1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice B&W Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by hindutimes, Jul 28, 2003.

1. hindutimes

hindutimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit struggling to decide which B&W Sub will I go for.
    Due to my tight sched, I don't have time to visit local dealers for some demo.

I need your assesment and experience on ASW 600 & 675.
    Basically, I don't want to spend more for bass frequency only but if ASW675 has considerable reasons against 600, then why not?

I'm aware of the power handlings of these subs and sizes but I don't know their performance.

BTW, not that I don't like ASW650 but the size is huge!
    My existing speakers are all B&W DM600 S3 series - the driver compatibility should be alright.

Cheerio:rolleyes:

2. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about the other subs but I have recently bought the ASW675 and it is superb!! Totally transformed my whole speaker package!

I have not heard a single bad word said about it and for me the only shame is that I have to hide it away cos it looks lovely!!

3. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have similar speakers to you - 600s3's (used to have 600 series all round, but now just a stereo pair). I demo'd the ASW675 a while ago; it's an excellent sub - more capable than the ASW600 I'm sure, given that it has a far more powerful amp and probably a better drive unit.

I wouldn't worry too much about driver compatibility in this case. The 675 was much too expensive for me - I ended up with a BK Electronics XLS-10 (very similar to this), which isn't quite a match for the B&W but is a better sub than the likes of the REL Q200E etc (IMHO) and less than half the price. Very happy with it so far. :)

If you don't have to limit yourself to something so compact, check out the Velodyne CHT-10/CHT-15, Paradigm Servo-15 etc.

MuFu.

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I recommend that you go for the asw675 if you can afford it. It really is a fantastic subwoofer in a compact and nice looking package. At the moment I am using it with M&K Satellites and it really is proving up to scratch and does not feel inferior in any way (apart from the fact that the finish does not match!!)

Most magazines reckon that it is the first competitive sub that B&W have made and I havent read anything but praise about it. People have complained that due to it being sealed box enclosure placement is critical but I personally have not had any problems (it currently resides in line but to the left of my front channels).

Yes it does have a lot of power but imho the more power the better with subs. For home cinema you really cant afford to go cheap on the sub. For the money there are better subs out there (lots of people seem to be jumping on the SVS bandwagon at the moment) but if you have your heart set on a B&W to go with the rest of your speakers then go for it without hesitation.