1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on A90 remote link.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by chris, Jul 16, 2005.

1. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Can someone please tell me is it possible to connect a lead from the back of my Denon 3803 ( trigger out 12v ) to the remote in on the A90.
    I know this is how the P90 is connected to the A90, but then i dont think the P90 needs any RC5 codes.

Are the RC5 codes just different voltages and the 12v code would just switch it on....???

Also......if it is possible, what type of lead would i need....??
    Would it be a 3.5 to 3.5 mono, or stereo.....???
    It does not seem to say in the A90 manual, or give any kind of wiring diagram.

cheers.....chris.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The remote in and the 12V trigger out are two very different sockets. Although they look the same they are for different purposes.

The 12V trigger out on the Denon amp is for controlling units with a 12V trigger input such as an electric projection screen. When the Denon is turned on it can be tolf to output a 12v signal which will then tell the screen to drop automatically.

The remote in sock on the A90 is for connecting an external remote sensor, such as the Xantech dinkylink, very useful of the A90 needs to be operated by remote but is in an enclosed space such as an AV cabinet or cupboard.

3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Is that a no then....???? :confused:

Would have thought it might be possible.
    The 12v trigger out on the denon, is in theory the same as the 12v trigger out on the A90.......i.e they both put 12v out of this socket.
    Now when connecting a P90 to an A90, it says connect a lead from the 12v trigger out of the A90 to the remote in of the P90.
    so i would assume that if i was to connect a lead from the 12v out on the denon to the remote in of an P90 it would do the same job and switch it on.
    The A90 says it recives RC5 codes into its remote in, in the range of 5v-15v....so each code would just be a different voltage.
    What i cannot find is any type of diagram to show weather the 12v would be the right voltage for the required RC5 code to switch the A90 on.

Confused......i am. :eek: ......but someone might know what i mean.

4. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I raised a similar question a few months ago and Andy Dutton from Arcam replied saying that the remote out socket of the A90 is a true 12v trigger in that you get a trigger when the amp is on. It does not pass the RC5 remote codes. This is unlike the Alpha 10 which I had before which could pass the RC5 codes out of the remote out socket.

(I asked because I wanted to pass the remote codes from the A90 to my DV27A which is lower in the stack.)

I am not sure how the remote input socket behaves. Maybe Andy will answer when he is back at work.

Finally you can use either mono or stereo cables it does not matter.

I know this does not answer your question directly but it may be useful background.

Regards

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for replying.
    Hopefully someone from Arcam may answer this one for me.
    I'm sure it must be possible, i just need to know the wiring for the plugs.

All i want to do is turn the A90 on when i turn the Denon on, with less remotes.
    Its silly but annoying, when i come home and the kids are sitting there watching a film and it sounds crap because they have not turned the A90 on, which feeds the front L R speakers.

6. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Chris

As an experiment I connected the Trig Out from my P90 to the Remote In on the A90 and switched on the P90. Nothing happened.

I have a feeling that the A90 only responds to RC5 codes and not a normal 12v trigger. However it appears the P90 only responds to a 12v trigger and not the RC5 codes.

I have given up using the remote link between my A90 and P90 because there is a 10-20 second gap before the P90 comes on after turning the A90 on. And again there is a 10 second gap before the P90 turns off after the A90 has been switched off. As I use the P90 for surround duties I find it much better to get up and turn it on when needed.

Good luck

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    OH right....cheers for that.

Another one of my good ideas down the pan.... :rolleyes:

I think i'll just have to try programing one of the multi function buttons on the denon remote and then train the kids to use it... :lesson: