Need advice in getting the most out of my system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Solaar, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Solaar

Solaar
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    • Receiver: Yamaha rx-v663
    • Speaker-system: Dali Zensor 7 (front), Vokal (center) and 1 (back) with a Yamaha YST-SW215 subwoofer.
    • PS3, Apple-tv as main sources, both connected with hdmi. I listen to music through airplay with a Spotify Premium account or with Wimp Hi-Fi.
    After having bought these components separately over the last few years and tried all I can think of when it comes to tweaking both placement and settings I have come to the conclusion that either I'm doing something completely wrong or there is something unsatisfactory with my set-up.

The main problem I am having is the bass which I feel doesn't deliver as it should. With the Zensor 7 as front-speaker and an added subwoofer one would think that there should be more than plenty to deliver that extra "oumpfh" but I haven't heard that yet :-/

What I want is for the sub to fill out the sound from my main speakers and give my music a more immersive feel. With my current settings I'm very disappointed. Output from the subwoofer at settings recommended to complement my main speakers is barely audible at low and moderate volumes, only ramping up when my receiver’s volume is cranked to high levels. At ordinary listening volumes, where one doesn’t have to shout to carry on a conversation, it just doesn’t contribute much to what my main speakers produce. Those rare times when I have the house to myself and want to blast my music is when I get the most out of it but I’m not getting much day-to-day value from it (i listen to music almost constantly and watch a lot of movies in the week-ends). When watching movies, the problem is much the same: there is not enough punch in the bass and the sub isn't anywhere near delivering real good vibrations.

I should probably also add that the settings in this receiver is a bit confusing, especially for someone like me who is not that good at understanding all the technical terms. This text is from the yamaha-faq that I can't find on the web anymore:
    Here is also something that I found relevant at one time but now just confuses me more (conversation from another forum):

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I have tried what feels like "everything" so maybe I just expected more than what was realistic and need to upgrade one of the components in my system? I'm leaning towards the latter and suspect the subwoofer or the receiver to be the main culprits, but I don't want to give up just yet. So please, is there anybody out there that can help me?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    So many possible sources for your frustration .... including set-up, system limitations, source limitations, etc.
    To deal with the first quote you've included in your post. What this is trying to explain is that some sources have a channel that is identified as the '.1' in a set of channels, e.g. 5.1 has 6 channels of which one is the low frequency element (LFE). Stereo only has 2 channels with the low frequencies shared between them. The receiver has to be told what to do with the low notes for each case.
    The amp is aiming to filter the low frequencies sent to the speakers. The idea appears to be that they have assumed that a user will not want too much bass and so set the default to 'avoid the front pair'. Unfortunately this doesn't (subject to the other settings) mean that those low frequencies get sent to the sub. Based on what you've posted I suggest you try setting the front pair to 'large' and the LFE/Bass to 'both'. I don't know if you can adjust the subs crossover point but if you can it'd be good to get that to roll in at about the frequency that the front pair start to roll off (bases on your Amazon link, about 40Hz).