1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on buying 1st camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by raf, Sep 2, 2005.

1. raf

raf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we are looking to buy our first camcorder and there is so much choice out there. However we really want to find a cheap/budget camcorder. Our main requirement is to film holidays, birthdays, friends reunions, possible try to produce a music video.

I have come across the panasonic NVGS17 which is currently £200. It seems to have the main features incl manual white balance adjustment.

Can anyone comment on this camera, if it is any good?
    Suggest alternatives?
    What about any suggestions on second hand cameras that appear on ebay?

ANy help would be great.

Thanks
    Raf

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most miniDV's will do what you want, apart from Music Videos.

Seriously.

Where are you piching your video at?, to watch at home every five years for a laugh or to get broadcast?

If you want broadcast then I would suggest hiring a professional camera & lights in (which will probably cost you more per day than a GS17)

To get anything decent out of a single camera shoot then you have to be very very disciplined, have your edit planned out on paper first then work backwards.

Every budding director wants to do music videos, very few want to do it well (by any other standards than thier own)

Don't want to pith on your parade but making professional quality video requires professional ability (absolutely) and equipment (generally)

Like it or not you will be vying against people with 6 figure budgets and double figure years of experience.

3. raf

raf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info. Regarding the Music video it would be more of an experiment than anything really professional.
    I have come across the Sony C19 which is a fraction more than the panasonic.
    Does anyone know if the sony lens is really that much better compared to the panasonic lens?

I have always owed Panasonic stuff and it has never let me down (touch wood :) )

4. Aesma_Daeva

Aesma_Daeva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Raf, I bought a jvc camcorder off ebay about 6 months ago, and now I'm looking for a new cam. Two things - 1 - I won't buy a jvc camcorder. Google 'jvc blue screen' or 'jvc tracking error' for more info. Secondly, I'm left with a feeling that maybe the guy on ebay sold the cam because of the problems it's got but I can't be sure. The thing is, if like me you want to record your kids, holidays etc you want to be sure that the recording is going to work every time. I've just lost a whole 60 mins of footage due to the tracking error, and I'm gutted. If the things you are recording are important, then spend a bit of extra for a good quality cam that you can trust.

FYI, I'm currently deciding between either a Canon MV850i or a Sony DCR-HC22. If anyone has any comments on either of these, I'd like to hear.

Thanks

Paul

[vonhosen - edited comments as per forum rules on libellous defamatory posts]