Need a screen, here is my spec, thank you

dognosh

Established Member
Reaction score
AVforums is costing me, ouch:eek:
so I am going for the panasonic PT-AE1000E
the HD delivery will be from my VAIO laptop(Blu-Ray) Via HDMI
Screen is to be placed in front of my SD TV, on ceiling,and when extended out it will be free standing,not against the wall or anything
(so it drops down in front of TV)
Throw is going to be 3 metres
Room lighting can be very low if needed
I checked http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic_Home-PT-AE1000E-projection-calculator-pro.htm for setup and at aspect ratio of 16:9 at 3 metres it reckons a diagonal of 2.4 metres
budget £500-£750

ok,now my question
should I get electric or not ?
what size screen should I go for?
what gain screen should I get ?
anything else like the quality of the screen ?
I know nothing about screens:rolleyes: (just heard BEAMAX is a decent screen maker?)

help :lease:

I'm in a similar position - ae1000, 3 to 4 meter throw, with front seats 12 ft from the screen - and can't decided whether to go for a high contrast screen, something with a high gain, or both/neither. The only thing i've settled on is the size, which is 2 meters wide (approx 96" diag).

Apparently the ae1000 isn't that bright - so limiting the screen size probably makes sense. One review suggested no more than 110". I've also read that between 1.5 and 2 times the screen width to your seating position is a good size (i'm going for something in the middle). The other determining factor seems to be how well ambient light can be controlled in your room - what colour are your walls/ceiling/floor and can you keep sunlight out effectively?

tbh i'm inexperienced in all this and don't really know what else to suggest. For 5-7 hundred i'd want electric, though.

sunlight ? *dognosh gurgles then lick the blood off his lips and says * what is that ?:D

I am at work during sunlight:(
so I can keep low ambient light:thumbsup:

high contrast or gain ? don't know hence I need the help

ok, also to my above questions is another, how ok is it to buy a screen larger than the size I will be using ? reason I ask is because if I get a 2.3M diagonal screen and realise it's too big can I use part screen to watch without ill effects to my viewing quality?

If the screen is too big it won't "break" your image... however I would not get a screen larger than the image, it's a waste of those lovely black borders.

You say you are at 3m with a 2.4m image (94") I would go for a 92" screen. That is the size of mine and I sit about 3m away, it "feels" a good size for me.

If light is not an issue, then a mat white screen would do. And if it is to come down in front of an existing display, with your budget, I would go for electric.

excellent advice:clap:

so ,can you now point me to 2 or 3 suitable models or manufacturers guys ?
(when I choose I'll post details here before buying for your scrutiny)

People seem to like the Da-Lite range. I have a greywolf2, but that's not the screen for your setup.

The GWII is not the screen for you.
Da-Lite is a well known brand that quite a few members have.

Have you settled on a screen, dognosh?

I'm going for a AE1000 too and really can't decided whether to go for a high contrast screen or not.

:thumbsup:
Have you settled on a screen, dognosh?

I'm going for a AE1000 too and really can't decided whether to go for a high contrast screen or not.

I'd strongly recommend that you wait until you get your PJ and then try projecting onto a white wall ( if this is possible). I ordered my screen before I got my AE1000 and now I wish I'd waited because I don't think I really needed a high gain. Now I'm stuck with it so I've had to buy an ND2 filter to dim it down.:eek: I would say however that the 'gray' aspect of it seems to help give better blacks compared to my magnolia wall, so I give the 'high contrast' side of it the thumbsup.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom