need advice / AV receiver - speaker upgrades

"Set your volume scale to the Decibel range rather than absolute" how you do that?
Go into the "Audio" menu, then "Volume". You should see a section headed volume scale.

Go into the "Audio" menu, then "Volume". You should see a section headed volume scale.
got it had to do it from the pc...

will have to recalibrate it again speakers are all messed up worse sounding than before now...

shouldn't be this hard... lol

got it had to do it from the pc...

will have to recalibrate it again speakers are all messed up worse sounding than before now...

shouldn't be this hard... lol
Factory reset the AVR, then do the recalibration. Before altering any setting, post the screenshot here.

what screenshot you need?...
just finished calibration
Any that show the decibel (trim levels) of the speakers, the distance, crossovers of all speakers and "size" that Audessey has set your speakers to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-17 Audio(1).png
    Screenshot_2021-05-17 Audio(1).png
    44.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_2021-05-17 Audio(2).png
    Screenshot_2021-05-17 Audio(2).png
    55.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_2021-05-17 Audio.png
    Screenshot_2021-05-17 Audio.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers(2).png
    Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers(2).png
    54.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers(3).png
    Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers(3).png
    54.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers(4).png
    Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers(4).png
    51 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers(5).png
    Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers(5).png
    44 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers(6).png
    Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers(6).png
    59.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers.png
    Screenshot_2021-05-17 Speakers.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 44
Fab. Now do the following:

Set Dynamic EQ "on"

Set the crossover for your centre and surround to 80Hz (leave the fronts at "full band". You can even try setting the surrounds higher to 120Hz, but start @ 80 and see how it sounds.

Leave everything else as is. Did you select "no sub" during the setup? Try changing subwoofer mode from "LFE" to "LFE+main" and lower the crossover from 250Hz to 120Hz

Edit let me know how it sounds after those changes 👍🏼

Set Dynamic EQ "on"

Set the crossover for your centre and surround to 80Hz (leave the fronts at "full band". You can even try setting the surrounds higher to 120Hz, but start @ 80 and see how it sounds.

Leave everything else as is. Did you select "no sub" during the setup? Try changing subwoofer mode from "LFE" to "LFE+main" and lower the crossover from 250Hz to 120Hz

cool man will do that after my soup ..

i did select no sub during setup / calib.......

cool man will do that after my soup ..

i did select no sub during setup / calib.......
That's probably why the subs own crossover setting is so high then @ 250Hz. When you finally get your sub, you'll need to re-do the calibration to EQ it into the system. The sub will handle All your bass needs! 🙂

That's probably why the subs own crossover setting is so high then @ 250Hz. When you finally get your sub, you'll need to re-do the calibration to EQ it into the system. The sub will handle All your bass needs! 🙂

Set Dynamic EQ "on"

changed all those ... surrounds freq's i cant change it wont let me... sub setting keeps changing back to 250hz but no biggie since i have no sub.

will blunder on with those settings til i get my sub .... should i be messing with the individual DB settings for the speakers or leave as is?

thanks for the advice dude...

changed all those ... surrounds freq's i cant change it wont let me... sub setting keeps changing back to 250hz but no biggie since i have no sub.

will blunder on with those settings til i get my sub .... should i be messing with the individual DB settings for the speakers or leave as is?

thanks for the advice dude...
Leave the individual dB settings for the speakers as they are.

It's strange how it won't let you change the crossover on the surrounds 🤔....

When you ran calibration did it give you the option of selecting if each speaker was "large" or "small". Think its under "amp assign". Make sure that the surrounds & centre are set to "small" setting the surrounds to large means you can't change the crossovers.

Edit "Large or small" setting has nothing to do with the actual physical size of the speaker, but whether you can set an individual crossover. Any speaker set to "large" will run use its entire frequency range. Setting the rears to small will allow you to set a crossover.

Note: Because you don't currently have a sub, running you mains at full range is fine. When you have a sub, you'd set all speakers to "small" and set the crossovers for the mains to 80Hz. Doing this will ensure that all frequencies below 80Hz go to the subwoofer (which is designed specifically to deal with low frequencies and will be better at it than your mains).

Last edited:
Right the speaker size setting is under "speaker config".

Select:

Manual setup
Speaker Config

Leave fronts as "large"
Centre "small"
Surrounds "small"

Then you should be able to set the surrounds crossover to 120Hz

Leave the individual dB settings for the speakers as they are.

It's strange how it won't let you change the crossover on the surrounds 🤔....

When you ran calibration did it give you the option of selecting if each speaker was "large" or "small". Think its under "amp assign". Make sure that the surrounds & centre are set to "small" setting the surrounds to large means you can't change the crossovers.
i noticed that too .. it didn't give me the option to setting the speaker sizes at all...

the surrounds were set to large and were set @ 40hz .. can change them now so set them to 80hz...

you're a legend buddy thanks ... sounds sound much better than they were.. just gave some tunes a blast -25DB is well loud and clear now feels like more oomph compared to what it was before.

: O

i noticed that too .. it didn't give me the option to setting the speaker sizes at all...

the surrounds were set to large and were set @ 40hz .. can change them now so set them to 80hz...

you're a legend buddy thanks ... sounds sound much better than they were.. just gave some tunes a blast -25DB is well loud and clear now feels like more oomph compared to what it was before.

: O
Your welcome mate, Try upping the surrounds crossover to 120Hz and the centre to 100Hz. If you don't like it you can change it back.

When you get your sub, message me as you'll need to set some physical dials on the sub prior to rerunning calibration. With a sub all your speakers are set to "small" as the sub takes care of the .1 (LFE channel) and low frequencies better than your mains can.

Pleased it's sounding much more to your liking now though! 😊👍🏼👌

Your welcome mate, Try upping the surrounds crossover to 120Hz and the centre to 100Hz. If you don't like it you can change it back.

When you get your sub, message me as you'll need to set some physical dials on the sub prior to rerunning calibration. With a sub all your speakers are set to "small" as the sub takes care of the .1 (LFE channel) and low frequencies better than your mains can.

Pleased it's sounding much more to your liking now though! 😊👍🏼👌
will do man will keep you posted...

my bass heavy tracks are still lacking but the acoustic / vocal tunes are jamming ... might do a vid after i get the sub set up.

peace n jam

What sub?

Very nice. They have a reputation of being very good with music. I’d be interested to know what you think of it when it’s all set-up and run in.

hey jester was looking for you ...

gimme a shout if your free or can leave it til tomorrow if needed being messing about with it already.

prolly give you a shout tomorrow if your about getting late and dont wanna agro the neighbours at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20210606_130141.jpg
    IMG_20210606_130141.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210606_130211.jpg
    IMG_20210606_130211.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210606_130455.jpg
    IMG_20210606_130455.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 32
new sub / power amp / Denon 4700 AVR / AV rack

Jeez mate... you're like Mickey Flanigan.... Except rather than being "out out". You go all "in, in" 😂😂🙈

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom