Need advice for 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 suit my theatre room size?

jamestyy

Novice Member
Hi All,

I am new to the audio setup with the room size I have 5930mm (19.5 ft) lengthx 3590mm (11.8ft) depth x 2700mm (8.9ft) ceiling height. Having difficulties in setting up any of 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 channel with room size I got. Hoping 9 speakers are adequate if not 11 speakers in this room will be absolutely a blast to the quiet neighbours! Their speakers position I draw hope are correct? Thinking of getting 2 subwoofers, any idea where to locate them?

I have draw the front speakers to 30 degrees to vertical and rear surround speakers to 55 degrees to the vertical that I found from the forum.

What OLED TV size I will need with the seat distance of 2784mm (9.1ft)?

Speakers, Receiver and Subwoofers I plan to get

7.2.4 Channel
Klipsch 8000f + 500SA - Front
Klipsch 5000f + 500SA - Rear
Klipsch 502S - Sides
Klipsch 504C - Centre
Yamaha A8A - Receiver
SVS PB 1000 Pro - Subwoofers

5.1.4 Channel
Klipsch 8000f + 502SA - Front
Klipsch 502S + 502SA - Rear
Klipsch 504C - Centre
Yamaha A8A - Receiver
SVS PB 2000 Pro - Subwoofers

Hope you guys can assist and have a good day.

Attachments

• Dolby Atmos Setup-Model.PDF
    45.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 1647633228574blob.png
    1647633228574blob.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 5_1_4_atmos_enabled_speaker_setup.pdf
    245.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 7_1_4_atmos_enabled_speaker_setup.pdf
    259 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Ideal ceiling speaker location is around 45 degrees in front and behind - an easy way to work that out is to measure from your ears to ceiling when seated, and then place the speakers that distance in front and behind. So if your ear to ceiling distance is 4ft, you place the front height speakers 4 feet in front, and the rear heights 4 feet behind. There is some leeway in the guidelines, but that's just a guide.

1647694379931.png

1647694443110.png

I personally would place the ceiling speakers midways between the left and centre, and right and centre if they would otherwise end up close to the walls. The reason being that the sounds tends to appear to travel up the walls rather than appear over head. As in the diagrams above, the speakers are firing down into the dead space either side of the seats, rather than to the people sitting in them, so would need to angle the speakers accordingly. Having them midway (just like they do in commercial theatres) tends to work better.

Attachments

• 1647694277056.png
    1647694277056.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 33

jamestyy

Novice Member
Thanks Peter,

I am trying not to set up ceiling speaker by using the Atmos speakers on the floor speaker pointed to the ceiling (sorry my mistake, typo on my speakers first time I listed, updated my first post). As I am living in the double storey and the theatre room is at the ground floor. Worry to cut holes on the ceiling, patching up etc.

Do you think with this room size, I should srtick with 5.1.4 or 7.1.4?

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Thanks Peter,

I am trying not to set up ceiling speaker by using the Atmos speakers on the floor speaker pointed to the ceiling (sorry my mistake, typo on my speakers first time I listed, updated my first post). As I am living in the double storey and the theatre room is at the ground floor. Worry to cut holes on the ceiling, patching up etc.

Your room size is similar (slightly narrower) to mine. I ran 7.2.4 until I was able to go 9.2.4 (wired for 9.4.4), and am planning on eventually going 9.4.6

I can highly recommend 7.x.4 or more in the space you have available. If you have two rows of seating, the rear row may be a little compromised with out of spec angles and distances, but they still get a great audio experience.

Plenty of reasonably priced Atmos capable amps can do 5.2.4, and with an extra power amp, have the processing to do 7.2.4

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
What OLED TV size I will need with the seat distance of 2784mm (9.1ft)?

I sit 8ft from an 11ft wide screen - a touch too close for action packed scenes, so I do zoom down to around 9 or 10ft wide for some movies.

There isn’t yet an OLED screen made that‘s large enough to sit that far away from if you want to be immersed in a movie.

A simple way to determine what you’re going to be comfortable with is to watch your current TV as close as you can get, and slowly back away to where you feel comfortable. Then just scale up appropriately to maintain those angles.

Let‘s say you feel comfortable watching a 50” TV from around 4.5ft, then at 9ft you’d get the same experience with a 100” screen.

Basically, if you’re going to sit around 9ft from your screen, you need a projector!

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Thanks Peter,

Unless the speakers are going to be very close to peoples ears when seated, I would try and go for 7.1.4. Having a sofa against the back wall and speakers right behind or to the side within inches of peoples heads are the kinds of situations where rear speakers won't work, so have to placed in unusual positions out of spec.

For sub location, REW is a program that has a room simulator where you put in the basic room dimensions and seat location and you can move the sub(s) around the room, with the program showing you the response a the seating position:

jamestyy

Novice Member
Thanks "The Dreamer" and Peter for your advices.

Yes total agreed with the contraint space I have in the room especially the surround speakers. Dolby website for setting up 7.1.4 channel are good indication of all the speakers with their angle positon but without their distance require. The front speakers are always comply with the angle and distance because we always wanted big screen in our theatre room. I presume that we all will be seated to the distance we need we can view the screen comfortably.

Unfortunately, the rear surround speakers are the most challenges to place them. Now I understand why people located them to the wall as to get the diagonal dimension to our ear rather than perpendicular to our listening position.

Distance for locating the speakers might be something to do their own speaker design where individually to locate them away from the listener and back wall. If I planned to have floor speaker at the rear as my surround, I think I might fall into "too short" of the distance.

For all the above I will try on the 5.2.4 set-up everything I could on the floor first, in the future I will come back to the 7.2.4.

Question I have not of the Klipsch 502S surround speakers, can it be placed at the rear or wall? As I saw their advertised as putting to the side surround speakers and the direction of this speaker are pointed to like 45 or 60 degrees apart. If putting this speakers to the rear, one of the speaker might be pointed to the listener but the other pointed away to the other direction. Not rear sure, have you guy have this issue before with Klipsch 502S or any similiar speaker design like that?

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom