Need a Remote & Advice...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Festerfly, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Festerfly

Festerfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Basically, having setup some of the AV equipment i have as a temporary measure until i get my new AV Stand/unit sorted an inital problem has come to light.

We currently have the following running:

Panasonic TH37PW7 Plasma
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    Nokia ONDigital Box (Running as a temporary freeview box - poor i know:D)
    Pioneer VSA-??? AV Receiver (soon to be replaced by a Sony STR-DB780)
    Joytech 540C Switcher (i know poorly reviewed but this one has been great so far!)

Now to watch a regular TV program i have to use 4x seperate remotes to get all this going and for my Wife that is just a little too much :suicide:. So i said i would look into getting a new all in one remote that would allow us to just press one button to get all the correct bits switched on, and up and running for instance the TV, Xbox etc.. I am assuming that i would need a remote with a Macro Function to do this? so that i can program it to go to various presets etc?? Any suggestions? I am not Richie Rich (sadly!) so the budget that we are/have been working on it minimal and will happily consider something last Generation, or even a PDA as i have a spare IPAQ doing nothing if that can be utilised easily?

The other consideration is that once the the new stand/entertainment centre unit has arrived i also have the following to install:

Sony PSX (Jap PVR/PS2/DVD-R etc)
    HTPC (yet to be built but based on an exisiting SFF PC like an Optiplex etc - see the budget thing again!)
    Panasonic EX77 PVR/DVD etc - (replacing the Nokia Box and to allow me to stop using the 360 as a DVD player! lol)

and also the possibility of future add-ons..

am i asking too much?

please help cos juggling so many remotes on just this temporary setup is doing my nut in aswell! :(

Cheers in advance! :smashin:

2. Festerfly

Festerfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    no one?

3. stefanr

stefanr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Everyone's out I think, they pretty much stick to their own clubs (threads). :)

Anyway seeing as no one answered my query I think I found my own solution, it might not be everyone's but eh, no recommendations mean you just have to stick your toe in yourself.

After a lot of searching I found the Logitech Harmony 555 Universal Remote from pixmaina via amazon, it's £45 + delivery so good value as most sell it for £55-£80. It does macros and custom menus i.e. will programme three DVD sources (from what I can see) so you don't have to or forced to use Aux / VCR inputs or those visual buttons etc and it will handle up to 15 devices with the all on/off facility. It won't do your blinds or lights though from what I can gather. Or cook your dinner.

I did look at a Philips and AllForOne kameleon something, the Harmony seems to trump those unless you want to spend silly money imo.

I'm sure you hang on long enough, a week or so, you may get other recommendations but down here it looks like your better doing your own research. :cool:

Sorry I can't be more helpful, as I don't know much about these either, as long at it keeps the wife happy without me having to purchase her any more Tiffany stuff I'm happy. :D

4. Festerfly

Festerfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Tiffany stuff is probably worth it in the long run at this rate! ;)

Thanks for the info mate, i was thinking that a Harmony model would be ideal.. just got to source me something now. The main thing is that it controls the AV equipment, as things like Lights/Curtains/Cheese Toasties etc are a bit too Techy for my wifes liking!

Will go do some further digging (read research!) and let you know how i get on!

5. timfg

timfg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've just bought a 555 from Pixmania (you'll find other threads from me in here relating to the experience) after several One4Alls over the years. At the price, I recommend it totally: It will control everything you want it to, and probably more that hadn't occurred to you. The Harmony model is predicated on 'macros' (Activities, in their parlance) - tell the software what kit you have, how it's connected and how you like to use it, and it will offer preset activities. You can control each device separately if you want, but rarely need to, if you've given enough thought to the activites that represent your normal usage.

At £40 odd, the 555 is the best value: If your budget will stretch further, consider the 8 series - but they're no more basically capable, just have nicer screens and rechargeability (which I personally don't like)... I went for the 555 as a toe in the Harmony water, but I can't see any reason to upgrade it....it does everything I need it to do (and more) in a nice, ergnomic form-factor.

6. Festerfly

Festerfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think that this sounds like the ideal solution.. Admittedly the lookds ofthe 8 series are nice and thetouchscreen etc, but i can see my kids breaking that in no time!

7. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Go for the harmony mate (525 or 555).

From the looks of your setup it will be able to do everything you want - i.e. switch it all on, swap between sources with a one button press.

The activities functionality works well and it keeps track of what state everything is in. Some remotes with macro functions just allow you to store a sequence of events. E.g. activity for watch sky when everything is off will power on the tv, power on the sky box and then set the correct input (if necessary). If you want to watch a DVD press the watch DVD activity and it will swap the input to the correct one, power on the DVD and then all the buttons control the DVD player, while the volume up / down still control the TV or AMP vulume. If you choose watch DVD when everything is off it'll know to put the TV on first etc.

It will take a bit of tweaking to get the setup right but it's well worth it.

There are a lot of flasher remotes out there with colour screens and touchscreens, but bear in mind the battery life will be poor and remotes get dropped a lot.

The online database and learning functions mean that this remote will keep going as you update your AV equipment.

My only comparison is a couple of kameleon remotes that I've tried and got rid of and the Harmony is miles better.

Can't recommend it enough (as you can see from my recent posts).

8. david.miller

david.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Despite my moans, I'd recommend the Harmony 555 (£42+postage, Amazon/pixmania) now too. It took a very late night, but it's working for me now. If your TV has discrete input selection codes it should be much easier too! :)

After several years of using the Sky+/Sky HD remote, SHMBO has been using the 555 all evening without complaint. :thumbsup:

9. timfg

timfg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Heh. You seem to have had the same evening as me. Mine is working tickety-boo after a few days of twiddling and some input from Canada to fix the input-switching. And I've insisted A. has done all the button pressing tonight, since I'm working away tomorrow - and she's now sold on it. Which is the main reason I bought it in the first place. Best £40 I've spent for yonks....although 100 AAs and 40 AAAs from Maplin, which I ordered tonight, is a remarkeably good deal too....:)

10. Festerfly

Festerfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Cheers everyone, think that the 555 might be the best bet for me and 'er indoors. Will let you know how i get one in due course and whether it passes the wife & family test!

Cheers

Lee

11. Festerfly

Festerfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Well i got myself a 555 and i must say im impressed.. Its does everything i ask of it (except the PS3 of course! ;) and the only downside so far is that my wife thinks its looks ugly.. she likes the features but hates the styling.

but hey ho! can't win them all!

12. timfg

timfg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Tell her you think the same about her - then you're quits.... :)