1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice: Good LCD TVs for the next generation of consoles

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by urobolus, May 31, 2005.

1. urobolus

urobolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a 32'' LCD TV so that i will be able to play e.g. all the XBOX 360 games that support 720p and 1080i. I don't want anything else i just want the games to look as good as possible. Of course i want as many good specs as possible but that's the most important part for me.
    Any suggestions at the price range from 900 to 1300 GBP?
    Thanks in advance.

2. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    My Hitachi 32LD7200 displays the Xbox via the hi def component kit superbly. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory looks amazing. Haven't tried much else on it yet, will be getting Forza soon, but this is a very nice set.

3. bunkbed

bunkbed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Rob,

I got my 32LD7200 last week and connected my Xbox via a Madcatz 5.1 AV box using S Video cables. I bought a Microsoft High Definition AV Pack yesterday, using the component cables, and as far as i can tell there is little if any difference in the picture quality.

I don't have my Xbox chipped or modded in any way as i have read about in other threads that enable the HD capabilitys and wondered if you have to get the results that you are happy with with yours.

Could you let me know what settings you have your tv set at as i'm a bit of a noob at this :) so i can compare them to mine and hopefully improve the PQ on my set.

Cheers, phil.

4. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I think I'm right in saying that if the xbox isn't chipped or modded, using the component cables will only give you a standard def interlaced image, i.e. a bit better quality than your s video cable, about the same as RGB scart. To get the best picture (progressive scan and HD resolutions etc) you'll need to have your xbox soft modded or chipped. Careful if you use Xbox Live though, don't get yourself banned!

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Bunked, as you say that'll be because you're playing in 576i or 480i. You seriously should get the thing chipped and have the European neutering reversed for the best results (unless you're happy with what you're getting that is). It's great to hear that the 32LD7200 can resolve such good quality pictures from S-Video connections, though.

Either way, even using a cheap $6.99 cable from Play-Asia, my Xbox looks great on 480p. It might give you the edge on those games of Halo 2 when you're peering around with the sniper rifle! (Although that doesn't explain my shocking number of deaths on Xbox Live ;) )