Need advice for 5.1 surround with 2 hdmi inputs

V1perX3

Standard Member
Hi, new here and need some advice

Looking to update my system to make better use of what i've got and eliminate the need for some cables and switches and hopefully get a better overall sound.

Currently i've got a PC which I use for gaming and media, PS3 again gaming and media (a lot of blu-ray and avi streaming) and a NAS starage device which contains a lot of audio and video that I stream to both PC and PS3 and an older JVC 5.1 surround DVD system that both the PC and PS3 are connected to via optical through a manual selector swith. Both devices are connected to a samsung 23" LCD panel via another manual selector switch.

I'm looking for a new 5.1 surround system to replace the JVC with 2 hdmi inputs for the PC and PS3 to connect through to give me 5.1 sound from both. I'd also like it to be dlna capable for the NAS and have it be able to play mkv (which the PS3 won't do :mad:) so that I don't have to have my noisey PC on to watch mkv playback.

I looked at the Samsung HT-C6500 which has everything I want but is too rich for me, i'd like something about the £250-£300 mark.

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
Do you need an all on one? Ie built in blu-ray? Something like LG sr906 had 3 HDMI eith 5.1 sound. Don't know about media playing but get cheap media player and plug into 3rd HDMI slot, I've seen sumvision cyclone recommended for about £20.

Last edited:

V1perX3

Standard Member
Thanks, I suppose I don't need an all in one really then, as I have the PS3 for blu-ray and most of my media streaming.

So would I be better off then with a 5.1 receiver and seperate media player, if so any recommendations as the media player you suggested doesn't seem to be able to connect to my home network or play mkv files.

Thanks

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
V1perX3 said:
Thanks, I suppose I don't need an all in one really then, as I have the PS3 for blu-ray and most of my media streaming.

So would I be better off then with a 5.1 receiver and seperate media player, if so any recommendations as the media player you suggested doesn't seem to be able to connect to my home network or play mkv files.

Thanks

Sorry don't now anything about media players. Try the streaming section. A dedicated 5.1 will generally give you better sound and connections than an all in one.

V1perX3

Standard Member
OK thanks a lot, looks like I should look at a 5.1 receiver and seperate media player then, i'll try the other sections

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom