Need advice on decent point & shoot for 74 year old

xyeovillian

Established Member
Reaction score
We are returning to the UK for a 6 week holiday and would like a point & shoot camera, I have a LG G4 with a good camera but can't see a thing in bright sunlight.
Would like a viewfinder was thinking of a Sony RX 100 and also Sony DSCHX90V which is a lot cheaper, I don't want any thing to technical just good photo's. So hoping to get some sunshine on our visit and some memorable shots scenery and family etc

We are returning to the UK for a 6 week holiday and would like a point & shoot camera, I have a LG G4 with a good camera but can't see a thing in bright sunlight.
Would like a viewfinder was thinking of a Sony RX 100 and also Sony DSCHX90V which is a lot cheaper, I don't want any thing to technical just good photo's. So hoping to get some sunshine on our visit and some memorable shots scenery and family etc
Viewfinders are a good option when the sun is bright and you can't see the rear screen. However, those on the RX100-3 and HX90v are pretty small and wouldn't be ideal for and elderly person imo. Of course this depends on how good their eyesight etc is of course and how often they would need the viewfinder.

Unfortunately I can't recommend anything else in the compact camera market with a viewfinder so I would say let them try the RX100-3/4/5 and see how they get on with it.

A visit to a photo-store is needed to get the right solution . . . the viewfinder may be Key, but this will depend on his eyesight . . . if it's good, then only the dioptre adjust is necessary.
Beware that to a newbee, all camera controls are confusing - and if these are family groups then using a tripod+Self-timer may be all he needs.

"Self-timers" are often hidden, so you need to discover how to set them up ( and how to remove the setting for landscapes, etc, later ).
Other considerations may be size + weight - although if he will take a Tripod. . . .
+ Make sure you have a spare battery + formatted memory cards too. Cameras with built-in flash can be useful, when taking pictures indoors - although they do have their limitations
Good Luck.

I have a G4 and with the brightness up full managed on a bright beach "just" but as you say not great and also kills battery life. You could try fitting a matte anti reflective screen protector before splashing out on a camera. RX is tiny take great shots but the lack of viewfinder means youll end up with the same problem unless you go for the Mark 3 which has a viewfinder and is very expensive opening up a whole world of choice.

A visit to a photo-store is needed to get the right solution.

Agree with this, I think it's best to try hands on to see which one works best for you.

The original Q was: "A point and shoot for 74yr old" - So I'm guessing he's not that interested in photography, otherwise there would be a "Starting point"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

LCD screens can be improved hugely by fitting what amounts to a "Slide-viewer" - these were popular with 35mm slides mounted in a 2"x2" card frame.
How:-
If you can stick/glue (and use a craft knife, with care!), then you only need to find a glass lens with a focal length about 50mm. Check this covers the whole LCD screen and then form, find, etc. suitable plastic ( eg tubs) to hold the lens square-on and exclude daylight. Some experimenting is needed !
For my NEX5 I knew I'd be looking for sharp-focus using a manual zoom-lens, outdoors - with a suitable glass lens and yoghurt pot, it was almost right....adding some soft plastic foam meant is stayed in place without scratching the screen. Light blackening applied to the inside and foam-edges and it's done. It is attached with a half-inch elastic band and a small stainless-steel clip which ensures it cannot slide down when in use.

When:-
I still find it useful for "sharp focus" but as I've got better (?), I'm using it less, but this may be in part because the long-focus zoom was damaged ( not by me! - slightly)..... so the camera uses the 3:1 standard Zoom with the AF most of the time. Rarely do I use Manual outdoors...

Hope that helps anyone with a DIY bent.

I finally bought a Sony DSC-HX90V from a local shop I was impressed with the zoom and it was the right price for me, so a big learning curve starts.

Thanks for all the replies of help.

I finally bought a Sony DSC-HX90V from a local shop I was impressed with the zoom and it was the right price for me, so a big learning curve starts.

Thanks for all the replies of help.

Enjoy :) come back and share the results!

Just getting used to my new Sony DSC-HX90V Is the one touch NFC worth bothering wit as I can't seem to get it to work!

Enclosed pic North Island Robin Petroica longipes New Zealand

Attachments

• DSC00135.JPG
    DSC00135.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 47

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom