Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Need advice for a TV to support my Panasonic Q

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Weinberg, May 25, 2003.

1. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've sent off a seemingly faulty lan-kwei.com RGB for the Panasonic Q Gamecube console to someone to fix, but in the meantime have also been considering a new TV. BTW for those who aren't aware, you can get one of these consoles to output using an RGB cable. So basically I'm looking for tvs that support RGB for sure.
    I've looked on empire direct and found a Toshiba TV at:
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetailsnew.asp?modelcode=TOS-28Z23B
    [​IMG]
    It's cheap and has loads of connections. It states it has RGB for sure, although I thought RGB connected through scart, but another site showed a diagram of RGB connecting through 3 coloured sockets!? (or was that just a generalised diagram). Any idea on the above tv working with my Q with the RGB cable then?

Or any other recommendations? The above tv's really cheap from Empire, has all the stuff I need it seems and has a nice stand :D

This one's around £50 more and is at:
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetailsnew.asp?modelcode=TOS-28Z27B

The other one's cheaper and is at:
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetailsnew.asp?modelcode=TOS-28Z23B

Now the more expensive one strangely doesn't list half the features of the cheaper one, despite seeming the same! On the other hand it mentions features the cheaper one DOESN'T have.

You can easily see that the more expensive one doesn't list half the features of the cheaper one if you click the two. Maybe that's just an error.

To compare the two click on:
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/menu2.asp?subdept=ctv&specials=ctv

Then at the top menu in the centre click 'widescreen' and 'Toshiba' brand, and the first 2 results are what I'm talking about.
    Does the more expensive one have progressive scan? And is it much better than the other?

If one of those Toshibas accepts an 21 pin RGB cable through one of the scart sockets and supports it, that's all I need! And progressive scan would be good I suppose, or any other composite connections.

Last thing is although I seem to know what I'm talking about, I don't!

Thanks very much for any help!
    :clap:

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    no those dont support progressive.

this one does though

I dont know how much difference progressive makes on such a small screen, but I wont buy any games that dont support it now I have it on my projector.

all the tosh tvs will support RGB through the scart, as will, I would gamble every tv made in the last 10 years that has a scart.
    even my philips that I threw out 10 years ago had RGB and 60hz support.

3. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok thanks, RGB is all I need!!

Ignore progressive scan now! I don't want that anymore. If I can use my RGB cable on a 21 pin scart socket that's ALL I need!!

i was told to look at the toshiba site for the specifications of the first TV i mentioned in my post...
    I've looked on toshiba.co.uk and the TV in the very first post in this thread seems to be the "28Z23" model there, which is the "_28Z23B" on empire direct. Are these TVs the same then just to clarify?

Lastly, clicking on the specifications page of the "28Z23" on Toshiba brings up a page for another TV!! (look at the name of the page at the top) 28ZD26 in fact. Does this mean the specs are the same?

god this is complicated!

4. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry ignore that, I clicked above the tv on the specs button instead of below.

I don't want prog. scan, all i need is for that first TV, the Toshiba "28Z23B" (as stated on empire direct) and "28Z23B" (as stated on Toshiba-are these the same tvs?) to support RGB THROUGH A SCART SOCKET, not any other means. Thanks!!

5. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You certainly can - I came up with it ;). I re-wired a Lan-Kwei "Q" cable a few weeks ago for someone. When I opened it it was shocking how badly wired up it was - whoever made it certainly didn't follow my instructions too well :rolleyes:. People insist on saving a few pounds by ordering from the likes of Lan-Kwei but they'll only regret it in the long run. Who did you send your cable to for repair?

7. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard so much about lan-kwei! Delivery took AGES and support was AWFUL and the cable didn't work. I've sent my cable to 'saurian' who owns a import shop in london, and is notorious for being the king of cables.
    Do *you* know if the RGB cable from my Q will work with that TV I mentioned?

thanks! and good job for coming up with RGB for the Q!!!

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It will work with all the TV's mentioned above :). Saurian's a good guy and willsort your cable just fine.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    RGB is RGB almost all TV's (new) will support RGB. Stop getting you knickers in a twist about it.
    Buy the TV for picture quality!
    As i assume you are a console user mainly a device that will allow you to attach all of them to the TV would be a good idea look at the Quattro/Quintro from B tech. The Q is essentially a Game cube yes! so just connect it up using a moded cable. or get a TV that has a VGA input and use the digital out.