Need advice before making a netbook purchase

Rincelex

Standard Member
Hi

I have been wanting a netbook for ages and finally now have some birthday money so I am going for it. I currently work on a pc at home which is, not sure the technical term, hard wired into the internet via a BT Modem.

I have no idea about how to use computers other than in this way, I have never had experience of WiFi, what do I do if I want to use my netbook upstairs or in the garden or on the move, what extra equipment do I need to make this work? is it going to cost me extra? Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple guide to obtaining and using wireless pc's - i.e. laptops, notebooks, netbooks etc, and I mean really simple. I need guidance on what I should be looking for when I buy and what if any extras I might need. All I want is to be able to surf the net whilst in the house or in the car or sitting on a bench in the local park and doing simple word processing documents like keeping notes whilst on holiday and thats about it nothing fancy.

Thanks hopefully for all your help

Tracy

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Hi

I have been wanting a netbook for ages and finally now have some birthday money so I am going for it. I currently work on a pc at home which is, not sure the technical term, hard wired into the internet via a BT Modem.

Hi Tracy,

First we need a little more info to really help.
You say you are hard wired in to your BT Modem, do you by any chance know what modem you have?
Is it for example a BT Homehub?
Knowing what you have will help greatly, so if you are able to check the bottom or back of it for any stickers that have the model number or such details on it - that would be great. It might even have things like Wireless Key on there - then you know you have wireless access.

I have no idea about how to use computers other than in this way, I have never had experience of WiFi, what do I do if I want to use my netbook upstairs or in the garden or on the move, what extra equipment do I need to make this work? is it going to cost me extra? Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple guide to obtaining and using wireless pc's - i.e. laptops, notebooks, netbooks etc, and I mean really simple. I need guidance on what I should be looking for when I buy and what if any extras I might need. All I want is to be able to surf the net whilst in the house or in the car or sitting on a bench in the local park and doing simple word processing documents like keeping notes whilst on holiday and thats about it nothing fancy.

Thanks hopefully for all your help

Tracy

Basically you need a wireless router, you may already have one - hence my first question.
This will allow you to connect multiple computers to the internet either via a wire or wireless.

If at present you don't have a wireless router (although I imagine you will have), you should contact your ISP (BT) and ask them to provide you with one - if you don't have one then you've been a customer for a long time without any upgrade and you should be entitled to one.

However - this will only allow you to use your home internet connection wirelessly within a confined range. So unless you live right next to the park or plan on using the internet in your car on the drive you're going to need to look at another option. That would be mobile broadband. Places like 3 and Vodafone will sell contracts for this and provide you with a USB dongle for access - this works like a mobile phone does to get internet access.

BT do have "BT Fon" which is a community thing where internet is shared, but it's coverage is not as good as mobile broadband.

So in short - to get sorted for in home/garden you should be okay, but to use it for anywhere further afield you want to consider mobile broadband and if the cost is worth it.

Hope this helps.

Rincelex

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice, the modem is a BT Voyager 220v ADSL Voice Router.

I think I know what the mobile broadband thing is but can you use these anywhere in the world or are they limited to UK only.

Tracy

Iccz

Distinguished Member
First thing I would do is contact BT and ask them if you're entitled to a free upgrade to a wireless router. That will sort you out for wireless around the house and garden.

As for the mobile broadband, as it works like phone it will work abroad but it will cost an awful lot... You'd be better off paying to use the internet at the hotel or such you are staying at.
So you're pretty much limited to the UK unless you want to spend a fortune.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom