Need advice on a streaming music player with it's own UI

mreed731

Novice Member
Hello, I'm trying to figure out if anyone knows of a unit that will store music, play and stream over wifi that does not require another device as it's interface. Originally I had an ipod connected to my amp through a Pure dock, for this particular application it worked fine but eventually Apple updated it into obsolescence. In January I purchased a Fiio M9 dap to replace the ipod. It has a lot of capabilities and sounds excellent but it will not stay connected to wifi and Fiio, though aware of the problem, has offered no help. But, even if it didnt have this issue, it's rather awkward using such a small device without any kind of dock. Ultimately I'm just trying to avoid using a phone, ipad or PC but rather have an all in one solution to streaming Spotify and playing locally stored files that is either stand alone or can connect through some kind of dock.

muljao

By it's very nature streaming is sending music from a control unit to a player, one unit being a remote control really.

I'm not aware of anything that can access Spotify from it's own interface but at least my comment might give a bump and someone who knows more may reply

robotron

I had a Denon Piccolo which could access Spotify directly through its own UI/the remote.

There were two issues:

1) It was painful browsing such a large media library with a two line display via a remote with a numberpad
2) It's been a while since I used it (replaced with a Yamaha R-N602) but I seem to recall that when Spotify eventually introduced Spotify connect, the unit had a firmware update and Denon removed the ability to access Spotify direct and instead made you use a phone/tablet or PC as a remote.

This thread about a slightly different Denon unit seems to confirm my memory:
Solved: There is no Spotify option on my Denon Ceol N8 any... - The Spotify Community

I'm not sure any players can access Spotify without some form of smartphone or PC anymore.

Edit - If the interface is the issue, how about using an Echo Dot or similar smart device as a voice activated source and feed it into a decent amp? That could play anything from Spotify without the need for a phone.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
What sort of budget do you have? I know you said no PC but you could use a small touchscreen laptop as both source & control. One of the Lenovo Yoga type or similar would allow the keyboard to be tucked out of the way. You don't need much processing power so should be able to find something passively cooled. You'd then just need a USB DAC to get the best sound.

Yoga.jpg

muljao

What sort of budget do you have? I know you said no PC but you could use a small touchscreen laptop as both source & control. One of the Lenovo Yoga type or similar would allow the keyboard to be tucked out of the way. You don't need much processing power so should be able to find something passively cooled. You'd then just need a USB DAC to get the best sound.

View attachment 1141958
This would work with a cheap Android and dragonfly black also if tab has oth output, could be up and running for about 150 pounds

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
This would work with a cheap Android and dragonfly black also if tab has oth output, could be up and running for about 150 pounds
True but you'd then be limited to micro SD storage, which may or may not be enough depending on the source file format & quantity.

Cebolla

True but you'd then be limited to micro SD storage, which may or may not be enough depending on the source file format & quantity.
Didn't the OP request that the device be a replacement for the Fiio M9 dap, which is itself Android based and uses micro SD for storage?

So, presumably it's good enough to hold the OP's current music collection - the OP didn't say otherwise.

Last edited:

mreed731

Novice Member
Thank you for all the replies. Seems you are all correct, and I guess ultimately feeding music from my pc is inevitable. For now I was able to replace the Fiio M9 with a Hiby R6 which I like much better. I swear it took me 2 days to get that M9 playing music, the Hiby took 10 minutes. The screen is much bigger and easier to navigate than the Fiio was, still no dock but definitely a better experience over all.
I do like the idea of a small inexpensive touchscreen laptop dedicated to this purpose. Im going to look into that also, I could use the Hiby as a dac for this and for music for the back yard. Again, thank you for all the help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom