Need advice, my head is hurting! :(

jerryjal

This is a bit of a long story but will try to condense it the best I can.

I decided to pack in Taxi driving last year after 14 years of putting up with drunk idiots, anyway I still had a fair chunk of outstanding finance on my Cab so I decided to start renting it out to cover the finance payments, this however also proved to be a pain as I couldn't get a reliable driver and with starting my new job I didn't have the time or patience to sort it out.

While speaking to a friend we came up with another solution, he had a Cab but it only had one more year left on it before he would have to change to a newer one and he was going to struggle to get finance so we agreed that he would take over the finance on my one until the end of the agreement and then after giving me a "drink" the Cab would then be his, I have known him for years so this agreement worked for me (less hassle) and for him (new Cab).

Now for the problem:

On Monday the Turbo went on the Cab and unfortunately he did not know what to do so just jumped out of the Cab and left it, the fire brigade turned up because of the smoke but there was no fire, it has now been looked at but won't be covered under the insurance as it is classed as mechanical damage and it is also no longer under warranty. :(

It will need a new engine, turbo and a whole host of items to get it back on the road, the bill will be around £8,000. :eek:

Now to be fair to my friend he has stated right from the beginning that he will carry on making the finance payments but he does not have (nor do I) the money to pay for the repairs so we are kind of stuck.

The latest thing that he wants to do is just break the vehicle for parts so he can get some money back, he still has to pay me for another two and a half years so as you can understand he is gutted and wants to get as much money back as possible.

What will the finance company say?

The finance is still in my name so ultimately it is me that has most to lose.

I can't see the finance company allowing us to break the vehicle for spares but then again how would they know?

To be honest guys I don't know what to do for the best. :facepalm:

un1eash

Distinguished Member
What car is it? 8k seems a hell of alot to get a car back on the road from a blown turbo.

jerryjal

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
£8k seems a silly price for an engine swap...item number 300669313936 on Ebay might even be the engine you need and it's only £1,350.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
I was thinking the same thing, a recon engine would only set you back 2-3k and swapping it out isnt a massive job as it can be done in a day.

jerryjal

Decadence said:
£8k seems a silly price for an engine swap...item number 300669313936 on Ebay might even be the engine you need and it's only £1,350.

That one has unfortunately been sold but yes I do think that 8k sounds too much, I am currently talking to another garage and they seem to think that I would be able to get it back on the road for more like 5k.
It's not just a replacement engine that's needed as its also a turbo and any other things like the cam belt that can not be retrieved from my engine.

jerryjal

FZR400RRSP said:
Can you not buy an exchange turbo, or get your existing one refurb'd?
Loads of places do that.

That is something I am looking at at the moment, I think it has had too much damage to repair.

I may have found a replacement engine with 12 months unlimited mileage plus a used turbo for £2,300 inc delivery, that of course comes without the other things like alternator, cambelt and so on but I may be able to rescue some of those things from my one.

I think I have now got the cost inc labour and other parts down to around £5k, that's better but of course I'd rather it was less.

Has anybody ever heard/had any dealings with these people? http://www.retailmotorsinc.com/

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
jerryjal said:
That is something I am looking at at the moment, I think it has had too much damage to repair.

I may have found a replacement engine with 12 months unlimited mileage plus a used turbo for £2,300 inc delivery, that of course comes without the other things like alternator, cambelt and so on but I may be able to rescue some of those things from my one.

I think I have now got the cost inc labour and other parts down to around £5k, that's better but of course I'd rather it was less.

Has anybody ever heard/had any dealings with these people? http://www.retailmotorsinc.com/

Thats still over £5k for an engine swap...still a bit pricey. Also, get a new cambelt, dont swap the old one, the are just a few quid.

jerryjal

Decadence said:
Thats still over £5k for an engine swap...still a bit pricey. Also, get a new cambelt, dont swap the old one, the are just a few quid.

That £5k is worst case scenario and allows for most of the items to be replaced as well and includes up to £1,200 for labour.
Your right about the cambelt, it was a poor example of what I was trying to say.
I'm guessing you have not heard of the company I mentioned, I can't seem to find out anything about them.

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
Just for anyone wondering, a replacement engine is just that, engine only, all the ancillaries are extra and make the bill shoot up.

Any rear ended examples going?

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
DVD-Man said:
Just for anyone wondering, a replacement engine is just that, engine only, all the ancillaries are extra and make the bill shoot up.

Most people swap their bits over from the original engine if it is useable.

jerryjal

DVD-Man said:

It would be an ideal solution if I could find a rear ended example, no luck as of yet though. :(

IronGiant

I read that as rear engined... :blush:

jerryjal

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom