Need advice [JVC/Sky/Sony setup]

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by rocketdave, Nov 2, 2005.

1. rocketdave

rocketdave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

First post on these forums, wasn't entirely sure where to put this so apologies it it's in the wrong place.

I have a JVC 28" AV-28T5SK TV with three scart sockets, two of which support S-Video. So I effectivly have Ext1 (non S-Video scart), Ext & Ext3 (S-Video scarts) and Ext4 which are the R & L phono connections.

Secondly, I have a standard Sky decode box, with two scart sockets and R&L phono connections.

Third, I have a Sony DAZ-DX100 Home Theatre system, the DVD player has a single scart socket, with no R&L phono connections.

My problem is, I need to be able route all of the audio via the home theatre system, meaning I'll be able to utilise the surround sound speaker setup regardless of whether I'm watching Sky or a DVD.

Unfortunately, my area of expertise is computing, and not AV.

Can anyone help me out?

I'm assuming that in addition to having everything connected up properly, I'll also have to configure the output from the TV via the setup?

Thanks,

Dave

2. robbierroy

robbierroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Your best set up would be:
    for audio - sky box to Sony via Phono L R (your Sony MUST have phono L R). The audio from DVD disks will be handled by the DVD unit without any other connections
    For video -
    1. DVD to TV via component leads (and set you DVD output to Progressive).
    2. For Sky - Scart from Sky box to TV use the Ext that is RGB enabled and remember to enable enable RGB on the Sky Services > Picture settings.
    Robbierroy

3. rocketdave

rocketdave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robbie, thanks for this so far, could you just elaborate on 'component leads' for me?

Thanks,

Dave

4. robbierroy

robbierroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dave - the component leads carry the video from you DVD player to your TV. In terms of picture quality, the best to worst connections are: component better than scart better than S video better than composite. Here is a quote from a catalogue:
    "RGB interconnect is designed for component video signals for the ultimate in picture quality. RGB is becoming more widely used, especially for flat-screen and plasma TVs and projectors. Available in four lengths: 1.5m, 3m, 5m and 10m."
    I have posted a pic below.

Extra info:
    I have my DVD player connected to plasma via component leads for the video and the sound is handled by the home cinema part of the DVD player (no leads other then the connection to the subwoofer). I have JVC TH-S66 home cinema system.
    I have my sky+ box connected to plasma by a good quality scart lead for video and for audio have sky+ connected to DVD unit by digital optical audio cable.
    My laptop is connected to plasma via a vga lead for video and to the DVD unit for audio via PC audio lead.
    Hope this helps.
    Rob

Attached Files:

5. rocketdave

rocketdave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Robbie.

The Sony DVD unfortunately has *no* L&R, although I do have a Scart-to-component cable if that will help?

Thanks,

Dave

6. robbierroy

robbierroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Are you sure that it is a Sony DAZ-DX100 Home Theatre system that you have? The reason that I ask is that I googled it and came up with nothing. I did find a SONY DAV-DZ100 though. Might this be it?
    If so, look at pages 19 and 24 of the manual to see the Phono and component connections.
    I am curious....
    RR

7. Mike Hartley

Mike Hartley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave

I've just bought the Hyunday Q321 LCD TV. Whilst there are a million connections on this set, there is only 1 scart socket:thumbsdow it has taken me literally hours to try and find a way to sort the problem. Here it is:

Run a scart cable from the DVD to the "VCR SCART" on the back of the digibox. Run a scart cable from the "TV SCART" (also on the back of the digibox) to the scart on the back of your TV set. The Sony remote will then switch between the DVD player and the TV (via digibox) and everything should work OK. Bloody simple, eh?!!!!!

Mike