1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a quick first date suggestion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lovemunkey187, Jun 16, 2005.

1. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    and relatively cheap first date suggestion for this weekend.

Would prefer something a little bit more original than movie and meal.

:lease:

2. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,542
    but a movie and a meal is perfect for a first date...why would you want to do anything else? If you do anything too special then you may be expected to maintain that level.

3. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I want it to seem as though I've put some thought into it and not just gone for the cop out option, even though I'll possibly be taking the idea from someone on here.

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Make it a daytime date and go for a nice walk, always good for conversation and no hang up's about what and how to eat at a meal ;)

5. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Whatever you do, Go Dutch :)

KH

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't go to watch a film, sitting next to someone in near silence for 2 hours is not a good way to get to know somebody. It's always going to be that way that girls liked being made to feel special and a romantic meal is a classic for a good reason.

7. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would second, leaving out the movie. It can be difficult to pick the right film and it is quite an anti social 2 hours.

Go for the meal but don't make it too formal for the first occasion as you need to be able to relax with her ( this is not an excuse to go to KFC ).

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bowling!!! then go to a tgi's ect nice fun night normally close togather those type of gaffs

9. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would just go for a drink then you aren't going to be spending lots of cash on the meal. Fair dos you want it to be special but if the company is right then it will be. If shes put off from the fact that you didn't take her for a meal then shes a plum!

Special and romantic should only be considered when theres a spark. Just as a question to gage where you should go how old are you?

10. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I like the minigolf idea but the closest one is Skeg-Vegas, which is about an hour and half each way and if we don't get on then it could be a really long journey.

Everyone keeps suggesting food ideas, good but if/when I'm attracted to someone then I have no appetite. And that isn't good if you're eating with a woman.

11. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'm 29 and she's 24. We both work for the same company but at different depots, so we don't "know" each other well.

I wanted to keep the costs downnot because I'm a cheap :oops: , but because I didn't want to appear flash.

12. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Ask her what she wants to do.
    First dates are really scary I ve never done them i just used to get drunk and wait for a woman to make the first move. (that didnt happen to often either) That way the 1st date was a drunken blur and you can only improve on it :D

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    Why don't you do what I used to do, drive into Clumber park and wait until it gets dark......
    A very cheap night out for 2 and it sets the tone for the rest of the relationship as she knows her place ;)

14. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Also going to Clumber would entertain the doggers as well.

15. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    if the weather's hot and sunny - how about a picnic...ahh...that will woo any women...nice bottle of vino, the co-op have a deal on where some good wines are 1/2 price...
    I like grand marnier and champers, but cava is a good subsitute...!

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    I'm surprised Mr Cat, I thought you'd be on those nice Geordie shandies I tried when I was up there for the England game - half a pint of Dog topped up with Smirnoff Ice :)

17. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You don't want her to reply to her friends when they ask her how the date was with the words "relatively cheap" :laugh:

18. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Where ever we go I won't be drinking as I'll be driving, and getting her tanked on a bottle of plonk isn't the way to go.

I'm not going with the intention of seeing her nekkid, maybe in a couple of dates time, but not straight off of the bat.

19. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    blimey..! never heard of that one before...

but I've moved to weardale...better taste out here...*cough*
    even the sheep are more like ladies than the geordie lasses... :D

20. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tell her mates that they'll all go awwwwwwwww

Or ewwwwwwwwwwwww:laugh:

21. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See thats where you are going wrong! Seriously I've been back on the dating seen since breaking up from a long term relationship and the usual format is arrange to meet somewhere! Don't go picking anyone up and don't drive. Being somewhere where there is a bit of music and a vibe is good so if shes boring you can watch the rest of the tottie and pass the time. Don't do anything to heavy on the first date, drinks are good enough and then you loosen up a little and loosening up is good because you relax.

If you get on well in a relaxed atmosphere try dinner for the second or 3rd date. Maybe you can then think about picking her up but you never know you may want to do a runner when she refuses to get a round in!

Good luck!! And remeber if you are bored get sloshed and watch the rest of the talent!

22. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    You really haven't had a lot of experience with women have you?

They will always classify you on the first few outings based on your percieved worst attribute.

You stand a much better chance of continuing your relationship if you are classified as "a bit flash" than if you are "stingy and drab".

hint: (women like flash ... even if they don't approve they will find it amusing but you must carry it off with gusto and light-heartedness).

If you take her somewhere for a meal either make it very nice and trendy ( a nice place that does good cocktails is always good) or somewhere entertaining , sushi bars with the conveyer belts are always good fun with lots of opportunity for goofing off.

Okomonoyaki (japanese pancake omlette type thing with choice of toppings) is always good fun too if they make it on the table.

Try and pick somewhere thats new and unusual for both of you , that way its neutral territory. Nothing more annoying than taking someone to a restaurant on a first date where you are on first name basis with the maitre de and then telling them precisely what they should order.

Relax and make entertainment the priority

23. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    There aren't a great deal of sushi bars or similar in the Notts/S.Yorkshire area AFAIK,though the Ginza Teppan Yaki restaurant,Mansfield Rd. Nottingham is a fun night out if not exactly cheap.Juggling eggs etc can get a bit messy,but your date may be impressed by your smooth action.Little alcohol required,green tea all round acceptable.Have fun whatever you choose.

24. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    After I'd been dating a woman for a while she admitted that she'd thought I was a "yuppie" after the first date. Those of you that have met me can stop laughing now! The point is that we ended up going out for nearly a year. Being generous (not totally over the top, and act cool - don't draw attention to the fact) won't harm your chances of a 2nd date.

Cheers,
    Liam

25. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Travel Inn is only £50!

26. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I like the idea of a modern vibe place to eat. Chill out and chat - though the aforementioned bowling sounds the best so far.... :smashin:

By the way, in case of nerves, a friend once said that it is wise to go onto a date with 5 - 10 subject matters in your head in case things go quiet. For instance, you could ask - So, you into big brother, is Beckham a cheat?, nuclear fusion - does it work and so on! Scan the papers this week for ideas :lesson:

have a good time and let us know how you get on and what you decide to do.....

27. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  28. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Arrgghhh no!! My idea of a first date from hell :eek: But a monkey in a bikini is not the best combination :D

Food is always a good idea as it it gives you the opportunity to talk and get to know each other better. Like the idea of a picnic but you've got to rely on the weather... Not too expensive but agree that you need to make a bit of an impression - and not one of being a cheapskate :D

At the end of the day though - if you get on with each other its not really going to matter where you go....you'll end up having a great time.

29. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I booked a table at a chinese restaurant that has just reopened, and from the five or six people that suggested it the only bad comment that any of them came up with was that they couldn't manage all of the buffet for two between himself and his wife. All of them have said how good the food and service is. Apparently it's anice cozy kind of atmosphere as well.

oh MrD you're correct my experience of the fairer sex is limited, but in my defence being raised as the youngest of 5 with no brothers has meant that women don't hold the same allure as they do for some.

Was given the swimming suggestion by a couple of other people, which had one up side and one downside on the :smashin: I'd get to see her in not alot :) and on the :thumbsdow she'd get to see alot of me. Was also given the suggestion of going paintballing, I see this as more of a "you're ditched" kind of date, starting a possible relationship going somewhere and shooting each other is sending out the wrong message, me thinks.
    Bowling may be a possibility down the line, I've never been and so will make a pratt of myself, not that I mind, but I'd rather wait until we've gotten to know each other a little better before I make a complete pillock out of myself.

30. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    Been a long time since my first date :rolleyes:

As I rememeber (about 9 years ago) it was bowling+meal+video+ :censored: and we're still together :smashin:

In other words a day long date with a varied mix, so plenty of talkng points and distractions.

RDB :)