Need Advice on a Good stereo Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HighlandeR, Aug 24, 2002.

1. HighlandeR

HighlandeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just need some advice really.

Im looking at getting rid of my Sherwood R925RDS amp, its done fine but im not into dolby digital/AC3 and surround at all anymore.

I only listen to music/TV and play my PC games mainly via headphones, so just really need a good quality Stereo amp, budgets around £100-200 maybe can stretch it.

I dont need it to be particularly loud but I do want an amp with good Bass/treble.

I need to hook up a few things as well like VCR/DVD/PC also....

I would grab a cheap Cambride Audiio A5 for £120 but no headphone socket! Would make it a bit difficult to listen to stuff on headphones eh?;)

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    www.audiovisiononline.co.uk have ex-demo NAD c350's (pristine, straight from NAD) for £219 with 2 year warranty etc.

I have the c370 and it sounds superb - very musical and capable of driving anything cleanly to eardrum-splitting volumes. Pretty unbeatable for £315 (from the same store). I think you'd have to spend quite a bit more to improve on it (like 500+, at least). :)

MuFu.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a marantz pm66 ki signature amp which is a few year old now, but still is great value for the prices you can get them! If you look around, you should get one at £150 or so.

ad

4. HighlandeR

HighlandeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That c350 is 230 quid in richer sounds brand new anyhow=P

So there really overcharging if thats the ex-demo model should be at least £150-£170!

But that C350 looks good, just wondering if the C370 is worth it!

Cos im looking for a lifetime amp here, u know one of those amps u last for like 10-20 years:)

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well there you go! :D

I was only in the market for the c370 though, and £315 was a good price. They are pretty much new and like I said, come with the full warranty etc. Mine looked like it had never been out of the box; the packets for the manual & remote had never been opened and the amp really didn't have a single mark on it.

I did demo the c350 in richer sounds and it has similar qualities to it's more powerful stablemate. £230 sounds good, although by all means check out the second-hand market for something that's fallen from the high end (like an Arcam Axx). I'd stretch and get the c370 though... one hell of a lot of amp for £300 and already a classic, IMO. :cool:

MuFu.

P.S. They are pretty ugly though. ;)

6. HighlandeR

HighlandeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for the info, id love to stretch for the c370 also:devil:

But I have to consider the fact im proberly gonna plug in headphones (Technics/Wireless) so im not exactly gonna benifit from it fully!

But I still may try and going for it!