Question Need a slightly larger image...new projector time...?

Deleted member 134693

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve been putting together a cinema room for the last few weeks which is in a spare bedroom and consists of a 100” AT screen and I’m using a JVC HD350 for now which does produce quite a nice image. However I think the projector is slightly too close to the screen (off the top of my head it’s 2.9m) as I can’t quite get the image to fill my screen and there’s a 4” gap between the image and screen edge all around. I’ve zoomed it out to the max and messed with all the settings but it looks like I need to have more distance between the PJ and screen which I can’t do.

From looking online I need 3.01m to get a 100” image so not a million miles off but I can’t physically move the screen / Pj any further apart. I had a quick look at short throw lenses but they appear to cost nearly as much as a decent s/h projector, I’ve also seen the mirror trick but don’t really want to go down that route.

Are there any other PJ’s out there that work a little closer to the screen that’d fill my screen so something that works at about 2.9m or slightly less. I’d ideally like a JVC / Epson/ Sony.

I know I should of done a little more research maybe and gone for a slightly smaller screen but I never really considered it wouldn’t beam the required image as this is my first foray in to PJ’s.

Many thanks for any help.
Mark

I think jvc, Sony and Epson have the same min throw ratio.
Could you use some border tape.

My Epson eh-tw9300 is on the back wall, as is the sofa. That is the thx recommended seating distance (by design I suppose).

1 of the latest Benq (4k) would work or possibly the Epson 7000.

There is a projector throw calculator on projectorcentral that can be useful to check.
You also need to take the length of the projector into the equation and if the projector has air vents at the rear so there needs to be some distance to the back wall.

I had a quick look at short throw lenses but they appear to cost nearly as much as a decent s/h projector, I’ve also seen the mirror trick but don’t really want to go down that route.

What kind of short throw lenses did you look at, some kind of Anamorpic lenses or more like this?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
An Epson EW7100 will need 2.9m minimum for a 100" screen/image, for a shorter distance than that it's likely going to be a BenQ; eg a W2700/TK850 will do 100" from 2.4m.

Of all the current 3 chip units, Epson tend to have the widest range of lens adjustments I believe, and you're still short for that I think. Consider talking to @Rickyj at Kalibrate about using a lens to adjust the throw, he showed us some when I visited on an open day a while ago.
I fear that without getting into the things you're saying you don't want (mirrors or extra lenses) you're condemned to reducing the screen size somehow or getting a DLP short throw unit.

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for my slow response - work is off the scale busy!!

I will have a proper measure up and see what the exact distance is I have to play with! Its annoying as I'm only about 2" short on the screen at each side!!

Extreme vertical lens shift can give an extra 1-2inches

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom