1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a soundcard ??

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jameson_uk, Mar 4, 2005.

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I currently have a Dennon 2803 receiver and eveything is connected up via the SPDIF output (optical) from the onboard NForce sound.

This is working great except one minor niggle in that the optical connector on the pc is not good and the cable has a habbit of jumping out. From my previous AV setup I used coax digital connections and I prefer them just becase they feel more solid.

Other than changing between optical and coax digital connections, is there any point in actually getting a soundcard if all the decoding is done by the amp anyway ??

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've always used on-board coax S/PDIF outputs on my ASUS P4 boards and before that optical on nForce 2s, while audiophiles will tell you that on-board sound chips' support for this is poor I personally can't hea it. :)

3. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The main reason for getting a soundcard is so that you can listen to CDs using ASIO rivers that bypass the resampling to 48kHz by Windows KMixer. Having never had S/PDIF on the motherboard I can't comment on the difference this makes, however I think my PC with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sounds alright. If you're just using the PC for DVDs or Television, there is no point as TV is broadcast at 48kHz sampling rate and DD/dts bypasses KMixer anyway...

Simon