Need advice for building a hometheater with Dolby Atmos in relatively small room

yass123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 3.4 x 5.4 meters room, it is rectangular but the problem is that I cannot lay out my theater vertically in the room because at one end I have a balcony and the door is on the other end.

The only way is to lay my theater horizontally with a couch back to the wall and a 75-85 inch Samsung TV back to the other wall.

I am planning to have a 5.2.4 system as follows:

Front speakers: Polk Audio RTi-7s or Yamaha NS-777 or Jamo 809S
Center Polk audio Cs 4 or NS-c444 or Jamo S 81 CEN
Surrounds, Polk audio RTI A1 or jamo S801 or Yamaha NS-333
Subwoofer 2X of Yamaha SW300PN or Onkyo SKW 770
AVR Denon 3600x
In ceiling NS IC800

Will this will be good for this room? I know it is not optimal

What do you think of the speakers selection? I almost decided to get the Polks, but Yamahas are cheaper Do you think I should get Polks or Yamahas? I mainly want this system for Movies

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    41.1 KB · Views: 130
  • capture 2.jpg
    capture 2.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 116
Positions look ok But I’d lose the back row And just do 5.1.2

No experience of those speakers. Subwoofers - why have you chosen those?

If the room still looks like that, I’d be building a false wall with the LCR mounted in wall.

Positions look ok But I’d lose the back row And just do 5.1.2

No experience of those speakers. Subwoofers - why have you chosen those?

Thank you for the feedback, I have chosen thoise speakers because they are the ones available in my country and are within my budget. I would prefer a Klipsch system but no dealers in my country.

Specs for the subwoofer also look good and has many good reviews on Amazon, it can go as low as 20Hz, As for the other speakers, they look good in reviews on Amazon, but I am not sure how they will integrate together.

Where are you?

Generally people go to a dedicated subwoofer company rather than speaker/amp company.

If the room still looks like that, I’d be building a false wall with the LCR mounted in wall.

Yes, the flat is still not finished, I will make something like a wooden cabinet/shelves to include the left surround speaker and maybe something similar on the right too

Where are you?

Generally people go to a dedicated subwoofer company rather than speaker/amp company.
In Egypt, I have other option to get HTS-12 from Polk Audio local dealer here, but its more than the cost of the Yamaha SW 300PN by 60% so I might get one subwoofer Polk or two Yamahas, I heared 2 smaller subs will be better than one large SW.

Depends on placement. You ideally need to model it in something like REW or try the sub out in different places.

Depends on placement. You ideally need to model it in something like REW or try the sub out in different places.

Yes I will do that, but for the time being, I have to decide on the in-ceiling speakers because I will make holes in ceiling for them

In Egypt, I have other option to get HTS-12 from Polk Audio local dealer here, but its more than the cost of the Yamaha SW 300PN by 60% so I might get one subwoofer Polk or two Yamahas, I heared 2 smaller subs will be better than one large SW.

The specs of Yamaha are useless. The frequency response there is no mention of -3db/-6db, so take the 20hz as grain of salt. It won`t have any useable output such low. Polk HTS-12 is way better including build quality and warranty! I would gladly pay the extra cause you will be upgrading those first other wise.

I wonder can you get subwoofer from Israel shipped to Egypt? This is the next step and worth the extra cost if you are serious with the cinema system.

If you go with Polks, pick the CSi A6 center channel over A4 if it`s available there!

The specs of Yamaha are useless. The frequency response there is no mention of -3db/-6db, so take the 20hz as grain of salt. It won`t have any useable output such low. Polk HTS-12 is way better including build quality and warranty! I would gladly pay the extra cause you will be upgrading those first other wise.

I wonder can you get subwoofer from Israel shipped to Egypt? This is the next step and worth the extra cost if you are serious with the cinema system.

If you go with Polks, pick the CSi A6 center channel over A4 if it`s available there!

Thanks for the input, Polk HTS-12 is still an option for me

CSi A6 Can be made available for special shipment not their regular one, they don't have it in stock but I can get it will just take more time.

Thanks for the input, Polk HTS-12 is still an option for me

CSi A6 Can be made available for special shipment not their regular one, they don't have it in stock but I can get it will just take more time.

If the room is really about ~ 10x12 you could also consider RTI-A3 model as main speakers with speaker stands. For movies the subwoofer is doing the heavy lifting so you don´t "need" massive floorstanders, but it will be your call. For me i wold pick the A6 center channel without doubt cause that speaker is most active one so you want the best available and put extra effort how you place it!
Amazon product ASIN B000V2N310
Here is sister site AVSF Mark`s review, he won`t give praise unless product is good. Check it out:

What other subwoofers are available there? Did you check SVS?

If the room is really about ~ 10x12 you could also consider RTI-A3 model as main speakers with speaker stands. For movies the subwoofer is doing the heavy lifting so you don´t "need" massive floorstanders, but it will be your call. For me i wold pick the A6 center channel without doubt cause that speaker is most active one so you want the best available and put extra effort how you place it!
Amazon product ASIN B000V2N310
Here is sister site AVSF Mark`s review, he won`t give praise unless product is good. Check it out:

What other subwoofers are available there? Did you check SVS?

"If the room is really about ~ 10x12 you could also consider RTI-A3 model as main speakers with speaker stands. "

Well, I have decided to go for floor standing this time since I have about four 5.1 home theaters all with bookshelves, I wanted something more Cinema like this time, bigger screen, bigger cabinets and also, bookshelves need stands and I can't find stands that are really good looking. So, I decided to get floor standing this time.

As for the subwoofer, I will take your advice into consideration, the HTS 12 will be a good match for my system. I just wanted to try 2 subs against one big woofer this time since I always had one sub solution for the lows before.

As for the center channel, I have already asked the local dealer, they don't have it in stock but they said they will import it as a special order if I want to. I also thought about the S35 center from Polk two, it is from higher line but I thought the center should be my forcus, I can't take any compromises about it.

"If the room is really about ~ 10x12 you could also consider RTI-A3 model as main speakers with speaker stands. "

Well, I have decided to go for floor standing this time since I have about four 5.1 home theaters all with bookshelves, I wanted something more Cinema like this time, bigger screen, bigger cabinets and also, bookshelves need stands and I can't find stands that are really good looking. So, I decided to get floor standing this time.

As for the subwoofer, I will take your advice into consideration, the HTS 12 will be a good match for my system. I just wanted to try 2 subs against one big woofer this time since I always had one sub solution for the lows before.

As for the center channel, I have already asked the local dealer, they don't have it in stock but they said they will import it as a special order if I want to. I also thought about the S35 center from Polk two, it is from higher line but I thought the center should be my forcus, I can't take any compromises about it.
Sure, you pick then what you have dreamed. You won´t be driving them full range though. Prepare to give them some space as they won´t sound good close to walls. They are large as is A6 so i`m sure with good subwoofer you get the cinematic feeling you crave.

To my knowledge the CSi A6 is better than the Signature range models as that is often partnered with RTi range speakers! Also S30 is better than S35 if you would be looking Signature serie towers. You can find lot of information from AVSForum as Polk is more popular in US. RTi has brighter tone which many seems to love for cinema use, Signature (S) has smoother, but is also bit cheaper. RTi has nice looking wood veneer cabinets. CSi A6 is quite large, i hope you can wall mount tv and place the speaker in free air at good height.

As for the two subs i understand, but buying two cheap woofers isn´t really the way to go. I bet the Yamaha amps won`t last long and it`s made cheap, Polk has also better performance cause of larger driver and the port design is better. Yamaha isn´t really known from subwoofers. If you buy HTS12 you can still save up for second and add it later.

Sure, you pick then what you have dreamed. You won´t be driving them full range though. Prepare to give them some space as they won´t sound good close to walls. They are large as is A6 so i`m sure with good subwoofer you get the cinematic feeling you crave.

To my knowledge the CSi A6 is better than the Signature range models as that is often partnered with RTi range speakers! Also S30 is better than S35 if you would be looking Signature serie towers. You can find lot of information from AVSForum as Polk is more popular in US. RTi has brighter tone which many seems to love for cinema use, Signature (S) has smoother, but is also bit cheaper. RTi has nice looking wood veneer cabinets. CSi A6 is quite large, i hope you can wall mount tv and place the speaker in free air at good height.

As for the two subs i understand, but buying two cheap woofers isn´t really the way to go. I bet the Yamaha amps won`t last long and it`s made cheap, Polk has also better performance cause of larger driver and the port design is better. Yamaha isn´t really known from subwoofers. If you buy HTS12 you can still save up for second and add it later.
Thank you for the detailed response and advice, it definitely helped me make my decision, I will go for the Polk sub and the CSI 6 center channel. As my focus will be movies, so a brighter speaker line will be my aim so I will stick with the RTIs.

Any comments on the in-ceiling speakers? The Yamaha ones has good reviews on Amazon but I have another alternative which is Qacoustics Qi65CB The price is almost same as Yamahas IC-800

Thanks,

Why not fit Polk in ceiling?

If sofa is against the back wall then don’t try and do 5.1.4

Some have used Polk MC80 with the RTi range speakers. And if you want even better "match" then 80F/X-RT which are TIMBER-MATCHED WITH POLK’s RTi SPEAKERS. If you buy just one pair then maybe you can buy better quality ones.

Amazon product ASIN B002JTE0W4
Amazon product ASIN B004LQDWO0
As @Harkon321 said it`s better to stick with 5.1.2 if you can´t push the couch forward. Cause the 2nd pair would go behind the listener which you can`t do.

514-overhead-speaker-Placement.jpg

DolbyAtmos514celling.jpg

This is what should you be considering if you keep the couch against rear wall, 5.1.2 :

DolbyAtmos512celling.jpg

I intend to have the couch back to wall since the room width is only 3.4 meters, but I want a 5.1.4 so I will install the 4 in-ceiling and will move the couch a little forward to reach a sweet spot when I am watching dolby atmos content. This will be better than having only 2 in-ceiling.

I will check the Polk in-ceiling speakers and check for their availability in my country.

I did some research about the Atmos speaker placement and found it full of compromises as most rooms are not ideal but still can benefit from Atmos. My room is not ideal but it is not a dedicated theater room afterall, I will try to get the best placement I could but still it is far from being perfect.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom