...the only catch is, they are manufactured in July 2014 but brand new still. Not sure if the components would have degraded by now...what do you reckon? You think I should still go for it?

Great news, either SR6015 or Denon X3700H. Both are very similar machines sharing most internal parts! Definitely worth the jump in few ways and the subwoofers should sound better plus you can then try few other positions aswell. This would be first thing i would try, they can also be opposite to picture below so front left/rear right. If this isn´t possible then perhaps both subs in front corners.

AU_DS_opposing.gif

I would buy the speakers if the price is right. Then you have LCR from same brand and range which is ideal. I don´t believe the center channel was made yesterday either as that model is older. Just negotiate good deal from them, they still new unused so will give you enjoyment for years to come. Not sure about warranty. The price in US has been as low as 400-500$/pair so this should give you some idea what you should pay. Originally it was 1100$/pair and the below reviewer said "they came pretty close to my $3,500/pair Revel F206s ", also they sounded almost identical to center channel which you own they both use identical drivers with 3-way design. What is also important to notice the bass isn´t too strong / pronounced so should be more ideal for your smaller room. Spread them apart good amount ~2,5meters depending how far you sit, toe in them toward listeners slightly and leave 20cm space at least behind speakers and wall! Also optimize the center channel placement, don´t hide it inside cabinet. Place it as close to seated ear height as possible and if lower then angle it up with couple rubber door stoppers under it.

Last edited:

Samboy2012

Novice Member
SR6015 it is! And I agree about the CC...just got that delivered today, checked the package and it's also from Jul 2014. Bought it in a clearance sale for jus AU$299...look and feel are awesome and man, it's a very big one weighing 12 kgs. Spoke to the same shop and got the front pair too on a deal (AU$1200 for the pair) and they're the last pair. Now that I have the center and front from the same Reference R263 series, it should sound better. Thanks heaps for your suggestion mate...really appreciate it! Thanks for the layout too...will post mine once all done. Cheers!

Cinebad

Novice Member
Just to note that I recently bought the same PJ. It's great, but I had a problem with it recognising signals coming through the HDMI 1 port (which is the HDR-enabled one), so I've had to - for now - use the HDMI 2 port, which is still 4k, but not HDR. Still looks great though!

Samboy2012

Novice Member
Hello lads...Hope you are having a relaxing weekend! Just after some advice on the fixed frame projector. I have narrowed down to the 2 options below,

Which one you think would suit better for my projector which is, Optoma UHD 35+ (regular long throw projector). The first one is for long throw projectors but the second one states that it is for ultra short throw...not sure if it would be compatible for long throw pjs.

Appreciate your support as always, thank you!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom