1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on a HTPC silent case

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Logan09, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm in the process of turning my PC into a HTPC, and have been gradually getting the right parts so it'll be ready when I move into my new place at end of september. I'm now looking at which case to get.

I need something that looks nice (maybe like the silverstone LC10) and can fit a full ATX mobo and at least 3 PCI cards (sound cards + dual TV tuners). It needs to be as silent a case as possible (all my components are fairly quiet now).

If anyone has any good ideas, other than the silverstone LC10 (or some opinions of the LC10) they'd be much appreciated.

2. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What's your budget because you've just described a Claritas 360A....

(Search these forums) :)

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    the Accent HT201 fits that spec too, or the bigger HT400

With a Good PSU and 90mm case fans, I can't hear anything but the hard drive..

I'm not very familiar with the Silverstone cases, But some only allow 60mm case fans to be fitted...? not ideal if it's quiet you're after..

Correct me if I'm wrong anybody...I've never owned a silverstone so I'm only quoting rumour here... ;)

4. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beaten to it, man, you are 'the dude'

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    always worth a look for little shiny things... ;)

PCSilent

I'm having me one of those Alloy/Foam HDD enclosure kits....and I mean it this time... :rolleyes:

7. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We use the LC10 and 11 a lot and both are good products. If you don't have too much hot hardware, like a passively cooled X800/6800, then you can run the fans at a slower speed and still get enough airflow.

Do you need a sound card as "most" onboard audio is capable of giving a good quality output to digital co-ax. Some even have Dolby approval now. If that's the case you could look at the LC11 which with the right motherboard will take your two TV tuners and a AGP/PCI Express graphics card.

Alternatives to these are Claritas 360 or DIGN X11, both more expensive but worth a look.

8. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, sorry forgot to put my budget, which is around £100-£150, I may be willing to go higher but I'd rather see what's around at that price first.

I also have a passive-cooled 6600GT, so will need decent airflow I'd imagine (only had it a couple of days and the temps are fine in my current case - Antec P160).

The Accent HT400 looks nice, but a little over my budget. I may well consider it if there is nothing else that really grabs me in my price range. I'm still not sold on the Silverstone cases. I've heard some bad reports about airflow & noise, but then other people have said they're really good. The Claritas is definitely out as that is way over budget for me.

Cheers for the suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming.