1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on a new TV, Samsung WS32Z046VS.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Weinberg, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok I bought a Panasonic TXPS12 at the beginning of December and as nice as it is, it has a few problems with TV/games. I've searched here and found people had the same problems-ie when camera pans the picture squirms everywhere, when text rolls across it looks odd, the edges of the picture are bent at top/bottom etc. I also paid way too much for it, as I paid £599 from Currys and I could have got it much cheaper online.
    I've found a new TV, the Samsung WS32Z046VS.

This is better as:
    1) It's £514.99 including a cabinet, compared to £599.
    2) It's 32" compared to 28" and therefore very cheap for such a big tv
    3) It has virtual dolby compared to Nicam
    4) It has 100hz/pure flatscreen like my Panasonic
    5) It looks nicer.

So I can't see anything wrong with it. Can anyone comment on it? I read a Hifi Choice review and they loved it.

I want to know also, if the TV will work with my Panasonic Q Gamecube with RGB. Also my Sky box has RGB, and I know that TV's usually support RGB (if they do) with not all of their scart sockets. No site seems to say if it supports RGB, and which of the scart sockets do. Can someone help me out? If my Q doesn't work with it's RGB cable I simply can't buy it.

(edit) I've found Amazon say "NTSC Playback Via SCART". Does this mean anything? And I think I made up the fact there are 2 scart sockets as I can't find anywhere saying how many there are...

So I'd just like to know if the scart sockets support RGB and if the TV will be good, ie as good as the Panasonic when it decides to work well.

2. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTSC is the american version of pal, it means the tv can handle american videos

rgb is nearly always through 1 scart, is there any difference between rgb and compersite?

thats all i know

3. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "NTSC is the american version of pal, it means the tv can handle american videos"
    So will my Japanese gamecube/dvd player thing work? It worked with all other TVs with an RGB cable.

"rgb is nearly always through 1 scart, is there any difference between rgb and compersite?"
    Well RGB provides a much better picture basically. If the Samsung has only one RGB input, I suppose I can put the DVD/GC thing in that socket. If I'm using my Sky box with an RGB cable and the other socket doesn't support RGB, will the picture look worse?

Can anyone tell me if this model TV, or Samsungs support RGB through both of their scart sockets? My Panasonic did 2 out of 3.

4. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok I've thought, that the TV will probably take RGB in at least one scart. If the worst comes to the worst, can I use a multisocket extension thing and attach it to the socket that takes RGB? And then if I use more than one RGB device, the TV will accept them all in RGB?

Also I need to know if Samsung widescreens are reliable. My Panasonic, and many Panasonic's it seems have many problems with geometry. Also if anyone has the specific model or can find out what I asked, that would be a great help. I'm clueless here, and whenever I post no-one helps!

5. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can someone help me? All I want to know is if this TV is any good. Surely I'm not the only person in the world to buy a Samsung flatscreen tv.

6. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can only tell you like it is, I have a Samsung WI 28W 6VN which is on it,s second tube in only two years of light/normal use. I bought a new Samsung WI 28W 6VN which had what can only be described as black specs of dust at the bottom of the screen, this was replaced under warranty for a brand new set complete.
    This second set lasted for 14 months before the picture started to take longer and longer to start up when switching on and looked very bright until settling down, I complained to Samsung who organised new tube to be fitted at no charge. This second tube is starting to show the same problem and I am now going to have to live with it.

7. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok then. But couldn't it be your faulty set which makes the tube 'wear out' like this?
    Anyway, aside from this problem is the TV good? Is the geometry and auto picture size sensing good? And as it's a flatscreen, is the picture as good as it should be? I can take a warranty on the tube, but I'm desperate to know if the picture on the Samsung flatscreens are good. Please get back to me!

8. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just bear in mind this is my second complete set so it can,t be a fault causing the same problem as you have mentioned.
    The picture is good, I would rate as 7/10. Slightly overexposed at times and doesn,t like blues. Apart from that I have no complaints, not a technical whizzkid but if I was buying a new TV I would be looking elsewhere.

9. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok then. I read some reviews of older Samsung widescreens and apparently when using with Sky for example, the picture is really stretched horizontally and not vertically if the broadcast isn't widescreen. Does this happen to you?
    Also your TV model is at least 3 years old now (as in it was released that long ago). The one I'm looking at seems to be a new model, looks totally different to others and I hope corrects problems of older Samsungs.

10. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Some stretching occurs but not enough to spoil the viewing, would appreciate any links you have for reviews of the different Samsung models.
    Anybody else out there had problems with Samsung tubes not lasting as long as they should?

11. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok I've phoned Samsung. I told them about your tube problem, and about things I read about older widescreen models just stretching pictures horizontally to fit the screen making them look stupid.
    Their new flatscreen tubes have a guarantee on them anyway, and they do say a lot of people complained about the older ones wearing out after about a year. However their new tubes are completely different and won't do what the old ones did. Also, the TV I'm looking at is actually a very new model and that's why I can't find anyone who owns one! All the stretching problems are sorted, as they've included loads of modes like other widescreens (autofit and so on, and the picture isn't just stretched).
    So I am going to go ahead with this model. Thanks for your help!