Question Need Advice, looking to upgrade my Marantz M-CR511

dollag

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a Marantz M-CR511 powering my Kef LS50's as a secondary system. I would like to drive them with a better amplifier, but do not want to lose the functions of the marantz.

What I like about the system is its ease of use. An example of this is that the unit sits in standby but will automatically turn on if i decide to use my phone or ipad via airplay, or playing music simultaneously via itunes from my PC.

I have a chord mojo and was considering buying the poly and using this as an access point, being fed into a amplifier. This will solve my needs for airplay and DLNA; however, will still need to manually power up the amplifier etc.

I think i need an all in one solution but struggling to find one that will power the LS50's

any thoughts?

I'm only throwing it out there, I have not heard one, but the Onkyo tx-8150 seems to have a lot of the marantz functions, but a more highly specced amp section, generally good reviews etc

You could just buy a power amp (assuming the marantz has pre-outs).

No pre-outs on that one

You could just buy a power amp (assuming the marantz has pre-outs).

Yep no pre outs only a sub pre out. Sorry I should of stated that as would of been a no brainer.

I'm only throwing it out there, I have not heard one, but the Onkyo tx-8150 seems to have a lot of the marantz functions, but a more highly specced amp section, generally good reviews etc

Thanks I'll have a look. If I'm being totally honest, I've never been a massive fan of onkyo's sound. I would defo need a demo before pulling the trigger.

Turning an amplifier on is not the end of the world but would you agree that the chord poly will be ok for streaming duties? I use my mojo all the time but wouldn't have an issue leaving it plugged in.

Hi,

I currently have a Marantz M-CR511 powering my Kef LS50's as a secondary system. I would like to drive them with a better amplifier, but do not want to lose the functions of the marantz.

What I like about the system is its ease of use. An example of this is that the unit sits in standby but will automatically turn on if i decide to use my phone or ipad via airplay, or playing music simultaneously via itunes from my PC.

I have a chord mojo and was considering buying the poly and using this as an access point, being fed into a amplifier. This will solve my needs for airplay and DLNA; however, will still need to manually power up the amplifier etc.

I think i need an all in one solution but struggling to find one that will power the LS50's

any thoughts?

What are the considerations like budget and are you ideally looking for a one box solution seeing it's for a bedroom. I am presuming this is the case as often people don't like to have lots of hi fi seperates in the bedroom. What is is fitting into too.

Clearly the speakers you have are decent and you can get a lot more out of ls50's with decent amplification, but to do so you need to at least spend the same in the speakers as the amp. I have chatted to lots of people on forums who own LS50's and have thousands in amplification, and they are one type of speaker you can do that, unlike some which reach a limit quickly. But of course law of diminishing returns comes in.

But I suspect you know this more than most, owning multiple pairs. But if you aren't looking to spend at least near the same as your Marantz amp in the main set up, Id maybe just keep with what you have as a bit of a 2nd system compromise, as spending in the kind of ÂŁ300-ÂŁ700 bracket isn't going to get you big changes in sound quality than your ÂŁ300 ish amp.

If you spend around a grand you could get one of the naim streaming amps that are being sold cheap at end of range. Something like a cyrus streamline used would work with the LS50's. You can use them in standby to turn on using the app, but I don't think they are that flexible.

But if you give me an idea of budget and other considerations I'll look into it for you, to suggest a short list.

What are the considerations like budget and are you ideally looking for a one box solution seeing it's for a bedroom. I am presuming this is the case as often people don't like to have lots of hi fi seperates in the bedroom. What is is fitting into too.

Clearly the speakers you have are decent and you can get a lot more out of ls50's with decent amplification, but to do so you need to at least spend the same in the speakers as the amp. I have chatted to lots of people on forums who own LS50's and have thousands in amplification, and they are one type of speaker you can do that, unlike some which reach a limit quickly. But of course law of diminishing returns comes in.

But I suspect you know this more than most, owning multiple pairs. But if you aren't looking to spend at least near the same as your Marantz amp in the main set up, Id maybe just keep with what you have as a bit of a 2nd system compromise, as spending in the kind of ÂŁ300-ÂŁ700 bracket isn't going to get you big changes in sound quality than your ÂŁ300 ish amp.

If you spend around a grand you could get one of the naim streaming amps that are being sold cheap at end of range. Something like a cyrus streamline used would work with the LS50's. You can use them in standby to turn on using the app, but I don't think they are that flexible.

But if you give me an idea of budget and other considerations I'll look into it for you, to suggest a short list.

To be honest, I haven't really decided on a budget. I was more concerned about making it work for my needs and trying to use some components I already have (like my mojo). The poly is ÂŁ500 and a decent amplifier second hand is also approx ÂŁ500 so I'm already committed to approx ÂŁ1000.

Again I am not necessarily looking for an all on one solution but I of course would be more convenient.

I got my ls50's for a price I couldn't turn down, it was never my intention to use my cr511 with them. I just want to get the best out of them without losing any of the benefits of the cr511 that's the goal here.

You could consider a Yamaha WXA-50.

As a bare minimum you could get it working well with a digital streamer plus your mojo and a power amp. Mojo has a good volume control that could be used as a preamp and multiple inputs. It's not very remote control friendly, but leave stuff switched on or control the volume through the streamer and you're about done.

As a bare minimum you could get it working well with a digital streamer plus your mojo and a power amp. Mojo has a good volume control that could be used as a preamp and multiple inputs. It's not very remote control friendly, but leave stuff switched on or control the volume through the streamer and you're about done.

That is an option. The only issue is that its turning into a full on separates which isn't ideal in the bedroom. You have given me things to think about. Appreciated

Yeah, so if you're anti "separates" you're in the market for the all in ones then really, e.g. the NAD D7050, which is excellent by the way, and some of the other usual suspects; Cyrus, Naim, Cambridge Audio, etc; but you don't get to pick and choose which bits you can take advantage of from your existing gear that way (other than the speakers..)..

To be honest, I haven't really decided on a budget. I was more concerned about making it work for my needs and trying to use some components I already have (like my mojo). The poly is ÂŁ500 and a decent amplifier second hand is also approx ÂŁ500 so I'm already committed to approx ÂŁ1000.

Again I am not necessarily looking for an all on one solution but I of course would be more convenient.

I got my ls50's for a price I couldn't turn down, it was never my intention to use my cr511 with them. I just want to get the best out of them without losing any of the benefits of the cr511 that's the goal here.
Just to give another option.

You say you are committed to 1000. Why not sell the speakers and buy the wireless version. It's a little bit more expensive but a respectable one box kit.

Before anyone jumps on me :) I'm not saying the wireless are better than the wired, but Kef seem to have the amp matching correct so it's a safe choice

I agree i
Just to give another option.

You say you are committed to 1000. Why not sell the speakers and buy the wireless version. It's a little bit more expensive but a respectable one box kit.

Before anyone jumps on me :) I'm not saying the wireless are better than the wired, but Kef seem to have the amp matching correct so it's a safe choice

I was at the Bristol show and the KEF guys explained in some detail how the amplification works within the LS50's, was very interesting. It crossed my mind but they dont support airplay. I use airplay a lot.

I was considering

Airport Express ---> Chord MoJO ---> Roksan k3 Power amp or MF m3si ---> LS50's

This will solve most of my issues for the time being i believe.

That system looks good, just to play devils advocate, I'd prefer the Kefs with a simple airplay device plugged into the digital input over your selection if the sound quality was equal, just simpler and tidier

That system looks good, just to play devils advocate, I'd prefer the Kefs with a simple airplay device plugged into the digital input over your selection if the sound quality was equal, just simpler and tidier

Whilst i agree with you, selling my perfectly working LS50's seems to somehow bother me for some reason, plus with this set up, the only thing i need to purchase is an amp as i have everything else laying about.

Whilst i agree with you, selling my perfectly working LS50's seems to somehow bother me for some reason, plus with this set up, the only thing i need to purchase is an amp as i have everything else laying about.
And you know what, that makes perfect sense. If you amp those speakers well it's said they are pretty much the top of their class. To much chopping and changing costs time and effort, at the end of the day it's hard to beat an integrated amp for the convenience of adding extra sources etc.

Enjoy your upgrades, keep us informed how you get on

I sold my marantz melody streamer and am a proud owner of a Creek Evolution 50a. I am currently using it with an apple AE and my chord mojo with an audioquest 3.5 to RCA. I auditioned the Creek and Rega Brio. TBH I could of gone either way as both were impressive but Creek felt better put together and sounded, I guess a bit more composed to my ears.

I am very happy with the results. seems to have a lot more authority than the Marantz, which i guess is to be expected. The LS50's seem to be a lot happier, especially at higher volumes.

I did a bit of a/b testing with the Marantz prior to wiring up the Creek between native airplay built in vs my mojo and the AE. not too sure why but the native airplay seemed to sound cleaner. I was using the line out setting of the mojo which seemed too high and could hear distortion. I decided to manually control the volume on the mojo which did improve the sound a fair amount.

I was concerned using the line out setting into the Creek but seems to work fine and is a lot better than the Marantz was. not too sure why this was but thought i'd share my findings.

For now I will only use the creek via airplay, however as planning to move soon, It will hopefully be the heart of a dedicated Stereo System which will better placed as compromises are made in the bedroom. Already eyeing a few streamers to accommodate it;)

Here are a few picks of the set up.

I have a spare BK Gemini sitting there doing nothing so might incorporate it but tbh i don't feel the need to. If i decide to, how would you wire it into the system?

IMG_8725.JPG

IMG_8724.JPG
IMG_8728.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom