Need advice on bass null / boundary interference

Martiba

Hi there,
I have an annoying lack of bass near the center of my room where my couch is placed. I suppose this is caused by boundary interference from reflections off the back wall. The bass is very pronounced in and around the corner where the standing light is placed on the photo, but very lacking in the area of null.

The back wall and corner is covered with some type of light thin wood. The rest of the walls and ceiling are concrete with some light wallpaper. On the map my subwoofer (Harman Kardon HK SUB-TS11) is red, the other speakers (B&W CC6 S2 + B&W DM302) are green. The area of null is spray painted orange.

I'm looking for a simple option to get more bass in the couch area. Budgets are tight. I was looking at a corner bass trap to place in the tri-corner above the lamp, but the seller said it may not be 100% efficient in my case. I'm not looking for a perfect solution but i'd like to figure what I can do to give me the most gains. Broadband absorbers on the back wall? Bass trap in the tri-corner? Bass traps on the wall/ceiling corner?

livingroom.jpg
livingroom.png

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
The simplest option would be to move the woofer where the seating is and then walk around the room to see where it still sounds as strong. Then place the woofer there and check to see if this has resolved your issue on the settee. You may need to try a few places as you may find it booms in other areas to, so its a small trial and error project for you to play with. If it works, the only thing you may need to purchase will be a new subwoofer cable :)

Martiba

The simplest option would be to move the woofer where the seating is and then walk around the room to see where it still sounds as strong. Then place the woofer there and check to see if this has resolved your issue on the settee. You may need to try a few places as you may find it booms in other areas to, so its a small trial and error project for you to play with. If it works, the only thing you may need to purchase will be a new subwoofer cable :)
You are right and that is at least the cheapest option, not as simple as it looks though, since there is not a lot of space to put the large subwoofer, and yes i will need a long SW cable :) (putting the sub on the left side of the room means i need at least 10 meters - the receiver is on a rack to left of the sub in the picture). It is something i will try and hope i will find a place where the sub can actually move to.
Hanging a broadband absorber on the wall is also an affordable option to me, as that wall needs some decoration too. But i don't know if it will help. I would even buy a bass trap if that is the only way to solve the problem, but again i don't know.

Last edited:

Martiba

So i got a 20m. SW/RCA video cable (little overkill but hey it was only €14 - proper double shielded OFC) and did the sub crawl.
With the sub placed on the listening position the low frequency was still most prevalent in the corner where the lamp is. So i placed the sub there and now the null area has moved a little to the front, just out of the listening position! It's a little too close to the wall but the sound is already much improved!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom