1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a push in the right direction

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by neilmcl, Jan 11, 2005.

1. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I can't make my mind up between buying a HDTV ready LCD now or a CRT and wait for a year or two until the technology improves. I can see the pros and cons in all my current choices but just need a nudge in the right direction.

Choices are:

Philips 32PF9986 - great picture but just a bit on the big size, if they brought out a 32" version of the 42PF9966 with PP2 and ambilight I'd probably go for that.
    Sharp 32GD1E - similar to philips in pq but more expensive at the mo, size is good but I'm not sure about pq with Sky+.
    Tosh 32WL48 - how do this rate with the above two?

And finally, a Tosh 32ZP48 CRT - must be better pq than the LCDs, much cheaper, a good compact size for a CRT, but no HDTV.

I'd appreciate your opinions.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good question Neil. There must be loads of people with these very thoughts in mind. I was in a similar situation myself and decided to go for the Philips 9986.

However, other factors may effect your decision. Things like....if you buy the CRT now, what are you going to do with it in a couple of years when you replace it? Can you move it on easily? Another room? Granny?

Philips will no doubt be producing more TV's with Ambilight and PP2. If you want the best picture, but don't like the 9986 (quite a few don't) then wait...

The Toshiba 32WL48 is a good TV. Not in the league of the 9986, but it is considerably cheaper....bit of a cop out for you though...

If the looks of the 9986 don't offend you too much, and to me it's a handsome brute, then it is worth every penny. Currently the best picture combined with fantastic features and completely future proof....

Mind you OLED and SED screens await us soon...they should be awsome..

Confused?

Jimmy

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I do quite the look of the Philips but unfortunatley as I won't be wall mounting it, it's a little to big to sit in the corner of the living room particularly as I'll need a similarly sized stand. If it was around the 800mm wide mark then it would be perfect. I've sent an email to Philips customer services to see if they are likely to produce a smaller 32" LCD without the NXT speaker surround in the near future.

What's the pq like with Sky+/Sky Digital withe the 9986?

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    PQ with Sky is great. The PP2 can struggle a bit with some of the poorer broadcasts, but still manages to turn out a very presentable picture. If you want, I can send you some screen shots taken last week. Contact me privately with your Email address.

Back to your point about the 9986. 'If only Philips made a TV like the 9986 but without the Monolith speakers'......well they do, kind of.

The 9976.

This has all the features of the 9986, minus the Ambilight and the PP2. (It has PP1). It also has a very slim, pretty frame which only measures 875mm across. It is fully HDTV ready. It is also only £1400+.

Pictures and facts on www.philips.co.uk

Hope this helps,

Jimmy :smashin: