Need advice on a Cheap, but amazing DVD player.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Xirix, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to spend.. up to £200, but cheaper is always better :), All I'm looking for is a DVD Player which has Progressive Scan with Component connections, as well as being Multi-Region. I want to be WOWed.. especially since I've been watching my DVD's so far with what I can tell.. is a Composite Scart >.<. The "DVD's under 150 quid" thread seemed to point towards that Toshiba model, but can anyone else clarify if this DVD player is to drool over? Or if there is a better one for a little bit extra.

Many thanks :)

2. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Been very impressed with the Denon 1920. Bought it for £199 from Peter Tyson (excellent service). Picture quality is superb over HDMI, might be worth considering...

3. Starfleet

Starfleet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apparently either the Samsung 950 or the Pioneer Multi region with HDMI from Richer Sounds appears excellent and at £120 seems to be a bargain

4. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Denon 1920 looks pretty swish to me, if there's no more suggestions on a better player I'll probably go for that.

However, will the Denon 1920 use progressive scan with Component? Or just HDMI?

And is there a place I can get.. a somewhat cheap HDMI lead?.. High quality of course, but I saw a HDMI lead for about 70 quid.. surely that can't be right?

5. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic S97 is a fantastic player if you can find any around...
    I picked up one the other week for £150

I know the S97 and the 1920 use the same DCDi brand de-interlacer, Denon the Faroudja 2301, Panasonic Faroudja 2310, though im not sure which is better.
    I hear people say the S97 has more macroblocking, but have heard people say the same of the 1920. The good thing about the S97 is that Panasonic are still issuing firmware updates to try and improve the image quality (macroblocking), which is nice!

Personally I think the S97 is a superb player, but the audio performance of the 1920 is leagues ahead (so i'm told).

6. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yay another DVD player to look at. ^^, but can anyone answer my progressive scan and HDMI price question?

7. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The component output can be set to progressive or interlaced on the 1920.
    I picked one up yesterday - big improvement on my old sony 725.

For a cheapish hdmi lead try Maplins. I got a 5m one for £20 yesterday.