Need a processor any suggestions

T

thxultra1977

I have the Rotel 1098 and now I have the upgrade bug. Just wondering if anyone can suggest one for me?

Budget?
You could pickup a Lexicon DC-2 or MC-1 for under £700, if you don't mind not having 5.1 analogue input. It'll do the usual Dolby Digital and DTS modes, plus Logic 7 (7.1 expansion)

You could pickup a Lexicon DC-2 or MC-1 for under £700...

Sorry for the micro-hi-jack but considering the MC1's age ... how would DD & DTS processing compare to new recievers available in the £700 region!

Also - would an MC1 be an upgrade from the 1098 ?

With some careful buying I bet you could get an older lexicon and have an 8 channel by pass added all for the £700 mark, As for DD and DTS I would guess logic 7 would still have a significant edge and be the preferred choice. Just a guess, but input from some one who had compared the MC/DC1/2 directly with recent rotels would be very interesting

you could look at 2nd parasound halo and classic processors, the tag mclarens, audiolab, as menstioned lexicons (imo i think a little old now and maybe no better than your rotel) but its all dependant on your budget - you could afford a 2nd lexcion mc8/12!

First of all and I would say this wouldn't I, the Lexicon MC-1 despite it's age is a very very good processor, recently I owned an MC-8 for 3 months and the improvement was so negligible I sold the MC-8.

I to have the upgrade bug and I think I have settled on the NAD T175 because out of the box it will support LPCM over HDMI from my PS3 & XE1.

Secondly the modular design allows an upgrade path for the processor to decode DD+, TrueHD & DTS-MA at a future date.:)

The MC1 is still a fantastic processor. I have the Parasound C2 which is much newer; it does have the advantage of analogue 7.1 inputs and the 2-channel performance is better but the surround steering of the MC1 is just as good and the logic7 is excellent. I will be selling my C2 as part of a complete makeover and I may well go for another MC1 to tide me over.

Grey Torq: the NAD T175 seems a good idea. How does it compare to the MC8? The T175 will be a great switcher!! Is there any processors out there that have a similar spec to the T175?

I have to admit it is a little like blind faith at the moment it was either the NAD T175 or the Audiolab 8000AP, I think the TI chip in the NAD and the earlier refered to modularity gives a future proof solution, however until I actually have one, I can't vouch for the sound quality.

I have one on order but there doesn't seem to be any reviews yet due to how new the thing is!

The reason I want to upgrade is not having LPCM over HDMI is the thing nagging away at me, I could be making a mistake but I have to find out!:rolleyes:

Never been too impressed with Rotel av pre-amps, especially after a mates awful Rotel RSP-966. Poweramps, yes. pre-amps, no.

is the Audiolab 8000AP a Tag AV32R but in a different shell?

No

There is a seperate thread on the Audiolab 8000AP and they have had the 8000AV out for over 12 months (which was a Tag AV30R), the 8000AP removes all video processing and passes HDMI, whilst extracting the LPCM.

If you're cynical you might imagine they've just added on HDMI to an old design, you could be right but until someone gets hold of one and opens it we won't know.

If you could stretch your budget a bit then the MC-4 in the Classified section looks good to me.

The MC-4 is actually a very safe bet, 2 sets of 5.1 analogue inputs, enough for a HD-DVD player & a Blu-ray player.

Let the players decode the HD sound formats, let the processor do DD/DTS over SPDIF, future proof.

You can all laugh at me when I get the NAD and it sounds like a cheap receiver!:eek:

Highly unlikely - especially if it's based (loosely!) on the Master Series.

Fingers crossed, I'd rather buy it and use it in my own setup for a while to judge as that's really the only way you know for sure. If there's something I don't like I'm not going to lose much by selling it on. They are likely to be in short supply anyway and nothing except for the Audiolab will be available this side of xmas. I'll also hopefully get £500 ish for the MC-1 so it's not that big a risk.:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom