• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need a sub £600 32" LCD for Sport (Cricket/Football), Standard Def viewing & PS3/DVDs

Chrispy2

Standard Member
Hello all,

I am new to posting here, but not sifting through all the great knowledge about av equipment.

I am after my first 32" LCD TV for what will be a lounge (and when I can afford to get a 37" Plasma, the bedroom, so + 5 years time!).

I have a PS3 which I will do a bit of gaming on and will watch upscaled DVD's and eventually Blu Rays on. I watch a lot of standard definition sport, especially Football and Cricket so how the TV copes with motion is key here. I am also going to connect a Sky+ Box and am looking at getting the Logitech z-5500 speaker system to connect to it all plus my pc which houses all of my music. This may not sound so good to those av experts out there, but I am on a budget with the sound and it seems pointless to get a home theatre system when I already have a PS3 to act as the media hub.

So my extensive research has led me to the following options:

Sony KDL-32D3000 (£580 until Monday)
Panasonic TX-32LXD70 (£500 until Monday)
Samsung LE-32M86BD (£480)
LG 32LT75 (£500)
Sony KDL-32S3000 (£440)
Samsung LE-32R87BDX (£400)

Panasonic TH-37PX80B (£600) - a sneaky inclusion of a low end 37" Plasma just to see what people think of it.

I would really appreciate some expert/owner advice and opinion on this. I can also wait a few months if needed (was looking for a deal as it's the bank hol), do people think the price of the Sony D3000 will come down?

Thanks a lot everyone!

Chris

Chrispy2

Standard Member
Ok so I have given far too much choice there:

Sony KDL-32D3000

or

Panny TX-32LXD70

!!

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Both are excellent sets.The sony offers extra some things with most important the 24p

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
I was looking at a similar list of sets last summer and plumped for the D3000 in the end as i felt that it's motion handling was best of the LCDs and i couldn't quite make room for the 37" (PX70) plasma in bedroom! The D3000 also seems slightly better future proofed with its 24p handling which maybe of interest to you if you watch any Blu-Ray on your PS3. However the Panasonic sets appear to do a slightly better job of displaying SD pictures from what I've seen and all things considered if i had the room I'd probably go for the plasma tbh.

Can't see the D3000' price dropping that much more as Sony' seem to retain their value quite well even when there's a replacement model due.

Chrispy2

Standard Member
Ok I have had a change of plan and am going to wait it out a little longer with a view to getting the Panasonic TX-LXD85. I think this may have an advantage over the Sony KDL-32W4000 because of it's 100hz motion handling. Strange that the Sony model has lost this feature. It is very important to me as I will be watching 50% sport on it. Panny seem to be getting good reviews yet again, any thoughts? Is my reasoning sound or just crazy!

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Before buying the panny I would wait to see the W4000

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom