Need A Sattelite 101 from you great people please.....

Spainexpat

Standard Member
Ok, im a satellite newbie.

When we moved here to Alicante, ther was a massive dish on the roof, pointing at Astra 2E. There wasnt a sat box, but i got one, plugged it in and did a scan, i didnt change any settings, and it found all the right channels.

It died last week, i have anew cheap one.

This one doesn't seem keen on finding all the channels. Im trying to figure out why. The little (single sheet A6) 'handbook' that came with it doesnt tell you much. Someone wasnt keen on writing documentation.

Ive played about and got some channels, but ive lost Sky Arts, Talking Pictures, Film4, Blaze the Sony channels to name a few. weve picked up the CBS channels two or three itv channels, some bbc, the free music channels liek Box.

ie weve picked up

1619214484282.png

but not

1619214519617.png

or Sky Arts

1619214712529.png

I have Astra 2e added, i had to manually put it into the sattelite list.

The Antenna settings have several options, how do these relate to the above missing channels?

SATELLITE - 12/36 astra 4A SE5/6
LNB frequency Universal1 9750/10600
22k AUTO
DiSEq 1.0 OFF
DiSEq 1.1 OFF
TP 1/98 11727 / h / 27500

These settinsg have got the most channels but im still missing ones.

Any words of wisdom gratefully recieved

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Probably receiver tuner sensitivity differences. But double-check the cables for damage, kings and perhaps re-make the F-plugs? Connection issues are often a cause of problems?

Lyngsat Astra 2E/2F/2G at 28.2°E - LyngSat says
11264 is Eu and 50dB (W) erp,
11306 is UK and 54dB
12070 is Eu and 54dB

Now, without going all through the transponders and channels you do get... it's hard to see any 'pattern' - maybe you can do the legwork on that?

At one time Humax Foxsat-HDRs were a recommended receiver for their tuner sensitivity. Perhaps some research on current sat receivers tuners may be in order? (Expat communities will be better informed than me, for sure!)

Spainexpat

Standard Member
Well expats here get freesat using a 1.9m dish pointing at astra2e 28.3E no problem. So either this new box is somehow less sensitive or ive not got the right settings on the antenna and sattelite pages, thats what i was hope you nice people would tell me....

What do i need to scan to get sky arts, which we got on the old box.?

can somone explain these settings to me?

SATELLITE - 12/36 astra 4A SE5/6 - why does this say 12/36
LNB frequency Universal1 9750/10600 - is this the right frequiency?
22k AUTO
DiSEq 1.0 OFF
DiSEq 1.1 OFF
TP 1/98 11727 / h / 27500 - does 'TP' mean 'transponder'? Do i have to scan every transponder 1 by 1 ? Why does it say thers only 98 when in the lists the transponder numbers go much higher? How is this number 11727 related to the LNB number 9750 ?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Google:
Low-noise block downconverter - Wikipedia explains a bit about LNBs and Intermediate frequencies to 'down convert' the 11.272 GHz to something the cable can transport to the receiver.

The settings look correct for a "Universal" LNB as typically installed for Astra.

TP = TransPonder in shorthand.

The others are a 'foible' of the sat receiver maker and some random stored database, I'd suggest? Ask the supplier/maker what they mean?

Most receivers have a manual scan and auto scan feature. They also have signal strength and quality / bit error rate meters... occasionally both pre- and post- error correction.

I'd suggest - unless something has moved the dish, lnb or grown up in front of it, or a cable is damaged - that the receiver is just not as good as the old one?

A (very good) local sat dish installer could check signal levels with a professional meter to confirm they are within an acceptable tolerance for the location?

$ky Arts: Your pic in post #1 has the frequency and polarisation etc.,. numbers? Use those!

Spainexpat

Standard Member
Im starting to think the satellite receiver isnt as good. AFAIK the cable is new two years ago, and when the old one died i got a chap to check the signal off the dish so we could determine if it was the lnb or the box. So its a fair comment that the issue is either its a box or ive not go the right settings in, of which im a novice.. I also notice i get strength 70% and Quality 50% wher i used to get strength 90% and Quality 75%.

How many transponder should i see looking at the astra 2e satellite? this box see's 98.

$ky Arts: Your pic in post #1 has the frequency and polarisation etc.,. numbers? Use those!

Ah thats the issue, when i look at the LNB frequencies in the antenna page i dont see 12870/H /27500 listed.

Why not? Wher does the box get those numbers from ?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Ah thats the issue, when i look at the LNB frequencies in the antenna page i dont see 12870/H /27500 listed.

Why not? Wher does the box get those numbers from ?
From the maker (???????) of the box model's (?????) database. It may be possible to get an updated listing off the makers website to upload into it via a USB stick or similar?

On my Humax Foxsat-HDR any transponders not listed automatically can have the parameters manually input and then scanned for channels. Don't all boxes allow that?

But, to be frank, you may be best to ditch this cheap no-name box and research a better quality replacement that is more 'user friendly' out of the box and/or has a brand specific online community user support to help you. (Or a local box retailer who can do the same, ideally having it all set up for you to plug in and go?)

You may need to read through some of the older threads here where "Enigma" type boxes have been discussed with some makes recommended by users. It's the route I may go when my Humax dies.

Spainexpat

Standard Member
Thanks, i fear you are right......ive seen boxes advertised that are preloaded from astra 2e and ready to go for £35 a pop, i may give one a try.

I can afford to do this because of the £600 ive saved living in spain and thus not having to pay the bbc viewing tax.

Spainexpat

Standard Member
Actually ive had a thought/ Theres an option to add transponders. so if i want to add the transponder , 10724 /H/ 22000 , i add it to the Astra 2e satellite, then scan it? And i do that with all the missing transponders?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
See the point is all we need this for is so SWMBO can watch Emmerdale on ITV, Sky arts and Talking Pictures, it doesnt justify £200 spending on it

how about this

Amazon product

Unless you can get the UK spot transponders you are wasting your money.

It's likely you can only get the Europe beam transponders.

The ones labelled Europe beam in the link I posted.

Spainexpat

Standard Member
idk, this is beyond my knowledge, thats why i came here. We used to get all Freesat including Sky Arts, so doesnt that indicate we can get the UK ones ?

I would assume theres no harm in adding the missing tranponders and trying it? it will either work or it work, surely ?

Last edited:

logiciel

You assume correctly so try it!

As you got all channels before and nothing‘s changed then given a decent receiver you‘ll get them again.

Spainexpat

Standard Member
See im thoroughly confused here. The footprint map says i cant get Uk spot beam. The FTA channels listed for European 2e 2f 2g do not include ITV. But the sat and TV guy page says otherwise.

Yet ive done a scan and got three ITV's (the wrong ones, Meridian), and some BBC's, yet they, according to the list, can only be got off the Uk spot beam. Plus i can only see 93 transponders, but i see on the lists far more.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
That's because the info from those sites is way out date. If you can get ITV regions your dish must be large enough to get the UK spot beams.

Something like a Humax Foxsat-HDR may well work in Freesat mode, These have very good tuners.

A Freesat box will give you a full epg and series recording.

You may still have issues with HD channels. They use a FEC (forward error correction) that makes the signal less robust (increases transponder capacity). If you get SD and not HD that is likely to be the issue,

REPASSAC

Grahams omment re FEC is spot on. Here in SW France in any storm (electrical or heavy rain) HD channels tend to break up while SD remain solid. 1m dish.

Spainexpat

Standard Member
Well yes, that happens here, a good rainstorm and the satellite goes dead, but on the Costa Blanca it only rains 10 days a year, and i can switch to streaming uktv off an IPtv box as an emergency (but its less reliable and much too hard for the wife to operate)., so we can live with that.

I tried adding a transponder to this box. Its a nightmare. When you get into the ADD TRANSPONDER, you cant just type in 10700 , you have to left arrow on the remote and watch it count up, and it starts at 5000. it took 40 mins to count up to 10700. The bottom box, that needs to be 22000, starts at 1000, so you can say ill take at least 2 hours to add one transponder. Attempting to type in the number directly with the remote results in INVALID TP. So welcome to the world of sh*te chinese coding.

I appreciate the suggestion of a humax box, but at £150+ each its a non starter, I have many other things i need to spend that sort of money on. So i think the plan here is buy the preloaded box above at £30, then i can see the difference between the two, and thus determine if the first box is truly crap (which we think it is) or the dish has moved slightly. - I could pay £40 to have the dish checked, but then id stil be stuck with a suspect box. So for £30 i can get a box that already set up and gets good stars and will tell me if the other box is rubbish by comparison, or the same , which indicates the dish has moved, and i get a spare box out the deal . I hope you follow my logic. :D

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

It doesn't have to be raining where you are. It can be anywhere in the upper atmosphere between your location and 28.2E. The satellites are located about 22000mls away directly over the equator at 28.2E. A dish located there would have an elevation of 90 degrees to point at 28.2E. It would not get the UK channels because of the beam patterns. Because they orbit directly above the equator and orbit in the same direction as the earth spins at a speed that maintains them above the same they appear to be stationary.

Spainexpat

Standard Member
Ok heres the the result. The Box i bought as mentioned above came preloaded, but was pointing at Astra3, so all the preloaded channels were in german.. I cleared all those off, pointed it at Astra 2 and without changing anything esle scanned it. It took 8 mins to scan 111 TP, (the first box said 93) and its found around 75 unscrambled channels, including the ones SWMBO wanted, eg Sky Arts, Talking Picture, Blaze etc. Loads of channels

Signal strength is arund 90%, Quality 85%.

CONCLUSION: The first box is a pile of doggy doo, the only identification on it is "Dintel DVB-S2". And the dish is fine.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
CONCLUSION: The first box is a pile of
Thanks for updating the thread, and a good outcome for you!

I had reached your conclusion quite a few days ago. ;)

At least your no longer in the dog house as Emmerdale can be watched again (?in HD? as ITV have dropped a fair few of their SD variants in the past month).

Spainexpat

Standard Member
i was having to use TVMucho app over the internet, on a MeCool M8s android box so she could watch emmerdale. Its a truly dreadful, really badly written piece of software. I worked in IT 1978-2012, i started as a Junior programmer writing COBOL66 and finished as a Senior projects manager doing £1m rollouts. Because of script kiddy languages like java, the quality of software has gone through the floor ever since the advent of android and iOs. Any idiot can write a piece of poor software and inflict it on the world...music has gone the same way...

I helped create the Internet world, if id know 50 years later it would end up with TVMucho, Facebook and Kim Kardashian, id have strangled it at birth for the good of mankind

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco introduces N50-S38 music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony expands 360 Reality Audio to Amazon Music Unlimited
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google launches Pixel 6 and 6 Pro smartphones