Need Advice: Buying Online vs Buying Retail

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by danlowe, Aug 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. danlowe

danlowe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm looking into buying my first HD setup and after reading up alot about it all, I decided to go with the Sony KDL-32V2000.

What i'm having real trouble deciding though is whether to buy online or buy from retail. Both these options have pro's and con's so being the fickle chap I am I wanted to hear what you guys have to say on the subject before I make my mind up.

Option 1: I trot down to John Lewis and I get the TV from there. I get the free 5 year warranty, plus it's easy to return if I have any problems. However, this option costs £1395.

Option 2: I buy it online, for the much lower price of around £1075 inc delivery. However this option doesn't have the free warranty and if there are any issues (read dead pixels), it's a pain to have to sent it back to be exchanged.

So really i'd like to know what people would recommend. Is the 5 year warranty really worth the extra cash? I'm pretty careful with my stuff but i've had a few pieces of kit before that have just died out on the 13th or 14th month and i've cursed at only having the 12 month manufacturers warranty.

Equally is the ease of returning stuff a fairly big deal? Are product defects and dead pixels really that frequent an issue?

Any advice that people can offer will be greatly received. :)

2. wellibob

wellibob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    John lewis is dear, but boy is there 5 year warentee worth its weight in gold, even if they do take yer set away for 2 months to fix it. You`ll know its got at least 5 years innit. Buying online is cheap, but boy you can have some fu8n even getting a reply from the e-tailer.

3. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My opinion.

I always buy from the cheapest reputable suppliers - WITH A CREDIT CARD. That way you have the important extra protection as the credit card company is tied into the transaction (even if you only pay a deposit on the card).

I do not go for the extended warranties either. Your consumer rights etc give you the protection you need, ie goods have to be fit for the purpose, and that means tv's can reasonably be expected to last five years. There was a case recently in Which? magazine where a customer won a case based on the fact that he bought a branded item and therefore it could be reasonably be expected that the item would be of a high quality and durable.

I have bought lots online including high value items with no problems (at least none that were not put right to my satisfaction). We bought a fridge for £1,100 that was replaced because it was damaged. We ordered oven/hob and the company went bust before delivery - the credit card company reimbursed us, etc etc.

4. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,183
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Tbh, it doesn't matter where you purchase your set from, always buy with a credit card and I always avoid the extended warranties. I recently returned my Tosh 32WLT66 for a brand new one quoting the Sales of Goods Act and also Trading standards. Have a look at this website for some great advice.

Go for the cheapest - same TV wherever you get it from!!

5. wellibob

wellibob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you have a firm stance on returning anythink, if your clever, you can always get items refunded or replaced. I do not stand for substandard products , and tend to purchase somethink where i know how the returns is going to be like. If my Tv goes tits up after 2 months, and i paid like a grand for it, there is no person on earth i wouldnt hunt down and kill to get the said item replaced or refunded. Ext warentees are as good as their discription, and with cetain companies they will bow to your knees, others wont. It boils down to how long getting the duff item sorted. As for televisions, its still a joke, as when we claim we have nothink to view whilst it gets repaired or what ever. everyone knows we have other sets lying about the house. I advise a place where you can physically place the busted item on the counter, and say "sort it" whilst welding yer fists in a polite manner. A face to face conflict goes better than sent e-mails or phone calls. If i order off the net, i can be assured its someplace i can drive too , and deal out the verbal. There is nothink wrong with spending a night in jail when the retailer doesnt see eye to eye with you. Still thats enough dribble for now.

6. Rodgy

Rodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You can't beat taking it back to a shop and getting a face to face - compared to on line where if there's a problem and you have to phone them to get "press this for that and press that for this" and 30 minutes later you're having a seizure........If you can use the price match to screw 'em down, I agree with the post above - with the 5 year g'tee, John Lewis is the best.

7. wellibob

wellibob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Any decent set should last 5 years , dependant of circumstances, .. ie if the telly is on 24/7 or the kids spew over the back of the set, and it catches fire.