Need advice from the audio community

Joncar2584

Novice Member
Hello everyone. Im new here so bare with me.

I need help or recommendations in regards to two channel audio. Im currently running a home theater set up and would like to run my front channel (main speakers) in a more dedicated hifi set up when not watching movies. Mostly streaming music or CD's for two channel.

GEAR:
Im using the Denon AVR-S730H 7.2 receiver to power the Pioneer SP -FS52 (mains) and SP-BS22 (surround and rear) with two sealed 10" Dayton Audio RSS265HO-44 and a Dayton Audio ultimax 12" in a very large ported box (movies only). I love what Andrew Jones has done with these speakers on a budget. The stereo imaging and sound stage that i can get with just my Denon blew my mind. So im currious if a better set up will be even better.

QUESTION:
My Denon does have a dedicated 2 channel listening mode and i know a dedicated seperate hifi set up would be a significant improvement but im on a budget just like everyone else. I often wonder how much improvement i could get from just a seperate more hifi external two channel amp. The Denon does not have not have pre-outs so im very limited in selection for just an external amp. So here comes question one.

Is it possible to use the OSD AMP200? At 299.99, It has speaker level inputs and is rated fairly well. But is this going to give me a more "hifi" sound? Is it better than the Denon? Or is it going to sound like a blending of the two amps since all of the processing will be running through the Denon and out the speaker lines to the OSD? I like this idea since i wouldnt have to change any of my source connections when switching from theater mode to stereo mode and the OSD would be improving the sound during both modes (if in fact it does improve the sound)

OR

Run a completly seperate integrated amp. My options on a budget that ive found so far are the S.M.S.L. DA-9 or the Loxjie A30.

Does anyone here have a recommendation or advice that could help me make a decision.

gibbsy

You cannot add an external amp of any description to the Denon, it does not have the required pre-outs. For that you would need to have the Denon X3700 as the lowest tier of model to have pre-outs. If you wish to use an integrated stereo amp for music and still use the same pair of front speakers then you would be best advised to use a speaker switch such as the excellent Beresford 7220.

I use a stereo amp that has HT by-pass alongside my Denon AVR. The improvement in stereo for music is very noticeable but for film and TV there is little, if any, difference as the pre-amp stage of the Denon is still the driving factor in how it sounds. That's just as it should be as an external power amp, or stereo amp with HT by-pass will just be amplifying the Denon's audio without any colouration. The HT by-pass amp will just be using it's power amp circuit when connected to the Denon and both are active during film or TV listening.

Beresford 7220

Joncar2584

Novice Member
You cannot add an external amp of any description to the Denon, it does not have the required pre-outs. For that you would need to have the Denon X3700 as the lowest tier of model to have pre-outs. If you wish to use an integrated stereo amp for music and still use the same pair of front speakers then you would be best advised to use a speaker switch such as the excellent Beresford 7220.

I use a stereo amp that has HT by-pass alongside my Denon AVR. The improvement in stereo for music is very noticeable but for film and TV there is little, if any, difference as the pre-amp stage of the Denon is still the driving factor in how it sounds. That's just as it should be as an external power amp, or stereo amp with HT by-pass will just be amplifying the Denon's audio without any colouration. The HT by-pass amp will just be using it's power amp circuit when connected to the Denon and both are active during film or TV listening.

Beresford 7220
Thanks for the feedback. But the amp i referred to in my original post, the OSD AMP200, has a two channel speaker level input along with analog RCA inputs. So am i wrong in understanding that i can take the front channel speaker out from the Denon and connect it to the speaker in on the OSD to use as an external amp?

Joncar2584

Novice Member
Heres the link to it on amazon and a photo of the input

Amazon product

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210814-010604_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210814-010604_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 17

gibbsy

No you cannot. The Denon's RCAs are input only, the exception being the subwoofer pre-outs. There is no way that the 730 can be connected up an external amp. Even with the OSD although it can be connected to a suitable AV amp you would still have the complication of balancing the volume output of both AV amp and stereo amp every time you wished to use it as it's line-in is going into the OSD's pre-amp and not direct into the power amp side as would be the case with a HT by-pass stereo amp.

It is though, impossible to connect the 730 to the OSD for what you require.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom