Need advice on audio setup - Noob Alert!

mr_m_cox

Standard Member
Hi All,

I have been thinking for a while now about improving my sound set up but there are so many options and ways of doing things I am a bit lost.

I dont have alot of cash so price is very important. Cheap = good on this one.

I currently have an LG 42" 5010, Sky+ and a PS3.

My immediate thought was to go 5.1 but I only have a very small lounge so maybe this is overkill but then if i go for less I am getting less quality surround sound?

Please suggest what my best option might be.

Thanks

davepuma

Distinguished Member
If you don't mind 2.1 the Onkyo HTX-22HD seems to be getting mentioned a lot. You can add extra speakers later should you choose to go 5.1. Any receiver will work in 2.1 mode.

In the end though, your definition of cheap might not be the same as everyone elses! Remember you can always start with a receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers and perhaps add a sub later as funds allow.

I appreciate that you are looking at 2.1 but I think you would be missing out on the full movie effect. 5.1 is def. the way to go IMO.

mr_m_cox

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at the package you suggested and I do like it but that sub/amp looks massive.

Due to the small size of my lounge size is an issue.

Any more replies are greatfully recieved

dante01

Distinguished Member
What about the Sony STRDH800 (£280 pre order)
Play.com (UK) : Sony STR-DH800 Receiver : Electronics - Free Delivery

and …

KEF KHT1005.2 5.1 speaker package (£230)
KEF KHT1005.2-SIL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

The speakers are very compact, but manage to maintain some degree of musical ability in comparison to many of the other similarly sized speaker packages. The sub is particularly impressive given its size. The Kube 1 sub povideds 150W of on board amplifier, but only measures 295 x 295 x 295 mm.

mr_m_cox

Standard Member
As a budget I was thinking around £250 all in.

I know that for alot of the 'pro's' on these forums that is the cost of a single speaker but for me that is a lot of £.

I have been looking things such as

Currys - Shop for Hi-Fi Surround Sound - LG HT 503PH Home Cinema System

or

Currys - Shop for Hi-Fi Surround Sound - LG HT554PH LG Home Cinema System 5.1 HT554PH

I know they dont have the greatest quality to them but I am not enough of an expert to notice. I just want to take a bit more advantage of game/film/tv audio than just using the stock inbuilt tv speakers. For this purpose the LG/samsung/sony 'all in one' systems seem good

dante01

Distinguished Member
As a budget I was thinking around £250 all in.

I know that for alot of the 'pro's' on these forums that is the cost of a single speaker but for me that is a lot of £.

I have been looking things such as

Currys - Shop for Hi-Fi Surround Sound - LG HT 503PH Home Cinema System

or

Currys - Shop for Hi-Fi Surround Sound - LG HT554PH LG Home Cinema System 5.1 HT554PH

I know they dont have the greatest quality to them but I am not enough of an expert to notice. I just want to take a bit more advantage of game/film/tv audio than just using the stock inbuilt tv speakers. For this purpose the LG/samsung/sony 'all in one' systems seem good

Unfortunately, you don't need to be an expert in order to detect the inferiority of these units. I'd even go as far as to say that they are overpriced for what they are!

But your budget restricts the options open to you and you may have no other options apart from such units? Also, do you realise that both units include an upscaling DVD? Do you want such or is this an oversight o your part? You are probably paying over the odds just for the inclusion of the DVD player and appear to be buying items that are surplus to requirements???

Last edited:

mr_m_cox

Standard Member
I do not need a DVD player as I use the PS3 for such things.

I surely need something inbetween the sky box, PS3 and TV. I would love to have a bells and whistles av reciever but that is not an option so the dvd option seemed better.

Will I be able to connect everthing with it? or do I need a cheap avreciever to do the job?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
These all in a box systems do often allow for a few things to be connected in to them although these tend to be limited in the type and number. You will struggle to get anything seperate wise for £170. However, it can be done with a little searching.
Do you have a Richer Sounds near you? If so have a look what is in there clearance section (also have a similar section the website too). Ebay could also come up with a av reciever that is cheap (under £100). My first speakers I bought as a 5 speaker system from Comet for £100 (included a set of floorstanders, bookshelfs and a centre). These were not the best quality byt sounded much better than the TV speakers. Richersounds also do some cheap bookshelf speakers (I believe as low as £10 a pair) again not great quality but will get you started. Cheap subs can also be bought from Richersounds from £100 or so, Hence for the price of the more expensive system you linked too you could just squeeze a full 5.1 system. It will not be the best quality but it will be surround sound and much better than normal TV speakers. Also give you a great base to start from with possible upgrades in the future as funds allow (all in one boxes can not be upgraded easily).

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom