1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need advice on av equipment purchase

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by razorlight, Jun 23, 2005.

1. razorlight

razorlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered a Panasonic TH42PV500 and have a budget of £2000 to get a DVD Player, Receiver and Speakers. I have read lots of reviews and looked in the forums and I am non the wiser. I will be plugging in the following.

Play Station 2
    Sky box
    Media PC (DVI/VGA output)
    Panasonic es10 DVD recorder

I have Denon audio kit and have been happy with that but a friend of mine does not recommend Denon.

Any comments welcome :lease:

Razorlight

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    What are his reasons for not giving Denon his blessing? And what is his preference? This might give a clue to his reasoning because obviously there will be Denon fans and 'other' fans here. Some will say Denon is not good enough, others will say too expensive for what it is. The basis of his supposition will enable us to steer our responses accordingly.

3. razorlight

razorlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to buy this configuration, does anyone have this setup. If you read all the magazine review this should be quit a good system. My freind say that he had lots of firmware and Progressive Scan problems with his Denon DVD Player and ended up returning his and getting a philips player instead. Are the new Denon models less prone to error? Id the SAMSUNG
    DVD-HD850/XEU any good it is very cheap and why spend £500 when the samsung £110.

I whant to hook the DVD player via the HDMI socket on the PV500

DENON DVD2910 DVD PLAYER
    DENON AVR-2105 RECIEVER
    KEF KHT2005.2 Speaker

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I can certainly speak for the 2910. Its early versions did have a number of problems, all of which have been put right by subsequent firmware updates. It is now a pretty mature product and the only reason I would consider changing mine would be to use Denon link on a 3910. It does DVD and multichannel music better than anything I personally have seen and heard before and the worst I can say about it is its CD playback doesn't quite reach the same heights. I made it multiregion myself for the cost of a blank cd and I have been sufficiently impressed to commit to buying a 3805 receiver on payday.

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would ditch the DVD player and buy a cheap SDI modified Panasonic machine and hook it up to an appropriate scaler. You will then get best video quality for all sources as they will all be scaled to the panels native res :smashin: