Need a RELIABLE wired ADSL router modem that will last longer than its warranty!

MPwannanetwork

Standard Member
My Linksys AG241 has packed up - it cannot hold a LAN connection up at 100M - I have to set my PC and laptop to 10M full duplex just to carry on using the internet.

No big deal by itself - except I bought the devolo homeplug and it can't maintain a connection with the router as I suspect its trying to auto negotiate the speed and both the 10M and 100M lights flash on the homeplug and it fails to connect.

So - I need a new modem router - can anyone recommend something that is reliable in terms of ADSL connections as well as reliable in terms of long term stability as I don't want to keep buying these things every 2 years!

Yes it has to be a wired router - I've got young kids in the house and I don't want to fry their brains let alone battle with securing the network and worrying about thick walls etc.

Mind you - maybe I should go for wireless after all - linksys give 3 years warranty on their wireless models compared to 1 year on wired!

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Netgear DG834 and switch the wireless off until you need it.

Good value for money, easy to set up, reliable (and two years warranty last time I looked).

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
Netgear DG834 and switch the wireless off until you need it.

Good value for money, easy to set up, reliable (and two years warranty last time I looked).

Agree with this entirely - I have a Netgear DG834G which has been providing sterling service for about 3 years now.

Coffin

Distinguished Member
I work in I.T and the Netgear DG834G is one of the most reliable routers out there.

In fact, the model itself (DG834G) is some 4/5 years old (ish), which is unprecedented for I.T 'consumer' equipment (although the software revisions for the model have obviously changed in time).

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
I work in I.T and the Netgear DG834G is one of the most reliable routers out there.

In fact, the model itself (DG834G) is some 4/5 years old (ish), which is unprecedented for I.T 'consumer' equipment (although the software revisions for the model have obviously changed in time).

Mine has been up almost permanently for over 4years now. Still one of the best routers you can buy, and it is ancient in a good way.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
In fact, the model itself (DG834G) is some 4/5 years old (ish), which is unprecedented for I.T 'consumer' equipment

Well some areas of it, mice and keyboards can stick around much longer than that and I dare say there's a good few five year old DVD drives availible.

The hardware has changed to, the DG834 is up to V3/V4 now.

tomd84

Well some areas of it, mice and keyboards can stick around much longer than that and I dare say there's a good few five year old DVD drives availible.

The hardware has changed to, the DG834 is up to V3/V4 now.
I aggree with all the above posts! Netgear DG384G is a great router had it working for many years now! the only reasons its been replaced with the DG384GT is becuase sky sent to me free and is an update!

MPwannanetwork

Standard Member
Thanks all for your suggestions - I bought the Netgear DG384 wired router - works like a dream.

Can't believe I've had it nearly a year already!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom