Question Need advice for 5.1 speakers / Amp (or just need advice)

tarasis

Standard Member
Hi all,

Kind of new here and not (been a member since 2008 but only posted 3-4 times) but I come seeking advice for 5.1 speakers.

Background: I have till now been using the speakers that are in my LG 720p 50" Plasma screen. They are no quibble pants, but the missus has been unwilling to get 5.1 amp + speakers until recently. At Xmas she bought me the Logitech Z906 5.1 set for my computer, but we've had it hooked up to the TV since Xmas and she has suggested herself that we can finally get 5.1 (Yay!) and (later) a new TV (I'm winging for an LG OLED affair but we'll see)

I had been using an Arcam Alpha 8/8P with Kef Q15's to listen to music for the last 18-19 years but the channel selector on that has packed up (dodgy connection internally where the nearest breath on the knob causes the audio to disappear from both or one speaker).

So I'm looking for an AV amp and speakers that will do music and films/TV (some) justice. At the moment she has suggested a budget of €1000, but I'm working to up that to €1500-2000. Not the best and certainly rules out some options I'd love to look at (Arcam AV amps for instance)

Where I live in Germany I don't have a lot of options to actually audition speakers or Amps, so I'm largely having to go on reviews & comments. I'd love to have access to Sevenoaks, Richer Sounds or something of that ilk :) (I'm from the UK).

Source Inputs: Xbox 360, Sony Blu-Ray player, PS3 (got it free from a friend months after I bought the standalone player, plus standalone player is quieter), Raspberry PI, Apple TV and Arcam Alpha 8SE CD player.

Music Tastes: A mix, though primarily film scores, jazz, electronic synth (Jarre, Bjørn Lynne, Allistar Brimble, Chris Huelsbeck)

Thought Amps: In terms of amps I have been looking at the Pioneer VSX-930 or the Denon AVR-x2200w (the X1200 in only €50 cheaper on Amazon). Both have many inputs, support for 4K (we are looking to replace the TV later in the year) and Atmos which is very appealing. The Denon supposedly sounds good with both music and films. However I'm open to other suggestions.

Speakers: this I've been struggling with a lot. The idea of a speaker bundle vs buying individual speakers to make my own set. Plus the added issue of Floorstanders or bookshelf speakers for the front. I've been after upgrading to Floorstanders speakers for years, and this is my chance though as are units are currently set up that is awkward. Also I understand the recommendation for subs is to put them in the corner which wouldn't work in our living room, on the left side it opens into a dining area and on the right its a basically floor to ceiling Windows. (I can supply a diagram later)

So with that in mind speakers I was looking at are

* Onyo SKS-HT588 (€450) a "budget" 5.1.2 setup
* Onkyo SKS-HT978THX (€640)
* Q Acoustics 3000 5.1 cinema set (€1100),
* Kef Series C 5.0 set (4 C7's) (€900),
* Klipsch 5.1 set 2xR-28F, 2xR-14S, R-25C, R-12SW (~€1400) which is appealing for then having the matching Atmos speakers,
* Jamo S606/628 (€700).

Looking at Whathifi the only speaker set I can find here is that Q Acoustics 3000 set.

I'm partly working on the assumption that I've seen regarding Hifi where the budget should be split roughly X1 to amp and x2 to speakers (though with so many speakers I guess more like x3 to speakers).

I'd be grateful for any help / suggestions / questions that will make me think of something I hadn't thought of.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The general guide is you can spend 2 to 3 times the receiver price on the speakers to get the best from it. The QAs are getting a lot of good reviews so well worth a look. I listened to the older 2050s a while ago and they stacked up well compared to some Kef iQ5s I listened too at the same time. Hence the 3000 should be a pretty good option. That said Kef, Klipsch and Jamo are also all good speaker manfacturers as well.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
You don't want to put a sub in the corner. They need room to 'breath' just like speakers do.

tarasis

Standard Member
The general guide is you can spend 2 to 3 times the receiver price on the speakers to get the best from it. The QAs are getting a lot of good reviews so well worth a look. I listened to the older 2050s a while ago and they stacked up well compared to some Kef iQ5s I listened too at the same time. Hence the 3000 should be a pretty good option. That said Kef, Klipsch and Jamo are also all good speaker manfacturers as well.

Cheers. Certainly I don't remember QA, Jamo or Klipsch being around when I bought my Q15's, IIRC I auditioned in store about 10-12 different bookshelf speakers at the time and the Q15's matched the Arcam 8 best for me.

Looking at the specs, the QA's 3010 or 3020 are possibly not quite as good as the Kef Q15's (
68Hz - 22kHz vs 50Hz to 20kHz, though I guess the sub covers the low frequencies in that cinema set. Power seems to be 15-75w vs 100w, sensitivity 86db vs 91db). I suspect I'll drive myself potty looking at all of this stuff :)

You don't want to put a sub in the corner. They need room to 'breath' just like speakers do.

Ah thanks! Some of the stuff I had read / images I'd seen on Google image search suggested that they should go in the corners. If I wanted floorstanders then I was going to need to remove one of the units, so the sub could go in there.

-- Edit

Was looking at the Monitor Bronze 2's, but the "exchange rate" apparently is a killed Roughly £280 (365 euros) but two places I've checked in Germany are either 450 EUR or 480 EUR. WTH!

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The general advice is to set the speaker crossover to 80hz so do not really need the extra lower extension. How do you intend to mount the standmount speakers?

tarasis

Standard Member
On top of the Ikea units we are using. There are three, but we can easily remove one if needed. The Kef's used to be on stands that made them roughly the same height as they are now.

On the right where the plant is, is awkward as there is a link radiator with a stone shelf above it that the plant sits on.

image.jpg
image.jpg

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Speakers will not sound there best on a unit like that. They really need to either be on proper stands or wall mounted using proper brackets. Using foam isolation pads underneath and bringing them forward so proud of the front of the unit can help but still a compromise.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom