Need advice on buying a Sony LCD TV

Revv

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I want to buy a Sony LCD TV (40 inch) and I am willing to spend around 800 pounds. The options seems to KDL40-HX723 and KDL40-EX724. I was wondering if you guys could help me out on these points:

1) With these two being almost at the same price the HX723 seems to be the better option (on paper), but I have never been able to compare them side by side with the same size (for some reason it has always been KDL46-HX723 vs KDL40-EX724). Surprisingly the EX looked better (the HX was just too bright), but that could be just bad setup in the Sony showroom. Could someone please confirm if the the HX723 is superior to the EX724? I just want o use it to watch HD content (2D) and some freeview TV.

2) I have searched on the Internet, RGBdirect and Hi-Spek offer the HX723 for 600 quids (after cashback). I dont understand why this is an in store offer only. Are these offers legitimate? Any downsides of buying from them? Generally where would you recommend to buy from?

Many thanks in advance,

Sorry can't comment on the difference between the two TV's and which is the superior model. However, with regards to buying from somewhere I always use Richer Sounds. Many of people use them too, always cheap prices, great service etc. For example at RS they only charge 10% of the price of the TV for a 5 year guarantee with it. Cant go wrong at that.

People also buy from places like John Lewis.

Reviews

Sony HX723 (KDL-40HX723) 3D LED LCD TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online
Sony EX723 (KDL- 37EX723) 37 Inch 3D LED LCD TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

Not sure why you need a 3D TV for 2D only content though?

If you don't want too bright, look at plasmas, like the Panasonic 42G30 or the 42ST30 or the 42GT30 (but more £££). JL give 5 year warranty as standard and Richer Sounds for just 10% of purchase price

How about calling the retailers and asking them about their deals. I bought a TV from hi-spek years ago, no issues - have been around a long time (as have RGB)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom