Need advice on advice given in shops

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by ilweran, Aug 25, 2006.

1. ilweran

ilweran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    As I had the afternoon off today I decided to have a look at dSLR's, and would like some advice on the advice I've been given :rolleyes:

First off I went into Jessops. The member of staff I spoke to there was very biased towards Canon, thought I should go for the Canon 350D, and said Canon lenses were cheaper and better quality that Nikon.

I explained I would mainly be taking photos of landscapes and macro, so he also suggested a Sigma macro lens, Cokin filter system with a circular polariser, UV and ND filters.

Then I went along to a cluttered, dark, independent camera shop. There I was advised that Nikon are far superior to Canon, sugested I go for the D50, and also get the UV & circular polariser, and, interestingly suggested a close-up filter as a cheaper option to the macro, and I could get the macro lens at a later date. He also suggested a few non-SLR's as cheaper options.

I'm inclined to go along with the independent shop, but then as someone who spends a lot of time in dark and cluttered second-hand book shops, and who used to work in a brightly lit department store I'm a bit biased against chains. But I'm also feeling tempted by the Canon, even though I was fairly sure I was going to go for the Nikon.

Interestingly both steered me away from more expensive models such as the Nikon D80, which I know I only want because it's shiny and new, but thought asking would be a useful test.

2. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    from what i know on the subject their is very little between the two cameras you mentioned (the d50 and 350d) and the brands in general.

The advice about the close-up filters seems sensible to me to see if you enjoy that type of photography and you can upgrade to a proper 1:1 macro lens later.

I personally own the d50 and based the decision purely on how the camera felt in my hand (the 350d was too small for me even though i have small hands). Very happy with the results and think its a great starting point in dSLR photography.

Dont know too much about the cokin filter system but think i can remember someone a while back saying its not very good but others will have to confirm that. Have a feel of the two cameras and see which your most comfortable with, you wont be disappointed with either.

Michael

3. JonathanKnight

JonathanKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Canon have annonced the 400D so Jessops are obviously wanting to shift any 350Ds that they have

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    It's the most widely used filter system in the photography world...it is good...it wouldn't have lasted long if it wasn't.

5. steve.o

steve.o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Lee filters are another system similar to cokin. They've got hundreds of different filter types / colours and other accessoris on offer. I havent used them myself so cannot comment directly but there is plenty of info about on them.

...steve.o

6. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I think you've been given fairly good advice by both Jessops and the independent, albeit they were both slightly biased to either Canon or Nikon.

It's a bit like having to choose between a long term relationship with a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. Either way you will not be disappointed, but they each have their own characteristics and you might for example prefer the button layout of one to the other.

You're going to have to decide between the two, and I would urge you to go back to those shops again, have a physical try of each camera.

For instance, go in and out of all of the menus and decide which one handles better.
    Put a zoom lens on each and see how it feels etc.

I wouldn't get bogged down about filters. Photoshop etc can create most effects - apart from ND, UV and Polarisers, they're the ones to get IMO.

7. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I was in the same position a few weeks ago and I went for the Sony A100, bought it on the day it was released. Jessops were doing it for £750 with the two lens kit; by no means cheap but £100 off the RRP. It felt better in my hands than the Canon and similar to the D50, and I also liked the two dials on top for direct access to common functions such as the white balance, flash, etc. Ofcourse, we now have the Canon 400D and the Nikon D80 also in the mix.

8. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Btw, the advice I had from my Jessops was pretty awful - it was a case of here are the cameras, have a play, see what you think. As myt first DSLR this wasn't particularly helpful, but luckily I had done a lot of background research on t'internet.

9. ilweran

ilweran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Having held both I prefer the feel of the Nikon, and weirdly even though on my Sony camera I'm used to the mode dial being on the right, having it on the left on the Nikon felt fine.

And to think when I joined this forum I was thinking of buying a new camera next year!

10. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Way more expensive though. Cokin or Kood for budget stuff, Hoya for mid-range and Lee for top-end.

11. ilweran

ilweran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Another question- with the D50 is the kit lens any good? I've been reading reviews and some say it is and others say not.