Need a quiet Freeview HDD Recorder

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As title say's, I need a freeview recorder that gives a good picture but is also quiet when in standby/running (will be located in a bedroom). Are the Topfields quiet?

Cheers

My topfield is very quiet and highly recommended. There's no fan in them so hardly any noise!

Topfields do cost a bit more, but in my opinion definitely worth it. I went from a Humax to a Toppy and have never regretted it!

My topfield is very quiet and highly recommended. There's no fan in them so hardly any noise!

Topfields do cost a bit more, but in my opinion definitely worth it. I went from a Humax to a Toppy and have never regretted it!

I have two of them both very quiet. I think people have found particular examples of most PVRs too noisy for them. Might be down to rogue examples; positioning; or just different perceptions of course.

A quick question for you Richard, you may remember that I am keen on buying a Topfield PVR and you have helped me by answering lots of queries, well here's another if you don't mind. I know that the Toppy has a USB port, can I connect my portable USB hard drive to the Toppy and transfer data from it's internal drive onto the portable hard drive maybe by installing a TAP to do this, then I could archive stuff onto DVD using my PC?

The Toppy would be in one room, my PC in another so getting the two together would not be easy.

Thanks

Gordon.

I'll answer this in the absence of Richard.

What you are asking is not possible. However it is possible via a tap to configure a wireless router to communicate with your pc... all the configuration setup is on the Toppy site.... somewhere :D

If you can't or don't want to stretch to the price of a Toppy, Houghsx, the Digihome is extremely quiet, and user-friendly in other ways too.

There's a Digihome forum here where you can find lots of info about it and its various clones.

clemenzina

the humax 8000t and the inverto are both deathly quiet.(both twin tuner models)

Well guys you have given me some good info so thank you all for your input. I will look at the units you suggest :smashin:

Can I connect my portable USB hard drive to the Toppy and transfer data from it's internal drive onto the portable hard drive maybe by installing a TAP to do this, then I could archive stuff onto DVD using my PC?

The Toppy would be in one room, my PC in another so getting the two together would not be easy.

You can't transfer to a portable drive, because you need a PC to drive the process. Nevertheless you can do what I have done in the past - connect to a PC in a different room, though it is long-winded. I have a PC upstairs and my Topfield downstairs. I have daisy-chained a series of USB cables (they are designed to overcome the shortcomings of USB insofar as cables are concerned) that I would temporarily connect the two machines with. The Altair software (client software downloaded from Topfield you need for the PC) will transfer the .rec files to your PC.

After that, you have to convert them to a format that you can archive to DVD, but you still need additional software to do this (there are freeware and shareware options). I do it so rarely now I forget what I use!

Thanks Ian for the info. I have just had a thought!!,(ouch..that hurt!), I have a laptop so I could install the software needed to do the transfer onto the laptop, then plug the laptop into the Toppy via USB2?.

I produce lots of wedding DVD's so I have all the software to do that, but would the filetype from the Toppy be Mpeg2 already, if so it would save me the bother of encoding it before placing it into my authoring programme?

Gordon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom