Need a Tv - Need some Advise

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by jermaindefoe, Jan 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. jermaindefoe

jermaindefoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey peeps, really need some help and was hoping someone could advise me on what TV i should get.

£500 is the limit, although at a stretch if it was going to imprve tv quality substantially i could stretch another £100 maximum. The only reason im getting one is coz i got a ps3 for crimbo and i have only got a 14" crt in my room which means i cant maximise the ps3 potential. I dont have sky HD so thats out the question but the ps3 does have the blue ray player.

i have been looking at the 1080p tv's but just outta my price range, please could someone advise me and point me out a tv they would get and list the reasons why (the lisitng of the reasons is most important to me)

thank you for your time and i anticipate your reply

JD

2. jermaindefoe

jermaindefoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Hi

Im rather a fan of Samsung.

You dont say what size screen you are after. Check out the "R88" series Samsung in both 26" and 32" which are going at very reasonable prices now.The former in particular,is a multi award winner.

The M8 series also has a gaming mode,but the smallest of those is 32"

The current Samsung sets have piano black body shells with either a curved lower front panel (R series) or a more rectangular aspect.

I believe that they all run at 8ms response time and have noticably bright picture yet with more than decent black levels.

Connectivity is also very good on the M8 series with 3 hdmi.

Take a look online and see what you think.

4. jermaindefoe

jermaindefoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply, in regards to screen sze im not bothered, its the quality of picture in relation tio price im more concerned about, i have a rigid budget and just want the best tv for the price

ill check out ur recommendations

5. jermaindefoe

jermaindefoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone else add to this? id appreciate some help coz £500/£600 is a lot of money for my to waste on a rubbish tv

thanks

6. jermaindefoe

jermaindefoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone else offer some help, i would really appreciate it,

ive got 2 weeks until i buy so im desperate

so far ive seen the 37" samsung in the bt shop for £530 (in the offers at the top of the forum)

but what can anyone else recommend for me

thanks

:lease:

7. nickmcb

nickmcb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - in response to the plea we are in excactly the same position and getting a Samsung 32" with 100Hz so it can cope with full-HD later on. The picture, and the look of the unit itself, just seems much the best out there.

When ohWHEN will we get the full package we all want - ie, TWO digital tuners (so you can watch one & record another), hard disc of a decent size to record onto, plus a DVD-recorder so you can archive stuff onto disc??

Kind regards

Nick McB:hiya:

8. mark1000

mark1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
  9. jermaindefoe

jermaindefoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so mark, i appreciate your reply greatly, if you had to compare the sony and samsung would you always go for the sony? the lure of an extra 5" screen size is quite tempting!

i do study computing and have quite a detailed knowledge of that area of technology, but TV's i have NO idea whatsoever.

thats why im trying to learn, all i no is that 1080p is the neweset, most HD you can get and that contrast ratio is the difference ebtween the blacks and the whites lol!!

also, can the sony be connected to my laptop to display the screen?

thanks again

10. mark1000

mark1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    I cant make a comparison with the sammy, never seen it, i have two sony's though and can say with complete confidence that they are great tv's.

1080p is the new benchmark but you need a big screen to take full advantage of it, i have a 40" 1080p sony and will say the detail is fantastic but to see it all you need to sit about 4 or 5 feet from it, any further away and you start to lose it.

Your laptop will display on the sony as long as you have a vga or hdmi out on it.

Mark.