need a small TV tuner?

sharper

Novice Member
Want to get rid of bulky VCR and need a TV tuner to pick up RF signal from another room. Must be cheap!

jameslindsey

Novice Member
If you've got a decent ariel have you considered Freeview? Agros are flogging Sagem boxes for £30 which are titchy and adequate.

sharper

Novice Member
jameslindsey said:
If you've got a decent ariel have you considered Freeview? Agros are flogging Sagem boxes for £30 which are titchy and adequate.
thx
Question do they have an analogue tuner like a normal VCR so i can tune in the sky channels from another room? I thought they were digital and I thought you had to have a freeview subscription?

sorry if this a daft question

O

oilman

sharper said:
thx
Question do they have an analogue tuner like a normal VCR so i can tune in the sky channels from another room? I thought they were digital and I thought you had to have a freeview subscription?

sorry if this a daft question

I assume you mean an RF cable connection from your SKY box. All freeview boxes have RF pass through i.e. they simply pass anaolgue signals in and out. You will need to connect the freeview box RF out to the TV ariel input of course. You would have to tune the TV to the SKY RF frwequency.

I am assuming your TV ariel would be connected to the SKY box first.

By the FREEVIEW does not require a subscription. That's why its called FREEVIEW.

It's a bit confusing as the term "FREEVIEW" is a bit like HOOVER or BIRO. The boxes are technically DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL TELEVISION boxes. FREEVIEW is simply a service that uses DTT. Another service also uses DTT i.e. TOPUPTV - their service is encrypted and you need to pay.

sharper

Novice Member
oilman said:
I assume you mean an RF cable connection from your SKY box. All freeview boxes have RF pass through i.e. they simply pass anaolgue signals in and out. You will need to connect the freeview box RF out to the TV ariel input of course. You would have to tune the TV to the SKY RF frwequency.

I am assuming your TV ariel would be connected to the SKY box first.

By the FREEVIEW does not require a subscription. That's why its called FREEVIEW.

It's a bit confusing as the term "FREEVIEW" is a bit like HOOVER or BIRO. The boxes are technically DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL TELEVISION boxes. FREEVIEW is simply a service that uses DTT. Another service also uses DTT i.e. TOPUPTV - their service is encrypted and you need to pay.
Confusion I don't have a tuner in the room in question. I have a VCR which I want to get rid. It is used as TV tuner for my for a plasma. I don't think the Freeview box can do this ie I have sky+ as channel 6 and Sky as channel 7 on the vcr.

Can you tune a freeview box it sounds like its pass through only and need to tune the channels?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect in trying to help we're only confusing the issue.

If I undersand it correctly, the OP has no desire for Freeview; he's got Sky. He wants to drive his upstairs TV using an RF signal coming from Sky downstairs. His VCR is currently used in this way.

To answer the question: Standalone UHF TV tuners are rare and disproportionately expensive. A VCR is the cheapest way to do it.

HOWEVER: You'd probably get a better result if you invested in a Video Sender. This would also give you remote control access to the Sky box(es) downstairs. Visit www.maplin.co.uk and search for "VIDEO SENDER" for some choices.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Sky and Sky+ boxes already have a facility built in for remote control using the RF2 outlet and a Skylink (approx £10 from ebay or similar) although these only give mono audio.

The video senders I have seen all still require a UHF tuner in the remote location.

The smallest UHF tuner boxes (at realistic prices) I have seen are stand alone tuners that Redifusion used some 20 years ago (available with various video outlets - comp/RGB etc) but these were about the same size as a modern DVD player. The only others I have seen are the seperate tuners that used to accompany Camcorders (usually only comp output) but again these are not much smaller than a VCR

Maplin do have this http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=video to vga&ModuleNo=45227&doy=21m8 which although meant as a RGB to VGA converter also has a built in UHF tuner (providing your plasma has VGA input)

sharper

Novice Member
davemurgatroyd2 said:
Sky and Sky+ boxes already have a facility built in for remote control using the RF2 outlet and a Skylink (approx £10 from ebay or similar) although these only give mono audio.

The video senders I have seen all still require a UHF tuner in the remote location.

The smallest UHF tuner boxes (at realistic prices) I have seen are stand alone tuners that Redifusion used some 20 years ago (available with various video outlets - comp/RGB etc) but these were about the same size as a modern DVD player. The only others I have seen are the seperate tuners that used to accompany Camcorders (usually only comp output) but again these are not much smaller than a VCR

Maplin do have this http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=video%20to%20vga&ModuleNo=45227&doy=21m8 which although meant as a RGB to VGA converter also has a built in UHF tuner (providing your plasma has VGA input)
Thanks for that

Top Bottom