Need Advice on a Proposed Setup in London

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by sainthalo, Jan 10, 2003.

1. sainthalo

sainthalo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, I'm planning a self install system. The only place I can get a clear view south is on the roof. There is already a CT100 sat coax lead running down from an FM aerial and I plan to use that. I plan to install a satellite dish on the chimney (flat roof so hopefully easy peasy!).

I want to get as wide a range of channel content as possible but the sky digital stuff is not really required as I have DTT and would rather focus the dish elsewhere for free channels. Really considering other satellites like Hotbird, Hispasat etc. I plan to use my PC as the receiver with some good software. I dont have a dish or receiver.

Questions:

1) Which satellite should I be pointing at for the best range of content? If I point to hotbird 13E will I get all 6 hotbirds? Ive checked Lyngsat but I dont know what most of the channels are and if they are any good....

2) I have only one coax coming down and am not able to add another coax lead. Is there a LNB (eg monoblock?) which can let me feed two satellites into one coax lead?

3) Can a motorised setup be controlled by a PC card like skystar2 or twinham?

4) What size dish is IN REALITY needed for north london? I dont want the chimney to fall down (strong winds - top of hill) so I can only use a mesh dish of reasonable size...

TIA
    :D