Question Need a replacement or alternative to my iPod Touch 5th Gen. for Spotify.

pcdunk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, Looking for some advise for a something to replace my 32GB iPod Touch 5th Gen. This device is nearly full of Music from CD's plus iTunes. I now have a requirement for downloading music from Spotify. I was looking to get either a second hand 128GB/64GB iPod Touch 6th Gen or a 64GB iPod Touch 5th Gen. (I have a wanted add on these forums).

Now I normally listen listen through either EarPods or my Sennheiser HD598 headphone.

So is there any other player that I should look at that can connect to Spotify. The ones that I have looked at have mixed reviews.

Yeah daps tend to have mixed reviews, if it's not hardware then it's a software quirk. What about using a smartphone

My current phone does not have the capacity either. I also find that the iPod touch has a much better volume level plus wanted to keep my music and phone separate.

Can anyone confirm if all iPods Touch series in the UK have a volume cap, which maybe why I think the volume of mine (US version) was quite good.

Here’s an article detailing players that work well with Spotify:

One advantage that most DAPs have over an iPod Touch is that you can add huge amounts of memory via micro SD cards.

HB

I was looking at the FiiO M9 or even a FiiO M6

I wonder if anyone has used these for Spotify and could advise what they are like in use.

It doesn't help your decisions, but I got the Fiio M3K at the end of last year and I'm pretty happy with it, but I wish now I'd gone for one with Spotify capabilities. I really like Fiio stuff and the M3K is great for FLAC and MP3, but sometimes I want to listen to something different. If you do go for the M6 or M9 please let us know how you get on.

Spotify works fine on my FiiO M11 Pro and is no different operationally compared to my iPhone (but does sound better!).

You need to make sure that you have the SD card installed with all relevant permissions granted for apps to use it before you instal Spotify else it will use the generic internal storage for downloads (you can delete the app and reinstal it again if you forget - it's not permanent).

HB

Any idea how the Spotify interface compares to Spotify on an iPod Touch. Is it similar or completely different?

I’m assuming that the version that the iPhones run is the same as that on a Touch and it seems to behave the same to me on the FiiO.

However, if you want some screen shots of specific functions / actions let me know which ones? I’ll post some pics for you.

HB

It doesn't help your decisions, but I got the Fiio M3K at the end of last year and I'm pretty happy with it, but I wish now I'd gone for one with Spotify capabilities. I really like Fiio stuff and the M3K is great for FLAC and MP3, but sometimes I want to listen to something different. If you do go for the M6 or M9 please let us know how you get on.
I have just ordered an M9 will update my findings here in due course

Spotify works fine on my FiiO M11 Pro and is no different operationally compared to my iPhone (but does sound better!).

You need to make sure that you have the SD card installed with all relevant permissions granted for apps to use it before you instal Spotify else it will use the generic internal storage for downloads (you can delete the app and reinstal it again if you forget - it's not permanent).

HB

Thanks for the info, As you may see below I have ordered a M9. A couple of question so I may be ahead of the game before it arrives.

Are permissions granted from the settings menu and will that keep the unit pointing tom the storage on the memory card? I have seen discussions on how it keeps reverting back to online storage.
Also with regards Spotify. Where do you get Spotify from and do you install it on the internal storage or the memory card.
Any sequence of events I should follow with the installation.

Sorry for all the questions. I am a long term Mac/IOS user and have had no dealings with Android so any hints/tips would be much appreciated, Kind Regards

No problem. I’m a long time iOS user too so I’m still not completely familiar with Android myself!

From memory, once I installed the SD card a message popped up asking if Google Play / Apps can access and use it and I simply selected yes. I then installed Spotify from FiiO’s applications (an app on the homescreen), entered my password etc. and other than changing volume to quiet and highest quality streaming and downloads it was good to go.

Here’s some pics of the FiiO home screen and the storage in Spotify’s settings showing what it’s used (I have a 200GB microSD card mostly full of FLAC and only a few downloads from Spotify at the moment).

Any other questions fire away and I’ll try to help but as I said I’m a novice Android user so you may also need more knowledgable users’ help!

Let us know how you get on?

HB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
So when save anything from spotify it automatically goes to the SD card. How does it handle WiFi. e.g if I have set up WiFi to my router at home. I go to my sons house and connect to his router there. Will I then be able to go between the two locations and will it automatically re-connect. Are all the Apps stored on internal memory? I must say the manual is a bit on the poor side.

So when save anything from spotify it automatically goes to the SD card. How does it handle WiFi. e.g if I have set up WiFi to my router at home. I go to my sons house and connect to his router there. Will I then be able to go between the two locations and will it automatically re-connect. Are all the Apps stored on internal memory? I must say the manual is a bit on the poor side.
Yes, it saves to microSD card if you have installed one and enabled it.

Yes, Spotify will work with any WiFi connection (as long as the router providing WiFi is connected to the internet) once you’ve entered credentials.

HB

Well my FiiO M9 arrived a couple of days ago but I have not had a chance to try it out much due to me ordering my MicroSD card separately.

A couple of bits of info so far:-

It looks quite well made and the little case that comes with it works quite well.

Tried using Bluetooth from my iPod Touch while I was out during a walk sounded very good. Although the sound appears to be clearer than the iPod Touch the bass is lower and the high end is a bit brighter. I suspect playing around with the equaliser may balance this out. Instruments seem to have better clarity.

The operation of the unit is a bit different/quirky after using Apple devices.

Plugged it into my iMac to use in DAC mode, worked fine.

Installed Spotify to try it out and downloaded a few tracks for off line listening. The Spotify interface seems to be much the same as on my iPod Touch.

Screen is not as good as the iPod Touch, both visually and the touch control.

Well my EarPods controls don't work but that is expected due to Apple using a different configuration for the wiring. So to get round this I may get an Android compatible set of earphones and replace the transducers.

Lot of different modes to tweak.

Removed the Apps that I don't intend to use.

So my plan is when I get the Micro SD card is to reset it to factory settings and update the firmware then put about 40GB of files from Spotify on it.

Out of the box it will not let me update the firmware either the online or standalone version until I have a memory card.

So I will give it a try for a week before I decide to keep it.

Well my FiiO M9 arrived a couple of days ago but I have not had a chance to try it out much due to me ordering my MicroSD card separately.

A couple of bits of info so far:-

It looks quite well made and the little case that comes with it works quite well.

Tried using Bluetooth from my iPod Touch while I was out during a walk sounded very good. Although the sound appears to be clearer than the iPod Touch the bass is lower and the high end is a bit brighter. I suspect playing around with the equaliser may balance this out. Instruments seem to have better clarity.

The operation of the unit is a bit different/quirky after using Apple devices.

Plugged it into my iMac to use in DAC mode, worked fine.

Installed Spotify to try it out and downloaded a few tracks for off line listening. The Spotify interface seems to be much the same as on my iPod Touch.

Screen is not as good as the iPod Touch, both visually and the touch control.

Well my EarPods controls don't work but that is expected due to Apple using a different configuration for the wiring. So to get round this I may get an Android compatible set of earphones and replace the transducers.

Lot of different modes to tweak.

Removed the Apps that I don't intend to use.

So my plan is when I get the Micro SD card is to reset it to factory settings and update the firmware then put about 40GB of files from Spotify on it.

Out of the box it will not let me update the firmware either the online or standalone version until I have a memory card.

So I will give it a try for a week before I decide to keep it.
I agree that the Android operation feels quirky compared to Apple devices! You do get used to it though and I actually don’t mind it now.

Keep us posted on your thoughts once you instal an SD card and have updated the firmware :thumbsup:

HB

Well memory 200gb card arrived and installed and downloading a couple of thousand tracks from Spotify. Then I will copy over 2.5k tracks from my iPod touch. Prior to the memory card arriving a borrowed an 8gb card and used that to update the firmware, actually did it over the air but it required a card in the slot to do so. Had to do it twice. from 1.04 to 1.05 to 1.06. I deleted spotify off the player and once the 8gb was installed I copied the Spotify installer onto the card and installed from there. It seemed to recognise the card as the destination of the data from Spotify.

Another couple of things the touch screen is somewhat difficult to use especially when trying to adjust the equaliser. The screen could do with using darker/larger font and some items difficult to see. Forget trying to see the screen on a sunny day.

Finally for now. Does anyone know how to back up this type of device on a Mac. You see with my iPod touch I back this up via iTunes on my iMac. So if I have to restore I will get my Spotify Library and files reinstalled. However I don't know how tis would work on an Android device.

I am still comparing the output to my iPod Touch however I am not convinced if I prefer the sound of the FiiO. Maybe now I have a bigger selection of music on it I will get a better feeling. If not I may return it and start looking for a 6th gen iPod Touch (US version without the volume cap).

Can anyone confirm if all iPods Touch series in the UK have a volume cap, which maybe why I think the volume of mine (US version) was quite good.
Bought mine in the UK. I can disable volume cap.

I believe there is a limit on all EU devices that are bundled with earphones.

So if in Setting/Music you have two sliders one Max Vol. and one EU Volume Limit then Max vol= 100db with EU Volume limit on 85db

My US Version has no EU Volume limit and I believe it goes to 120db. although you can manually set a lower limit.

Maybe this explains although it mentions iPhones same applies to iPod touch as it is bundled with earphones :-

There are two limits enforced in the EU:
85 decibles (user removable)
100 decibels (non user removable)
Both measured with bundled earphones.
iOS EU LIMIT DISABLE toggle removes the 85 decibels limit. Not the 100 decibels one.

That's the way it is. CENELEC has the regulations publicly available.

EU iPhones -> 0'5 volts with no load
Non EU iPhones -> 1 volt with no load

Well after much playing about with the settings I have decided to return this and look for a used US iPod Touch 64/128GB. The sound profile was not for me plus too many quirks. Wanted to like it but kept comparing tracks with my iPod Touch which I decided I preferred. Still it was worth a try.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom