Need advice for first projector. Unusual situation

T

Tenaka

Hi Guys

I wonder could I get some advice.

I need a projector for a specific use. I need to project still images from PC onto a number of different painting and drawing media. For example paper, canvas etc.

So i am looking for a cost effective way of doing this. A slide projector or overhead projector will not work for this :(

Will I have to pay about a grand to do this?

Regards and thanks in advance

Ten

You can get an attachment with an LCD screen in it which you put on top of an overhead projector which would do the job - a place that does office surplus supplies might help of you could have a root around on eBay....

Sean G.

So the only thing that is unusual is the screen material - instead of being white projection fabric it will be paper, canvas, plastic etc etc.

I would say get yourself the brightest projector your budget can afford and beware trying to project on highly refelctive surfaces (glass, acrylic etc). If you are projecting artwork etc you will really need an XGA resolution projector and I would suggest a DLP for it's uniform brightness accross the width and height of the image and brighter colour reproduction.

BenQ do a 1700 lumen XGA res PJ for less than £1100 all in. You can spend less but you will lose either resolution or brightness, or you can spend the same and lose resolution to gain brightness!!! If you want drop me a mail with more details on what you're doing and i'll give you some ideas

Thanks Laim

I was considering that one. Or going to go for a second hand one, but changes are the second hand one would need a new bulb in any case.

So is the BenQ one the cheapest XGA projector available at the mo?

It's the cheapest XGA res with that brightness! You can get cheaper, darker XGA or can keep the brightness but get it cheaper by lowering the resolution. BenQ in general are the cheapest around and with a 3 yr warranty they're really cornering the market!! We put about ten similar ones into pubs in the run up to Euro 04 cos they're just so damn cheap

Tenaka,
A slide projector could work well for you as long as you don't need to edit the image live from the PC.

Slide Production Bureaus have the facility to create 35mm slides from your PC files for about £1.50 per shot. The other advantage of 35mm is that the image resolution isn't limited by the number of projector pixels.

A secondhand Kodak slide projector can be had for £100. The lamps cost less than £5. Optional lenses are available s/h to give longer/shorter projection distances from about £30 up.

If your work involves projecting for extended periods then a slide projector is the most cost effective answer. Museums still use 35mm slide for their day long exhibits.

edit: see here for Slide Buireau Services

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom