1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a replacement lead for my HD600s

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by SadMac, Apr 14, 2005.

1. SadMac

SadMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sennheiser's lead has broken for some inexplicable reason. :( I get intermittent sound from the right can.

Is this the right one? It doesn't mention HD600 in the list that's all.

Oh, if someone knows somewhere better/cheaper to get one from that would be appreciated too. :)

2. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm fairly certain that this is NOT the lead for your HD600s. I think that the replacement lead for the HD580, 600 and 650s replacement lead costs twenty five or thirty quid. I could'nt find a link to these cables from your link. However, if you type "replacement cable for sennheiser hd600" I'm fairly certain that you'll find what you seek.

BTW I've seen many references to poor cable contacts with Sennheiser headphones. I presume that you've checked the little plug on the ear piece. Some recommend using a spray to improve contact between cable and ear pieces.

3. SadMac

SadMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I plug the left can's cable into either side can I get no intermittency, while if I plug the right can's cable into either can I get intermittency, so I'm pretty sure it's the cable.

Quite upset it's gonna cost me 30 quid. You'd think 150 quid headphones would last longer than 2 years. :(

4. SadMac

SadMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This more like it?

(Sennheiser 81435 cable on that page)

5. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If it's gonna cost you £30 to buy a replacement stock cable then it might be worth looking for a second hand aftermarket cable that supposedly improve the sound quite markedly in some cases.

6. lordgibbness

lordgibbness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. SadMac

SadMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're suggesting I spend >100 quid on a new cable?!? With a 24 week waiting time no less! :eek:

They only cost me 150 new.

8. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Notice i did say second hand, obviously some cables will be more expensive than others and it doesn't make any sense to be spending £100 on the cable if you haven't even got a headphone amp and a decent source.

However, if it say costs £50 for an aftermarket cable that could provide some improvement on the stock cable (which for a replacement sounds like that could well cost £30 unless you go for a second hand one) then it might well be worthwhile.

9. SadMac

SadMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I can't find any second hand Zu, Cardas or Equinox cables anywhere. The new ones are all well, quite pricey shall we say. I think I shall stick to the stock ones as they are all that even come close to being affordable. I still think 30 quid is extortionate tbh.

Also the thought of spending 80 quid on a second cable that breaks in <2 years again really bothers me.

10. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cables regularly come up on www.headfi.org - admittedly that's mostly a US site but shipping via standard airmail should only be $15 or so if that's any help?

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Another place worth taking a look at is the following link

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=31

Given the current $/£ rates,the $25 charge for a Senheiser cable may be worth looking at.

There are the usual aftermarket cables available there also,which,irrespective of their considerable cost,can produce some improvement to the sound of the 600/650 phones,especially if the phones are being used with a good H/phone amp,where any improvements are really likely to be heard.

12. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with you on this. I think it's daft to spend £100-00 on a replacement cable for your Sennheisers. I have the HD580s and an Amber ANT amplifier. I'm very happy with my cans with or without the amplifier and with the stock cables, but I'm only a partial fashion victim.

13. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I'm sure one of my friends had this trouble with his, and he phoned sennheiser and they asked him to send the broken cable and they would send a new one to him.... might be worth a try.

14. koogar

koogar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i hear u SadMac i was livid ,

i wanted a HD650 cable to upgrade my HD580 Jubilees as the cable is alot better build quality and there is quite a raise in sound quality over the puny standard 580 cable,

i contacted the UK service appointed dealer they told me the lead would be £28 .now u can buy this same lead direct from Sennheiser USA for a measly $11 thats £6 :nono: . In response to this i emailed Sennheiser UK in a rather bad mood.

as follows......

spares@sennheiser.co.uk

Dear Sirs,

I am hoping you can help me locate a replacement cable for my HD650's .I followed the UK websites service links to James Marrow to which I enquired as to the costs of a new cable; I received a reply with the total of £28.
    On further investigation I have found that Sennheiser USA are selling this directly from them at a cost of $11 (£6) part number H-92885 (http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/ProductDetails.aspx?direct_cat=Parts&direct_prod=092885 )

Sennheiser websites in other countries sell this cables direct at not unreasonable prices, Germany 19.29 euros (£13), Australia $25aud (£10).To be quite honest I find the UK prices

Grossly excessive and show large unjust profiteering compared with Sennheiser in other countries. This is just another sign of the term “Rip off Britain”.

Am I being unfairly treated by your appointed service centre or is this the state of Sennheiser UK in general .After being a loyal Sennheiser customer for at least 20 years I find these disturbing business practices and will think twice about my choice of brand purchases in the future.

I await your reply with interest

Best Regards
    R.Hirst.........

i am waiting for a reply so we will se wot they say

k00g

15. Neil Porter

Neil Porter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had the exact same problem with my Sennheiser lead. It's a connection problem as the lead joins the plug at the headphone end.

I ended up getting a replacement from Eastern Audio who are my local Sennheiser stockist. It was about £25.

I did research better cables but couldn't believe how much they cost. Russ Andrews have an alternative too, also silly money.

Great headphones, I was lost for the few days it took me to sort it out.

16. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    this thread iis puzzzling me...when i've had sennheiser lead problems i've phoned sennheiser uk, said leads broke...i've sent lead to them and they've mailed me another one! Sennys come with 2 year guarantees :D

17. chris_caudy

chris_caudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did they ever reply to your e-mail?

18. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64

I was wondering about that. The 2 year guarantee will cover the cable too.

19. haselden

haselden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a pair of HD540's for years, and being of a practical 'make do and mend' mentality (ie. tight) I baulked at paying over £20 for a new lead. I repaired the existing lead by cutting the plastic plug open, removing the 2 small metal pin connectors, resoldering the leads to the connectors, noting that one is fatter than the other and must go on the correct wire to maintain polarity. I pushed the pins back into the headphone sockets, with a bit of tissue packing pushed in around them. I then used a 'hot melt' glue gun to completely seal around the plug socket area and fix the leads to the headphone. When the lead breaks again, which it will, the glue 'plug' is easily removed, and the repair can be done again.

I've repaired them quite a few times now, as they're in constant use. The only problem is the ear pads are gone now, and I believe they cost even more to replace, and I haven't found a way to repair them yet!!