need advice for best audio option for my situation. please help.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AdamWeiss, Jun 18, 2015.

1. AdamWeiss

AdamWeiss
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there, so I'm not savvy at all when it comes to a/v. But i'm 34, live in this nice loft and am still listening to my music through my laptop speakers haha. I know I deserve better than this haha.

So my primarily use is for music. I normally listen to music via my laptop(itunes, spotify, etc) or (more rarely) my record player. Although I do also plan to in the near(ish) future to get a projector

My loft is pretty big and open (1100sq ft) but although its a big open space theres a area thats almost like a den and thats like my "lounge" room. (this lounge room is also where the projector will go,..when I get it)

So question is do I get surround sound just for the lounge room, or the entire loft, ...or do i not do surround sound? do I just do a floor-standing speakers in the "lounge room"? Do I do bookshelf speakers and a sub? Do I need a receiver?

My buddy needed to set up his studio here for a couple months and even just his two krk studio monitors was enough sound to fill my loft and sound awesome.

so please help, send me in the right direction? what do i need to buy asap so by next week im no longer listening to my favorite albums off a laptop hahaha. thank you advance.

Also willing to spend $300-$500 (the lower the better tho).

thanks in advance

2. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    For your budget I'd be looking at stereo. Also perhaps second hand gear

Stereo integrated amplifier
    and pair of standmount speakers.

You won't get a good 5.1 system for $300-$500, as that has 5 or 7 speakers, a active subwoofer, a AVR, video & audio cables

3. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I was going to say that no-one can make the surround sound vs. stereo decision for you... then I saw your budget so decision made - stereo it is.

Pre-owned gear is a good suggestion but you need to know a little about the marketplace to ensure you don't end up with junk.

Many folk are now connecting active studio monitors (such as your friend's KRK speakers) to their laptops with excellent results and I'd suggest that approach for you if you want best audio quality for your limited budget. The disadvantage (for some) is that the set-up I suggest does not have the multiple inputs for future sources (such as CD player, turntable, media streamer etc) that a conventional integrated amplifier would have. However, if all music and movies will come from the laptop then that isn't an issue. When budget permits, a stereo digital pre-amplifier could be added to give inputs for future sources if desired. Or, if you decide to go with surround-sound at a later date, you could purchase an AV receiver that has the necessary connections (pre-amp outputs) to drive your active speakers so they can still be utilised in a multi-channel set-up.

Big listening space so maybe choose an active studio monitor with an 8" bass/mid drive unit to give sufficient volume and bass power. Names to look out for at this budget end include KRK, M-Audio, JBL, Mackie & Yamaha (there are many others). Best have a listen before committing to a purchase as they all sound different.

If the sound quality from your laptop's headphone outlet isn't great, then add a cheap basic USB DAC (Digital to Analogue converter) to improve quality. Remember also, overall sound quality will depend on the quality of your audio computer files (garbage in = garbage out).

I'm unsure where your record player fits in currently so cannot imagine how it would connect to a future sound system.