need advice: camcorder for animation

M

motero

Hello,
I've got a young budding animator here at home, and I'd like to get a camcorder to help him. He wants to do LEGO animations (stop-action stuff) and drawn cartoons... anyone know of a camcorder (or features to look for) to facilitate this kind of movie-making? I've currently got a JVC GR-SXM740 which has a time-lapse feature, but this seems better suited for compressing slow events. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated... thanks. Take care and peace.
Mike

AFAIK stop action filming can only be done properly on film as video does not work on frames.
I also have a camcorder that can do time lapse, but it can only do a minimum record of 1 second, and time lapse needs about 24 frames per second. I don't think that you will get a camcorder that can do much less than 1 second at a time.
Perhaps another method to consider would be take stills with a digital camera and then use software on a PC to animate them.

Mark.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with MarkE19. I've got two Sony DV camcorders that can do stop animation at about six frames, which is less than a second since video shoots at 30 frames per second. My advice to you Motero, is to check out some of the Sony DV camcorders on the market and see which ones can shoot
stop animation at this rate. Some of the cheaper ones might not be able to, but you might have to spend a bit of money for the ones that do, but if you want to have a camera that has at least close to the ability of film cameras, I'd check out the Sonys. As a matter of fact, the camcorders I have actually call this feature "animation".
Anyway, I hope this helps. If you have any questions, send me an
e-mail. Tunes Man.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom