Need advice on a 43" TV for PC and gaming

Dodgexander

As long as you stick to SDR there's nothing wrong with buying a smaller/cheaper TV nowadays. The LG you picked out is a decent choice if you are shopping for a TV that uses an IPS type panel.

If you're using this up-close for desk use, viewing angles can be more important than you think, so for this reason I'd consider trying to snap up a deal on a 43" Sony instead, perhaps as an openbox, such as the X800H which is a 2020 model, so unlike 2021 stock shouldn't be priced as expensive right now. The new Sony that replaces it (X80J) is overpriced.

ercussio

Thanks for the info. How can I tell if the TV is IPS LCD or VA LCD? I can't find that info on some of the pages I'm looking through...

Johnpilky

Novice Member
You have to read reviews of the TV to find out. General rule is at 43" LGs and Sonys run IPS, whilst others like Samsung, TCL, Hisense and Vizio are VA.
Hi,am looking for a 43" tv for my parents. they are willing to pay £450 max.are there a couple that you could recommend,many thanks

Dodgexander

Hi,am looking for a 43" tv for my parents. they are willing to pay £450 max.are there a couple that you could recommend,many thanks
My guide is here: **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

There's some things you have to go through before picking out a TV, namely choosing which panel type is prefered. Beware the guide is written for 2021-22 models. No 2022-23 models are recommended yet as they are currently overpriced.

ercussio

My guide is here: New My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

There's some things you have to go through before picking out a TV, namely choosing which panel type is prefered. Beware the guide is written for 2021-22 models. No 2022-23 models are recommended yet as they are currently overpriced.
Thanks for the link. I read your entire guide. I understand some new things but I'm a bit overwhelmed. Could you help me understand for my situation?

Viewing distance: 6'
Video source: HDMI from PC -> 5.1 UHD Receiver -> ~10 year old tv to be replaced
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V385 5.1-Channel 4K Ultra HD
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GTX1070
Content viewed: Direct PC for work/web, gaming, streaming video, and watching Blu-Rays
Things I'd never use: Broadcast television, modern consoles, "Smart TV" features, onboard sound
Update: I think I'd like to upgrade to ~50".

Current old tv: 42'' CLASS CINEMA 3D 1080P 60HZ LED with a dead spider in the screen

With the details and a budget of under $500, what would you buy?
I've got an eye on this one:

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Thanks for the link. I read your entire guide. I understand some new things but I'm a bit overwhelmed. Could you help me understand for my situation?

Viewing distance: 6'
Video source: HDMI from PC -> 5.1 UHD Receiver -> ~10 year old tv to be replaced
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V385 5.1-Channel 4K Ultra HD
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GTX1070
Content viewed: Direct PC for work/web, gaming, streaming video, and watching Blu-Rays
Things I'd never use: Broadcast television, modern consoles, "Smart TV" features, onboard sound
Update: I think I'd like to upgrade to ~50".

Current old tv: 42'' CLASS CINEMA 3D 1080P 60HZ LED with a dead spider in the screen

With the details and a budget of under $500, what would you buy?
Thanks for the help!
At the moment TVs are overpriced unless you're looking at picking up a 2020 model. Problem with the 2020 models is they are all but sold out in most places. Probably the Hisense U6G will be the best value TV out of newly released models but it should be closer to 400 than 500.

Determining the panel type of the TV is pretty important, for example if you want the TV to have wider viewing angles, then that changes recommendations completely. If you don't have to buy right now, wait for some deals come black friday to save some cash.

Also consider that $500 is really not going to buy you something future proof, TVs at this price cannot display HDR properly despite accepting the signal, so be prepared to use the TV strictly for SDR only. That's not a problem when using a PC, but you do miss out on better colour and contrast of HDR by not saving up more and going for a TV like the Hisense U8G instead of the U6G. You also miss out on future proofing connectivity for the future, with no HDMI 2.1.

ercussio

At the moment TVs are overpriced unless you're looking at picking up a 2020 model. Problem with the 2020 models is they are all but sold out in most places. Probably the Hisense U6G will be the best value TV out of newly released models but it should be closer to 400 than 500.

Determining the panel type of the TV is pretty important, for example if you want the TV to have wider viewing angles, then that changes recommendations completely. If you don't have to buy right now, wait for some deals come black friday to save some cash.

Also consider that $500 is really not going to buy you something future proof, TVs at this price cannot display HDR properly despite accepting the signal, so be prepared to use the TV strictly for SDR only. That's not a problem when using a PC, but you do miss out on better colour and contrast of HDR by not saving up more and going for a TV like the Hisense U8G instead of the U6G. You also miss out on future proofing connectivity for the future, with no HDMI 2.1.
So the Hisense is listed at $20 more than the comparable Samsung, and they seem identical in specs, so is there any advantage in price?

I'm not primarily striving for value--it's Bday present for myself and I'm also sick of the spider stuck in my current screen. So I'm just looking for the best screen currently, in the budget I'm looking at.

The U8G that you recommended is double the price of the U6G, and only comes in 55+ inches--this upper echelon of TVs are just too big and expensive for me.

It sounds like what you're saying is even though the TV is UHD and the signal from the receiver is UHD, it either won't display HDR properly, or, it won't display HDR at all? Are you saying that the quality of HDR is worse for lower-priced TVs, or is it just dysfunctional? That's disconcerting but for me, not enough to double my budget.

I remember from your guide you explained that buying the best TVs will cost 90% more but only give you 10% more futureproofing, so on that advice alone I'm not looking to go huge on my budget.

Dodgexander

It sounds like what you're saying is even though the TV is UHD and the signal from the receiver is UHD, it either won't display HDR properly, or, it won't display HDR at all? Are you saying that the quality of HDR is worse for lower-priced TVs, or is it just dysfunctional? That's disconcerting but for me, not enough to double my budget.
All TVs accept a HDR signal no matter how good they are at displaying it. Sadly its not something that scales well, so cheaper TVs will have a messy picture when its used. The usual complaint is the picture being too dark, and sometimes washed out.

For PC use this isn't really a problem, you can enable or disable HDR easily. For streaming apps built in to the TV its trickier, since you end up in a situation where you get HDR whether you like it or not.

With the future proofing its really hard to say any TV is going to be future-proof, there's always something new round the corner. A TV within your budget now will always work fine with a 4k 60hz signal...and your graphics card will limit you to 4k 60hz anyway...but in the future if you were to upgrade to a 3 series (or later) graphics card that has HDMI 2.1 you may have wished you went for a TV like the U7G instead of the U6G.

For SDR use it certainly makes sense to buy cheap, almost exclusively what you pay into when you spend more money is with HDR picture quality.

As for Samsung vs Hisense, Hisense typically are offering a lot more TV for your money. The U6G looks on paper to be the same as Samsung's AU series, but in reality its a quite a bit better. Hisense have models beneath the U6G which are more comparable to the Samsung AU series.

You can compare AU series to U6G here:

EDIT* A6G would be the comparable model to the Samsung AU. U6G starts at 50". Rtings have the A6G reviewed too if you want to compare to the Samsung.

ercussio

Awesome--you've cleared up any uncertainty I've had. For the system I'm on and my budget, what you're recommending makes a lot of sense.
That comparison of the Samsung vs. Hisense is invaluable. I'm so glad I read it! The Hisense is described as significantly better, especially in a lot of areas that are important for me.
Thanks a ton for the help!

ercussio

I went with the 50' Hisense U6G.
Right out of the box, it's excellent! Everything I was looking for. Great picture, great motion, much bigger, and no spider! Good recommendation.
I haven't tweeked any settings--is there anything I should change?

Attachments

• 236193714_10103126941476210_1856307315033708776_n.jpg
    236193714_10103126941476210_1856307315033708776_n.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 109
I went with the 50' Hisense U6G.
Right out of the box, it's excellent! Everything I was looking for. Great picture, great motion, much bigger, and no spider! Good recommendation.
I haven't tweeked any settings--is there anything I should change?
I've used a Hisense TV as a monitor for years and it's been great. Looking to upgrade at the moment to get those extra frames @ 4K.
Glad you're liking it!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom