Need advice - G1, Storm, Renoir, iPhone

Neilbert82

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to choose a new phone and most contracts seem to be 18 months so I want to make the right choice.

I like the iphone but I can't get on with it for texting etc as the keys are just too small.
I'd like a phone as similar to the iphone (touch screen, wi-fi, downloadable widgets etc). There's a few touch screen phones on the market - can anyone recommend any in particular?

G1 any good - worried they will bring a new one out in 6 months.
Storm - don't know much about this yet.
Renoir - Seems pretty good but seen mixed reviews.

Can anyone provide any first hand experience of these?
Thanks

Tried an Omnia in town on my lunch break and was very impressed, camera was awesome, browser is fast, txting was alot easier then i expected and it feels "real" when you hold it rather then just plastic like a lot of phones,

I had a similar quandry when I bought my iPhone, I like the G1, well I like the OS but I too was worried about a replacement before too long.
The Renoir isn't really the same type of phone its more a a phone than a web/multimedia device like the iPhone or G1, not really seen much of the Storm although it felt very cheap the only time I tried one in Vodafone.

Tried an Omnia in town on my lunch break and was very impressed, camera was awesome, browser is fast, txting was alot easier then i expected and it feels "real" when you hold it rather then just plastic like a lot of phones,
I haven't considered the Omnia as I've heard a number of horror stories with it - having been told the Tocco is a more reliable handset. Anyone out there have the Omnia who can shed some light?

Depending on how tech-savvy you are i'd consider the HTC Touch HD - its WinMo but the apps for it are belting
Thanks, do you have the HTC? I like the look of it, slightly worried about the fact it does so much - is it slow and sluggish as I was advised by an Orange sales rep yesterday.
In the past I had a smartphone and a Nokia N80 and both had great features but were problematic (slow, freezing etc) simply beacause they just did too much.

Would give HTC another look though.

I had a similar quandry when I bought my iPhone, I like the G1, well I like the OS but I too was worried about a replacement before too long.
The Renoir isn't really the same type of phone its more a a phone than a web/multimedia device like the iPhone or G1, not really seen much of the Storm although it felt very cheap the only time I tried one in Vodafone.
Cheers for the advice. I think the Renoir is let down by a small screen in comparison to iPhone, G1 and Storm.

Short List mag last week had a feature on what's new fo 09 and they had the G1 in there - misread at first thinking a new version was coming out but it actually says that Google are well into phase 2 of developments and as a result there will be lots of great new applications/widgets/hardware available for the G1.

Any1 with inside scoop on whether there'll be a G2 anytime this year?

Theres "spy" shots of the G2 on Electric Pig today but so far its a re-worked G1, with no keyboard a bit like the iPhone, I would expect proper second phase hardware Q3

Any other G1 users who can give some feedback - it seems a bit huge but I like the keyboard as touch screen phones seem to be awkward for texting.

After reading some of the other threads I think i've ruled out the Renoir and the iPhone.

That leaves the G1 which is coming out on top so far and the Storm which I haven't seen much info on.

But now i'm thinking about the HTC touch HD and the Xperia. How long have these handsets been on the market?

Sony X1, 1 word brilliant.

G1 is like a cheaper version of the expensive multimedia phones (N97, iphone, HTC touch), well it certainly feels like it and is priced accordingly.

HTC touch is also quite good, but the sony kicks ass in style/looks/features, everything.

Thanks for the advice - I haven't seen the X1 is any of the shops. Just checked it out online, not sure how I missed it on the high street.

Looks and sounds pretty amazing actually. Are there many applications you can download for this? Only concern is that it's too grown up - is it fun as well as a serious piece of kit?

We just got a new phone each - I got the Renoir, he got the G1.
I was green with envy... for a while. Now I have decided having a play with the G1 that I made the right choice. Yes the keyboard is good, but only I think if you have wee fingers like me! He can't use it unless he uses a pencil or similar.

The GPS seem to work the same. Although the G1 is more moddable, will you ever really do it? I think texting is easier on the Renoir too, and it all seems a little more intuitive.

I have the G1. I really like it. Some of the critiscism was that it has touch screen, roller ball and keyboard but to be honest I use all three so suits me! Its actually not as big as I thought - fits in my jeans pocket fine, and the battery lasts two days for me. The keyboard letters are big enough I have found it quite easy to use. I lovethe screen size. I've not had any problems with it at all.
The applications are good, everyone loves the shop savvy one and I like the chomp messaging which then means you can do touch screen typing for texts if you are on the move etc.
The internet is fast and reliable and you set up emails to come through as often as you want. I use google calendar for my work so its really good to have that on there too.

Its an older option but you might want to consider the Vario 3 (T-Mobiles brandname for it, HTC phone, I believe 02 also do it). I use the Vario 2 still which is a nice phone, keyboard is very good to use, touchscreen is the older variety so not quite so responsive but you have various ways of navigating without using it (arrow keys, scroll wheel etc). It does portrait or landscape, Wifi, Bluetooth etc. MicroSD slot. Cameras only 2mp on mine but Vario 3 is 3mp. Its not really for use as a cameraphone though, its more there for a bit of fun (picture quality is good unless room is dark then its a bit hit and miss). Its Windows Mobile based so lots and lots of stuff can be got for it. IR makes it handy to use as an all-in-one remote...heh.

I'm going to be in the same quandry as the OP myself in a weeks time. I get to upgrade at the end of January, but the only thing on the market (that T-Mobile do) that I'd consider taking would be the Vario 3. Not sure I want to tie in another 18 months for a phone that is more of a revision than a full blown upgrade. I like the idea of the Omnia's and Renoirs etc but I need the full keyboard as I surf a lot. I dont use my phone as a phone. Its a free portable computer to me...lol

Its a shame, I wish I'd taken the Ameo when they still did it. Nothing has replaced it with T-Mobile. They've gone downhill instead to the G1 :(

Ok I think i've decided against the G1, iPhone and Renoir. Still don't have much info on the Storm.

My choices now seem to be between the X1 and HTC Touch but I can't seem to find a store anywhere that has any units available for demo.

I saw that a new Nokia came out today to rival the iPhone - any news on that, any early owners with some views?

The Nokia 5800 apparently. The paper showed people who camped out over night at Regent Street to be the first to buy it today.

Thank you everyone who gave opinions and advice, I finally chose and bought the X1 yesterday.

For anyone looking who's unsure check out the demo video's on you tube and pocketnow - really helpful along with the expert advice from here.

Word of warning for UK customers, stay away from Phone4U - so dodgy! I had little faith in them already and they confirmed it yesterday by trying to palm me off with a handset that had already been open. They claim they open every box on arrival to check the stock but if you go to the network shops (voda, o2 etc) you'll always be given a sealed box as you should do.

The handset they tried to give me had a scratch on the back so it may well have been a return or repair. Their attitude is terrible too, filling everyone stereotype you may have about salesman/women.
Plus, once you've purchased don't expect them to help you any further - they'll always palm you off to the operator and you'll have a never ending battle between the two. Best advice is go straight to the network, at least you'll know you can take it back to the shop and they'll give you 14 days to change your mind.

Rant over, sorry!
Happy with the handset so far - it does so much! I may well be asking for help in the near future.

Thank you everyone who gave opinions and advice, I finally chose and bought the X1 yesterday.

For anyone looking who's unsure check out the demo video's on you tube and pocketnow - really helpful along with the expert advice from here.

Word of warning for UK customers, stay away from Phone4U - so dodgy! I had little faith in them already and they confirmed it yesterday by trying to palm me off with a handset that had already been open. They claim they open every box on arrival to check the stock but if you go to the network shops (voda, o2 etc) you'll always be given a sealed box as you should do.

The handset they tried to give me had a scratch on the back so it may well have been a return or repair. Their attitude is terrible too, filling everyone stereotype you may have about salesman/women.
Plus, once you've purchased don't expect them to help you any further - they'll always palm you off to the operator and you'll have a never ending battle between the two. Best advice is go straight to the network, at least you'll know you can take it back to the shop and they'll give you 14 days to change your mind.

Rant over, sorry!
Happy with the handset so far - it does so much! I may well be asking for help in the near future.

Most non-network shops will try that 'we open all the boxes in the store' thing. One time when I was buying a PAYG for my dad to use, the store guy (not phones4u, was an independent) said its legal requirement. Asked the woman stood next to me if she heard that, she said yes, I turned back to the store guy and said, next choice, do you give me a 20% discount on the price we've already agreed, or do I report you to trading standards? Got the 20% discount...heh

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom